Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which is the best flight in J for Lufthansa?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Which is the best flight in J for Lufthansa?

I'm in the midst of planning my RTW J journey under Star Alliance. And Lufthansa is one of the airlines I would love to experience!

I don't have a fixed plan yet, but open to suggestion!

1. Which is the best aircraft to fly J?
2. Which flight is the best to experience the inflight dining? Eg lunch or dinner is usually better than breakfast.
3. Best Lufthansa's J lounge is in Frankfurt I presume?

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by behyx
I'm in the midst of planning my RTW J journey under Star Alliance. And Lufthansa is one of the airlines I would love to experience!

I don't have a fixed plan yet, but open to suggestion!

1. Which is the best aircraft to fly J?
2. Which flight is the best to experience the inflight dining? Eg lunch or dinner is usually better than breakfast.
3. Best Lufthansa's J lounge is in Frankfurt I presume?

Thanks!
1. For me 747-8 in the upper deck or in the D/G seats in the lower deck... My colleagues tell me that A350 is the best but I have not tried it out myself
2. Lunch and dinner are always better than the breakfast on all LH flights - my personal opinion again
3. The best Lounges you can enter with a C ticket is at a non LH HUB -> HKG for example with the SQ Lounge that you can use. but the C lounges are not bad in FRA
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: LH FTL
I don't think you can choose a flight like that hah
for example I flew LH J from FRA to BOS on the upper deck of a 747-800 (daytime flight).
return was A340-600 BOS-MUC (nightime flight) .
ofcourse I was more excited for the flight on the 747 and thought it will be better..
However on that particular flight the business class was full, the flight attendants on the upper deck super young and kinda slow hah
So to my surprise the night flight on the A340 had was much better service - wise and I slept like a baby.. .
dont get me wrong, both were very good, just dont know if u can pick the best aircraft/route hah
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
1. +1 on 747-8 upper deck. Like the ambiance better than the A350 seats.
2. Lunch. Definitely lunch. Forget about breakfast in C.
3. I'd rate FRA and MUC longhaul C lounges just <meh>. Nice but nothing worth remembering.

Slightly OT, but if you plan RTW * in C with a European longhaul carrier thrown in the mix, I'd go for SWISS anytime. Their longhaul product (especially the single seat seats of the front C mini cabin) beat LH by miles. Also, the SWISS longhaul Terminal E lounge in ZRH is one of the best business lounges, anywhere (open air dining with full view of the airfield, anybody?) - at least in my opinion and experience which includes The Pier in HKG and Emirates in DXB.
In terms of lounges, if at all possible, it'd go for the FCT in FRA with LH - it's a step beyond anything, anywhere (can't say I've enjoy the residence lounge in AUH given the lack of natural light).
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by Kid Flyer
3. The best Lounges you can enter with a C ticket is at a non LH HUB -> HKG for example with the SQ Lounge that you can use. but the C lounges are not bad in FRA
The UA Polaris lounge in ORD is also better than any LH C lounge that I've experienced. From the lounge it is easy to go to a UA or LH operated long-haul flight to Europe, but e.g., LX and SK depart from a different terminal at ORD.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by clifford79
The UA Polaris lounge in ORD is also better than any LH C lounge that I've experienced. From the lounge it is easy to go to a UA or LH operated long-haul flight to Europe, but e.g., LX and SK depart from a different terminal at ORD.
You can also fly with LOT out of ORD and use that lounge (different terminal still applies but that's a none issue if you connect from a domestic flight). And you can then use the LO WAW lounge which while often crowded, is way better provisioned then any LH lounge. And LO business class is better too :-).
Old Jan 26, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF gold, HHdiamond
Originally Posted by awestphal
3. I'd rate FRA and MUC longhaul C lounges just <meh>. Nice but nothing worth remembering.

