Lufthansa J or Emirates J Maldives-USA

Old Jan 14, 18, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Lufthansa J or Emirates J Maldives-USA

Hello LH people!

I have never flown LH premium class before, but I have an award booked for LH J MLE-DEL-FRA-DTW. DEL-FRA is J on the A380 and the A330 in J home to DTW.

Will this be a comparable experience to Emirates J on the A380 DXB-JFK? My route there would be MLE-DXB-JFK. My trip will either involve a connecting flight from JFK-DTW or endure the Air India segment MLE-DEL so I want to evaluate this based on the longhauls. Recently single solo traveler just going to MLE for the sun, snorkeling and some diving classes and I want to fly the best experience possible.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum to ask about quality!
Old Jan 14, 18, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The A380 on EK in J is 1x2x1 and on LH is 2x2x2 so you your seating arrangement will be different. Serve level won't be equal but I do find LH to be attentive on daytime flights compared to overnights.
Old Jan 14, 18, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
The A380 on EK in J is 1x2x1 and on LH is 2x2x2 so you your seating arrangement will be different. Serve level won't be equal but I do find LH to be attentive on daytime flights compared to overnights.
Hmm...solo seat as a single traveler is very attractive. Sounds like EK is a better way to go unless LH has much better food or whiskey. Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 18, 12:47 am

Programs: LH FTL
Could you book OS ? They fly to Male and their J product is pretty awesome.
Old Jan 15, 18, 2:36 am

Programs: LX SEN
I would pick LH notwithstanding the 2-2-2 configuration. EK J's class has wooden dashes similar to those of a 1980 Benz and, more generally, a look that lead me to prefer to have a fellow passenger next to me.
Old Jan 15, 18, 4:59 am

Personally I prefer LH, but for your itinerary would probably pick EK via Dubai. I'm not 100% certain, but while you don't need a visa to transit through India, but I guess in case of a missed connection you may be stuck in the airport (as opposed to a hotel).
Old Jan 15, 18, 6:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AI service from MLE to DEL is now on a A320neo, but not really great to use: Flying AI264 MLE-DEL with a stop in TRV

Getting from JFK to DTW is rather tedious and error prone. I did that a few times to take advantage of OS fares ex JFK when I lived in A2 near DTW. The inflight service and overall quality of lounges in DEL is rather nice compared to what awaits you in JFK. They have an airside hotel in case you misconnect.
Old Jan 15, 18, 2:13 pm

I would suggest AI with LH combo WRT time spent in transit and immigration. Pain transiting in DEL would be lot lesser than you having to do immigration in JFK (with EK) and then catch a domestic to DTW. You would most likely get a through check in all the way to DTW from MLE.
Old Jan 15, 18, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlinesatish View Post
I would suggest AI with LH combo WRT time spent in transit and immigration. Pain transiting in DEL would be lot lesser than you having to do immigration in JFK (with EK) and then catch a domestic to DTW. You would most likely get a through check in all the way to DTW from MLE.
Wow, awesome response here with so many different opinions!

Curious why you think JFK immigration would be so horrible? I do have Global Entry. Also the pain of doing MLE-TRV-DEL in substandard business class seems no worse than grabbing a cheap connector JFK-DTW on Delta. Seems like pros and cons to both options based on the responses here.

I'm actually going to play this as I go. I booked the EK flight using AS miles plus a stopover in JFK continuing to the West coast in F later in the year (can redeposit free) on a perfect day that lines up with my 7 night MLE hotel stay already booked. You can actually get amazing last minute pricing including all inclusive deals on Hotels.com (+10% back on their reward program, shopping portal cash back plus 9% discounted GCs online) in the Maldives since I'm going on very short notice. If I'm loving it solo and don't get too bored I'll stay an extra six days somewhere on a last minute deal and take the LH flight home otherwise I'll take EK home earlier and save some vacation time

Thanks everyone!!
Old Jan 15, 18, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fanb View Post
Could you book OS ? They fly to Male and their J product is pretty awesome.
Gotta take what the United award engine gives me, so no in this case

Search this Thread
Search Engine: