Wiki Posts
Search

Being called by last name in economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Being called by last name in economy

I was in Europe this past weekend and flew 4 flights with LH for short hops (FRA-VIE, flights like that length). I was sitting in Y, either in one of the exit rows or the row right before it. I am a UA plat, million miler, and *G, but nothing special really.

Anyways, on two of the flights I was called by my last name by the main FA serving drinks. This blew me away. I don't even get called by last name in UA F with a paid F ticket. This was a discounted economy fare with absolutely no status on LH and I only fly them about 5 times a year or so in Europe. I don't recall it happening on any previous LH flights.

Anyone else had this? This was wild to me, unbelievably impressive. Not only to do it, but to remember the name after serving 10-12 full rows ahead of me. Was this simply due to *G status? I really can't think of why I'd be that important to them to call me by my last name. LH went up a couple notches in my book after this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: LX SEN
The cause was definitely the *G and/or your seats at the exit rows which requires the FA to mirandize you. While I often witnessed it on long haul, especially in C and with status passengers, it is less frequent on short flights. I never got that treatment as my last name is too complicated and requires a philological lecture before it can be spoken.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've experienced this multiple times on LH short haul flights. Definitely due to *G status.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Miles & More, Victoria
Originally Posted by UAL250
Anyone else had this? This was wild to me, unbelievably impressive. Not only to do it, but to remember the name after serving 10-12 full rows ahead of me. Was this simply due to *G status? I really can't think of why I'd be that important to them to call me by my last name. LH went up a couple notches in my book after this.
I was called by my last name in a long haul flight by LH (GRU - FRA) even not being a status member of M&M (I am only a "normal" member without status, with just the blue card). But I was in C and I also think that the FA was a little confused, or better surprised, since I have a German last name, but am I not German (I am Brazilian with German ancestry). Since I was in C in a flight from Brazil to Germany, I did not thought to be something unusual.

I was also called by my last name in another long haul flight by TAP Portugal (LIS - POA), but that time I was in Y, with a very discounted fare and in a very standard seat and also not being a status passenger (again, only simple Victoria member without status). That was a surprise, mainly because the Portuguese FA spelled my last name correctly, which is not usual even in my everyday life!

Otherwise, I am never called like this in short flights, no matter what airline I am flying.

Criske
Old Jan 15, 2018, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by Nic33
The cause was definitely the *G and/or your seats at the exit rows which requires the FA to mirandize you. While I often witnessed it on long haul, especially in C and with status passengers, it is less frequent the exception rather than the rule on short flights.
FYP 5car
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Were you surprised that you were greeted by name, or that your title and surname were used?

The greeting would be down to your status within *A or your seat in a premium cabin.

If it was the surname thing that startled you, it's simply the way strangers address each other.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:21 am

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Okay, I don't have a billion miles to any of my frequent flyer accounts. What is the normal standard here?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Okay, I don't have a billion miles to any of my frequent flyer accounts. What is the normal standard here?
even as HON, on shorthaul, there is no standard.

for me, about 1/3 of flights, the purser comes by before or shortly after take-off to see if I need anything
1/3 of flights they just address me by Name during service
1/3 of flights they just ask me what I want to drink without Name etc.

Long haul is a different story of course...
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Mainline LH flights carry a so called 'PIL' (passenger information list) that lists the C/F pax, the HON/SEN/FTL/*G status passengers, the employee travellers and any special assistance (wheelchair, special meals etc) notes. On shorthaul flights the list is printed on a thermal paper strip on a printer in the flight deck and the FA mostly uses it to address passengers. On longhaul the PIL is printed at the gate in multiple copies for use by FAs in F/C and the lead purser has the information on his ipad/tablet.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been addressed by my surname more on LH flights than BA (despite taking more with BA) but greeted more on BA because just using a pax name with a drink/meal order is not a greeting. As pointed out CC have the print out and its on the pursers trolley on SH.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TomMM
I've experienced this multiple times on LH short haul flights. Definitely due to *G status.
same here.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
It also can happen on your birthday (even without any status). I had short intra-german flight and the purser approached me, wished me a happy birthday and gave me some chocolate. Was a real nice gesture.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: *G
i get this occasionally on the LH group. im *G outside of miles and more
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
On FRA-MIA in row 95 this happened to me too.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by daumueller
even as HON, on shorthaul, there is no standard.

for me, about 1/3 of flights, the purser comes by before or shortly after take-off to see if I need anything
1/3 of flights they just address me by Name during service
1/3 of flights they just ask me what I want to drink without Name etc.

Long haul is a different story of course...
This is my exact experience as HON on LH too.
I do find on LX you’re much more likely to have the MdC introduce themselves and for the crew to address you by name than on LH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.