Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Child goes crazy on flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:26 pm

I couldn't get through more than a few seconds of the video, but for me the biggest factor in this things is whether the parents keep trying to keep the kid quiet or if they just give up and try to make themselves comfortable. When it is the latter, that's when I have no sympathy for the parents.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 7:35 pm

I was wondering what smartphone was able to record for 8 hours. But I guess there isn't 8 hours of video
Old Feb 15, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by lighting
For the passanger to publish a video of a child titled 'demonic child' is disgusting and shameful. He should hang his head in shame, it's bullying and shaming a child. What is wrong with this world?

The problems here is not NOT WITH THE CHILD.

Sickening.
The problem is with the child and with the parents. Did the child or the parents compensate everyone on the plane by reimbursing them for their airfare and paying them $1,000 each for the disruption? If not, anyone on that plane has the right to say anything they wish about the little hellion. I agree the parents are to blame, but the screams were demonic.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:07 am

It isn't a human right to fly, and I doubt the reason for the trip from New York to Germany was related to saving the kids life or improving his disability, the latter of which is a 21st-century excuse for bad parenting. 30 years ago children, regardless of their disability, wasn't allowed to wreck havoc on everyone because their Ipads didn't work.

I have no sympathy for the parents. They should've been offloaded if they cannot restrain their child as needed. I don't care which disabilities the child has, or the mom who obviously didn't do anything to stop any of this, they can row home for all I care. It isn't acceptable to inconvenience 200 people because you cannot be bothered to be a good parent.
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 5:26 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
As a frequent passenger, father of former babies/toddler/children/teenager and close relative of an autistic child, I do not blame but one individual: the person portrayed as the mother in the video. This so far beyond any socially acceptable norm and a torture for the child (never mind the rest of the pax on the plane) that I cannot come up with any reason as to why she would put her child through this.

This female individual (not sure if she was the mother) should have known that this behavior pattern was developing. I am speechless at her indifference and cluenessless. Offering her disembark before takeoff or restraining the child would have been sensible.

And yes, I walked about 10k in a 747 LH C-class galley on a JFK FRA flight (there is sufficient space for about 15 shuffle steps ;-) for about four hours to prevent her from disturbing fellow pax in C. Worked just fine.

When our children were older (aka walking by themselves), we always made sure that they had run out of energy by the time that boarding started. I am quite certain that I have completed an entire marathon in JFK T1 over the years. Works wonder.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:03 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
I would have gotten the captain involved - the child climbing over the seats is a major security risk.
Throwing the security issue at the captain should get some results!
In tubulence he might knock someones head of injuring them. I would have the captain protocol that he is aware that the child is roaming around the cabin unsecured....
I would not have been fine when the child was not secured during taxi I would have raised my concern with the purser right then....get up and get the purser!
Only of course if I would have been seated anywhere near the stinker....
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 6:04 am

pribably the most selfish thing I’ve ever read, who the hell do you think you are?

id choose to sit next to a real baby on a plane over an adult baby.
I'd rather not sit in the vicinity of any kind of disruptive presence. I keep to myself, don't drink, don't talk, don't even usually turn on the IFE during flights, I try to sleep most of the time. And I'm not singling out parents. Drunks who act disruptively, groups of partying people who try to turn a flight into a night club etc. they're all a**holes.

And there is nothing selfish in what I wrote as I am putting the needs of the many over the desires of the few. Flights are generally pretty quiet, serene environments as the vast majority of passengers aren't there to socialize or experience 'hustle and bustle', they are mostly just trying to get through the flight in peace. This isn't a public square or a New York subway for that matter. People pay a lot of money to fly and nowadays not a lot can be expected, but 'not being caught in a nightmare come to life' seems like a fair expectation. And yes being stuck in a place for 8-9 hours with a little kid running around screaming, climbing up all over the place or what else *is* that. It's like the story from "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" except with the gremlin *inside* the cabin.
hugolover and AlicorporateUK like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
If this child was jumping around unrestrained during taxiing, this should have been dealt with before take-off.

The parent(s)/guardian(s) of this child should have been ordered to keep him restrained. If they were unable or unwilling to do that, the plane should have returned to gate to offload them.

This is regardless of whatever real or perceived disability this child has. However, a society has been created, whereby the needs and demands of individuals have been allowed to reign supreme and are pandered to at all costs, regardless of the impact this has on others.

Service providers, including airlines, have become so terrified of being accused of - or increasingly likely sued for - discrimination, that they have become increasingly willing to overlook behaviour which unreasonably impinges on the comfort of others.

Young children are always going to create a certain amount of disruption on a long flight. This has to be expected and accepted by the rest of society. However, a reasonable balance needs to be struck.

Parents and guardians have a responsibility to take reasonable steps to ensure that their children do not behave in a manner which significantly compromises the comfort or safety of others.

This means ensuring that the child sits down with the seatbelt fastened when required, does not constantly run around the aircraft and keeps any noise occasional and a reasonable level.

If a child is truly incapable of doing this, or parents are unwilling to enforce it, then a commercial airliner is not a suitable environment to bring that child into.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 8:23 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by will2288
I couldn't get through more than a few seconds of the video, but for me the biggest factor in this things is whether the parents keep trying to keep the kid quiet or if they just give up and try to make themselves comfortable.
If the child in question is disabled, then these parents are likely to have this 24/7 and that probably for the rest of their lives.

This thread has brought out in the worst in this forum and community.
It could be worse. Comments elsewhere have been way worse with some suggesting tasering the child, euthanasia, and simply drugging the kid to the point that it's just a mindless zombie. Without wanting to go too deep into the political, this pretty much reflects society's reaction to mental illness: Drug them and put them away. Don't want to hear, see, or interact with them. Sad, but unfortunately true in most countries...

Originally Posted by airmotive
What’s wrong with shaming a child?

For a start, the child would have to be able to understand the objective of shaming and the reason of shaming. I have serious doubt that the child in the video can understand either which makes the whole idea pretty pointless.

You could blame the parents given that more intense parenting and special needs education could go a long way in teaching the child to understand and handle its own disability but even if parents do everything right there's guarantee of success. Some children react much better to special needs education than others.

----

Here's my .02: While this was without a doubt an unpleasant flight, I have some sympathy for the child insofar that he almost certainly didn't do it intentionally (i.e. merely for the purpose of annoying everyone else). I even have sympathy for the parents. They have this 24/7 for the next decades. Mental health is a topic that is unfortunately not receiving the attention it needs and making the symptoms of a failing system go away seems to be more important to some than looking into how individuals could be helped master their disability.
tom tulpe, klausa and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by WorldLux
If the child in question is disabled, then these parents are likely to have this 24/7 and that probably for the rest of their lives.

It could be worse. Comments elsewhere have been way worse with some suggesting tasering the child, euthanasia, and simply drugging the kid to the point that it's just a mindless zombie. Without wanting to go too deep into the political, this pretty much reflects society's reaction to mental illness: Drug them and put them away. Don't want to hear, see, or interact with them. Sad, but unfortunately true in most countries...

For a start, the child would have to be able to understand the objective of shaming and the reason of shaming. I have serious doubt that the child in the video can understand either which makes the whole idea pretty pointless.

You could blame the parents given that more intense parenting and special needs education could go a long way in teaching the child to understand and handle its own disability but even if parents do everything right there's guarantee of success. Some children react much better to special needs education than others.

----

Here's my .02: While this was without a doubt an unpleasant flight, I have some sympathy for the child insofar that he almost certainly didn't do it intentionally (i.e. merely for the purpose of annoying everyone else). I even have sympathy for the parents. They have this 24/7 for the next decades. Mental health is a topic that is unfortunately not receiving the attention it needs and making the symptoms of a failing system go away seems to be more important to some than looking into how individuals could be helped master their disability.
So much for your "psycho babble". Bottom line, there's no way passengers should have to put up with that kind of behavior, for whatever reason.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
There are plenty of times that parents can take breaks from their kids, even disabled ones. But a TATL flight is not that time. The parents have an obligation to do whatever they can to keep the child quiet, even if it means them not relaxing the whole flight. Short of that, they deserve to be shamed, IMO. There are such things as bad parents. And at least on this day, they were.
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 9:40 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
The child was clearly a risk to others and therefore should have been removed ASAP!
awestphal likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC

You said ‘tied down’ not ‘wearing his seatbelt’ - if you don’t know the difference the the police are probably going to feature prominently in your life 🙄
If the child or person in question needs more restraint than the provided seatbelt, for their safety and the others on the plane, they should not be boarding the plane.
I’m able to “tie myself down” with the provided equipment just fine.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
Actually, just having managed to view the full video (couldn't bear to watch the entire video the first time around), I find that Lufthansa (and the female being that might or not might have been the mother) has materially failed their pax here. A screaming child can and will exceed 85 db easily. That level is an occupational hazard.

In the video, you'll notice a female passenger in an aisle seat not only visibly cringing, but being startled at the scream emitting child running through the aisle. That small sequence in itself should have been enough to have a cabin service director intervene on behalf of the other passengers.

This was a daytime, 8h flight (FRA-EWR). I can't bear to imagine how the TATL eastbound flight as a redeye played out.
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by will2288
There are plenty of times that parents can take breaks from their kids, even disabled ones. But a TATL flight is not that time. The parents have an obligation to do whatever they can to keep the child quiet, even if it means them not relaxing the whole flight. Short of that, they deserve to be shamed, IMO. There are such things as bad parents. And at least on this day, they were.
You think that the parents would be 'relaxed' sitting next to their kid screaming? Your logic is based on the assumption that you can do something and the child will adequately react. Considering that nobody on the airplane managed to calm the child down, I'd say it was pretty much impossible to calm it down.

I think that it is unfair to pass judgement on someone dealing a situation, most of us had never to solve. Sure kids can be difficult and parents should calm them down, but I don't think this was merely a kid being "difficult". It will not react to "sit down and be quiet", shaming, etc. It will not understand if you tie it down. If anything, it will scream more.

Originally Posted by rbwpi
So much for your "psycho babble". Bottom line, there's no way passengers should have to put up with that kind of behavior, for whatever reason.
1) Pretty weak as a reply
2) The last part of your reply pretty much sums up what I've been saying, i.e. that nobody wants to give a sh** about mental health and anyone with such a disability is to stay home, be quiet and not annoy anyone else.
MichielR and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.