Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hugolover

LOT are not too happy with M&M and this could be another step in that direction. The situation has always been really weird. LH are a competitor of LO in a way unlike any other carrier that uses M&M. Forgive me but I think only OU and JP are the others not controlled by papa Lufty? Along with LG, the combination is tiny compared to LO and they barely compete with LH. LO are getting bigger and more a competitor of LH group, LH's dumping on the Polish market is notorious (It's a sea of K fares) and LO are clearly gunning for the tasty German market. I imagine LH would then retaliate against LO like they did with TK on the mileage earning...

Already they offer special promo awards for the PL market which are a fraction of a M&M promo(-show me a LH promo Y return for 7k miles with no YQ). It shows that it really isn't compatible with LO and given the generally low price of LO tickets I can see Polish Members will feel hard hit by the changes.

I just hope LO don't exit Star.
I agree that LO is an outlier for the reasons you describe, and that it is constrained within *A owing to its lack of clout, but if it really wanted to exit *A then the time to do this would have been before year-end 2015, when it had the option of leaving without paying hefty exit fees. During the time when other airlines were concentrating on JVs, LO was busy firefighting and sorting out critical internal restructuring and by the time it got back on its feet there were fewer options left on the menu. They tried to get a codeshare with NH on the WAW-NRT route but, surprise, surprise, LH vetoed that using its provision in the LH-ANA JV, which allows parties to veto codeshares with other carriers. It could look for alternative JVs outside *A, but *A could still object to these. LO's problem is that the alliances are still effectively controlled by a few large carriers, which limits options for smaller carriers like LO. Jumping ship to OW wouldn't change this dynamic. What's interesting is that IAG was widely seen as the most likely private equity investor during LO's moment(s) of crisis, but this was before the change of government when many people thought that the ruling PO party would either let it go to the wall or be sold off to Lufty (that relentless devourer of nearby carriers). Now there is a nationalist government which is highly unlikely to allow the flag carrier to fall into foreign hands. Not only that, they intend to build a massive new hub outside of WAW for LO. There's a large amount of pork barrel involved in this project, but it's not entirely unjustified when you consider that WAW is already saturated for Non-Schengen and LO is unlikely to object to such grandiose plans on its behalf.

Also, you say that LH is dumping in the PL market but then say that domestic prices in this market are cheap (ie in comparison to LH's own sphere of control). But this is more likely about the fact that LH is not a price setter in PL in the same way it is in LH countries, so it could be argued that LH is merely recognising this fact by pricing to market. LO offer their own mileage bargains (Y only) which are essentially zero YQ so there is no way that LH could compete with this if they kept a fat YQ for their corresponding offering on the same routes. 7K RT for short-haul Y is exactly what LO offers and so you'd be nuts to pay more for an LH award with equally restrictive fare conditions.

I'm not sure what LO could realistically do in the German market. Kinda like a chihuahua drooling over a bone that an enormous German Shepherd dog has. It can salivate all it wants but any attempt to snatch the bone away is not likely to end well for the chihuahua!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:41 am

LOT are not too happy with M&M and this could be another step in that direction. The situation has always been really weird. LH are a competitor of LO in a way unlike any other carrier that uses M&M. Forgive me but I think only OU and JP are the others not controlled by papa Lufty? Along with LG, the combination is tiny compared to LO and they barely compete with LH. LO are getting bigger and more a competitor of LH group, LH's dumping on the Polish market is notorious (It's a sea of K fares) and LO are clearly gunning for the tasty German market. I imagine LH would then retaliate against LO like they did with TK on the mileage earning...
They already do retaliate with PPB promos etc. One of the reason that Polish members can't use miles in the worldshop or pay taxes with miles are those 'cultural differences'.

Already they offer special promo awards for the PL market which are a fraction of a M&M promo(-show me a LH promo Y return for 7k miles with no YQ). It shows that it really isn't compatible with LO and given the generally low price of LO tickets I can see Polish Members will feel hard hit by the changes.
LH&Co have the 10k bargains ever often and the YQ is equally low now.

