Search

FRA-DXB, 747 or 330

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
FRA-DXB, 747 or 330

Hi all,

I plan to spend a week in Dubai in May with wife and daughter (<2y).

Normally I would fly with EK as at that time I will be gold, but LH at the moment is 400 Euros cheaper.

I will fly ex-HAM, therefore I will have to connect in FRA.

LH website during a booking simulation shows A330, but Flightradar24 shows 747 (now, not in May).

How is the IFE on both of them compared to ICE on EK777?

Thanks

Marco

Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:09 pm

Last time I flew LH 747-8 was 2 months ago. Never flew A330. ICE is much much better than IFE from any aspect even if you get the oldest version. Latest one is like the cinema :-)
When you're used to ICE and fly LH, you feel 'like in that good old days'. I wouldn't bother since the price difference is really big and you will probably have other things to do during that few hours.
Old Jan 31, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by petercek
Last time I flew LH 747-8 was 2 months ago.
It looks like the 748 was only a few flights in October (LINK), and OP will be on a 744 which has a older IFE system. I flew this route on the 744 (in biz) last year, and the IFE is weak.

ICE is really, really good but I don't think it is 400euros good. You could get a used iPad and some movie downloads with the extra money.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:48 am

I was on the 748 FRA-JFK, not to DXB. I would never pay even 100 EUR more just for the entertainment system (6h flight...) so completely agree with you. When you fly EU->AUS->EU, this becomes more important.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 4:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The A330 and B744 has the RAVE ife, the B748 the Panasonic ex2, both have the same content.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by MarcoGT
Hi all,

I plan to spend a week in Dubai in May with wife and daughter (<2y).

Normally I would fly with EK as at that time I will be gold, but LH at the moment is 400 Euros cheaper.

I will fly ex-HAM, therefore I will have to connect in FRA.

LH website during a booking simulation shows A330, but Flightradar24 shows 747 (now, not in May).

How is the IFE on both of them compared to ICE on EK777?

Thanks

Marco

I can only strongly advise you not to choose LH 747-400 for this flight with an infant.

Having flown this route regularly in the past, I have found this flight to be extremely inconvenient with the baby.
This is due to these two reasons:
1. The bassinet seats are the worst seats I have ever flown in within LH group. It smells very much due to the toilet; many people are standing near the seat all the time due to the toilet; the bassinet is fixed to the wall very high so that you can not see the infant easily; there is light going on/off at the seat and at the infant bassinet due to the toilet door opening/closing all the time as well as due to the kitchen.
2. The flight times are extremely bad for the return flight. Dubai airport is very big, and it is always a real pain to fly from there in the middle of the night. Baby was crying very often, boarding process is a mess (worst of all LH airports in the whole world!!). The flight is too short to sleep well and too long to stay awake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.