Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:03 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by htb
There's absolutely no inflation in mileage earnings when using the current system of distance-based earnings.
I didn't claim inflation was affecting mileage earnings in a distance-based system.

But, for one thing, the system in the past wasn't purely distance-based. For example, credit card miles were and are revenue-based. Same for many other activities (e.g., miles awarded for purchases in the world shop). Keep in mind that miles awarded for flying make up perhaps only 50% of total miles credited or so. At least that's the case in programs for which the public has access to detailed statistics (e.g., AAdvantage).

For another, my argument still holds when looking into the future. M&M has a history of keeping changes to the earnings and award charts/rules infrequent, probably in order to not inconvenience customers. Once again, I believe it makes sense to devalue now so you don't need to adjust once again in the next 3, 4, 5 years.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 1flyer
I didn't claim inflation was affecting mileage earnings in a distance-based system.

But, for one thing, the system in the past wasn't purely distance-based. For example, credit card miles were and are revenue-based. Same for many other activities (e.g., miles awarded for purchases in the world shop). Keep in mind that miles awarded for flying make up perhaps only 50% of total miles credited or so. At least that's the case in programs for which the public has access to detailed statistics (e.g., AAdvantage).
US Airlines and for US users it is a very different ball game. In Europe we are lucky to have a credit card for the airline let alone a signup bonus worth getting excited about. For Europe that 50% would probably be much more like 10-20% (guesswork).
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lewis42
US Airlines and for US users it is a very different ball game. In Europe we are lucky to have a credit card for the airline let alone a signup bonus worth getting excited about. For Europe that 50% would probably be much more like 10-20% (guesswork).
Fortunately we do not have a CC system like in the US promoting indebitness. For me maybe 1/5 of my miles is generated in the Air. All the rest is Taxi, Creditcard, Limo, Payback, Newspaper and all that crap.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Fortunately we do not have a CC system like in the US promoting indebitness. For me maybe 1/5 of my miles is generated in the Air. All the rest is Taxi, Creditcard, Limo, Payback, Newspaper and all that crap.
I hear you. For me, also a majority of my miles don't come from flying.

I still think Lewis42 has a bit of a point. Co-branded CC are certainly generating a ton of revenue for the US major carriers' frequent-flyer programs. Of course, this is related to higher merchant fees on CC transactions as well as a higher load of CC debt. The CC system here in Europe doesn't allow loyalty programs to generate quite as much revenue.

EDIT: I guess lower CC spending in Europe than in the US is also a factor.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: LH, BA, SU, 9W, LY, EK
Angry New M&M Rules

It seems that Lufthansa is deliberately withholding information on how the new rules will effect HON and Senator passengers as they have something to hide. Most certainly it will be seriously worse.
Does anyone have an idea what is going on?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: M&M, LACH
I just bought the cheapest Y LH ticket VIE-DUB and when I use the MM app to calculate the miles I'm getting for this 4 segment round trip, it tells me that 616 PM and 1250 SM will be given. Before the change it was only 500 miles for the whole trip.
This trip is by the end of april, so lets see how real are the numbers.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by jtv84
I just bought the cheapest Y LH ticket VIE-DUB and when I use the MM app to calculate the miles I'm getting for this 4 segment round trip, it tells me that 616 PM and 1250 SM will be given. Before the change it was only 500 miles for the whole trip.
This trip is by the end of april, so lets see how real are the numbers.
Er no. The Statusmiles are the values of the old system. So it is very easy to find out if you lose or win! If SM is lower than AW then you won.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by ALPOP
It seems that Lufthansa is deliberately withholding information on how the new rules will effect HON and Senator passengers as they have something to hide. Most certainly it will be seriously worse.
How so ?

Status miles earned remains on the old system.

FTL, SEN & HON for award miles, fare x 6
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by ALPOP
The only thing that is somewhat less transparent und much less convenient than before is the calculation as the fare used for multiplication does not equal price paid, as taxes and some fees do not count towards the fare.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Quick question,

if i buy my ticket on Lufthansa stock but via a Travel Agent, I assume the revenue based award miles applies?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by Lewis42
Quick question,

if i buy my ticket on Lufthansa stock but via a Travel Agent, I assume the revenue based award miles applies?
Correct.
Lewis42 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: M&M
What happens in-case if I opt for a MyOffer or a fixed-price upgrade. How would the award miles be calculated in that case?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:52 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by thirdfromright
What happens in-case if I opt for a MyOffer or a fixed-price upgrade. How would the award miles be calculated in that case?
Simple: the upgrade cost will not be included into the calculation.

HTB.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Miles & More FTL
Does anyone know what happens if I upgrade today one LX intra-EU flight booked before March 12th (K to P)?

Will I get 750 award miles per segment (old rules) or will my whole ticket be reissued and subject to the new rules?

Thank you!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Anderson24
Does anyone know what happens if I upgrade today one LX intra-EU flight booked before March 12th (K to P)?

Will I get 750 award miles per segment (old rules) or will my whole ticket be reissued and subject to the new rules?

Thank you!
Hello,

I asked this very same question a few weeks ago here and AFAIK got no reply.

Reading the small print of the new rules it says that if a ticket is reissued when the new calculation system is in place, the new rules will apply. I cannot tell you have many award miles you will get but I understand you will get 750 status miles per segment upgraded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.