Slightly OT, but if you plan RTW * in C with a European longhaul carrier thrown in the mix, I'd go for SWISS anytime. Their longhaul product (especially the single seat seats of the front C mini cabin) beat LH by miles. Also, the SWISS longhaul Terminal E lounge in ZRH is one of the best business lounges, anywhere (open air dining with full view of the airfield, anybody?) - at least in my opinion and experience which includes The Pier in HKG and Emirates in DXB.
In terms of lounges, if at all possible, it'd go for the FCT in FRA with LH - it's a step beyond anything, anywhere (can't say I've enjoy the residence lounge in AUH given the lack of natural light).
+1 !!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!!

Yes I am actually planning to take SWISS in one of my sectors too! And I looked at Seatguru, the forward C mini cabin looks really nice and private! For their 343 and 77W fleet, I reckon both are equally good?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:57 am

Also support 748 upper deck.

and I prefer that way over Swiss - either on 346 or 777. Definitely prefer it over LO.

was underwhelmed by LH A350.

if I were to throw in another LH Group airline it’d be OS in either 763 or 772.
Old birds, but reasonably well maintained
and meal service is rather good (wine and coffee choices, too). But still: to me LH 748 UD is best.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:46 am

Upper deck has the pretty neat small cabin feel. But the LH seat and service is the worst of the bunch.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 2:28 pm

I don't know why LX gets so much praise here. Yes, the "throne" seats are pretty decent, but if you don't pay for them, or are at least SEN, your chance of them being available at checkin are tiny if not existing. And getting an "aisle" seat with the tiny armrest kind of sucks (luckily only got those on op-ups, so won't complain)

Regarding lounges, the C lounge in E isn't really much. Show cooking? Hardly much. 3-4 dishes, almost all now served in bulk, or "prepared" by taking out of a huge wok/pan. Live cooking? only for breakfast. Quality? Not bad, but I know at least a dozen hub lounges that offer better food. The Pier is one of them. SQ in SIN is one of them. DXB is one of them. I even preferred the food in the terrible "Business" lounge in DOH. The view is indeed great (but the balcony often closed), and the bar in the SEN side is great if you've access AND you like Whisky (not much other drinks, though)

Generally, ZRH is a nice sweet airport, but I don't understand all the praise it gets. The new First class lounge in E is great, and with the new checkin in A it will be very good for F travellers Ex-ZRH too, but I can't see why anyone would say that travelling Ex-ZRH in C is great. It's good, better than some airports, but not really outstanding. And the LX C product on European flights has - if you allow my words - quite brutally lost appeal to myself.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:07 pm

I recently got the tiny arm rest isle and was actually pretty impressed with the seat as I generally don't like this staggered setup.

HKG, SIN and DXB are bit out of the way if you're crossing the Atlantic, so I'd still choose the LX E lounges over most of the alternatives.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Lack
Upper deck has the pretty neat small cabin feel. But the LH seat and service is the worst of the bunch.

I find LH cabin service generally quite classy. I mostly deal with crew that are genuinely friendly, but never over the top and decidedly competent.

Am mostly underwhelmed by service on LX where I find cabin staff, while competent, often slightly too distant.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Some widely divergent views here.

LH I like the 748 UD best, too. Haven't flown the 350. The seat is not great.

LH 77W is a nice aircraft in J. For privacy, I'll take a middle aisle with the table on the aisle-side over any LH J seat. The LX 343 is old and much less spacious with not enough seat cushion.

I'm a big fan of LH service, and the food is usually pretty good. LX, not so much.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Some widely divergent views here.

LH I like the 748 UD best, too. Haven't flown the 350. The seat is not great.

LH 77W is a nice aircraft in J. For privacy, I'll take a middle aisle with the table on the aisle-side over any LH J seat. The LX 343 is old and much less spacious with not enough seat cushion.

I'm a big fan of LH service, and the food is usually pretty good. LX, not so much.
widely agree. Only re 77W Kacee most probably refers to LX as LH doesn’t operate 77W in passenger service yet.
Kacee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.