I just hope LO don't exit Star.
I do. But that ship has sailed.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I am really in a "strange" place, but actually for me there are hardly any disadvantages ("strange" as in: it looks as if this is actually good for me):

1. my usual flying pattern allows me to re-qualify for status, because there are no changes there.
2. Earning miles on light fares, with a fare component around 50-75 EUR for a return flight: that yields 300-450 miles, where currently I'd only get 250 miles
3. Earning miles for my business class fares which are very often expensive (leaving on LX from SUI or on LH from GER) as I typically end up in D or above, for instance I have paid 5,600 EUR (fare component only) for a ZRH-JFK: that gives me 5,600 * 6 = 33,600 miles, whereas previously I'd get a little less than 18,000 miles. Or on a EUR >1,000 Business Class return ZRH-LHR, that yields 6,000 miles instead of the 5,000 under the old scheme

There are fares and routes where I'd lose out - for instance on discounted First Class flights in A class - but two thirds of my flying is in either scenario 2 or 3, so it works OK for me.

Actually, seeing how many miles I get on the longhaul Business flights, I'd be delighted if they also calculated status with that new earnings method.

.... or do I get the maths wrong??? I just cannot fathom that anyone could actually be better off by "enhancements"
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
.... or do I get the maths wrong??? I just cannot fathom that anyone could actually be better off by "enhancements"
Well, if they wanted to hurt everyone they just could have slashed earnings across the board.
The question the thought leaders in blogs were making is why reward extra people like you if you'd spend the money anyway, and if they think that a prospect of losing some miles would persuade Rambuster for example to spend more money on higher fares? If the status element stays the same, I highly doubt that.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
There could be some, probably a few people. For most fliers the change will most likely mean a reduction in miles earned and those fliers would not want LH to change the status miles system in the same way.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: LX SEN

3. Earning miles for my business class fares which are very often expensive (leaving on LX from SUI or on LH from GER) as I typically end up in D or above, for instance I have paid 5,600 EUR (fare component only) for a ZRH-JFK: that gives me 5,600 * 6 = 33,600 miles, whereas previously I'd get a little less than 18,000 miles. Or on a EUR >1,000 Business Class return ZRH-LHR, that yields 6,000 miles instead of the 5,000 under the old scheme

For LH, it makes sense to increase the amounts of miles credited for such a fare (and decrease the award miles on cheaper tickets). As far as I am concerned, I never purchase C class tickets at this price for my private flights, but only for my work trips made on short notice (which are paid by third parties). This raises even more the agency issue that higher mileage rewards go to persons who are not supporting the economic costs of the fares.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by LHSEN
Anyone knows how to get a non LH group to issue a star alliance RTW tickets?
Just use a knowledgeable travel agent. It's as easy as that.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Nic33
For LH, it makes sense to increase the amounts of miles credited for such a fare (and decrease the award miles on cheaper tickets). As far as I am concerned, I never purchase C class tickets at this price for my private flights, but only for my work trips made on short notice (which are paid by third parties). This raises even more the agency issue that higher mileage rewards go to persons who are not supporting the economic costs of the fares.
It might make sense it it drove some extra revenue to LH. Does it? I doubt they've been loosing a bookings because someone was feeling that 200% mileage earning wasn't generous enough. Who awarded more? Only the American programs - and under the new scheme they still do!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
Just book the flights on UA ticket stock and you will get the old values.
And depending on the route, be prepared for sticker shock! Example: DUS-FRA roundtrip booked via UA, $1100. Same flights booked via LH,177 EUR
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what the implications will be for TK flights?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:45 am

Please let me know if my analysis is correct on how this WOULD have effected my award miles if this ticket were booked after the transition date:

Frequent Traveler status
P ticket
Ticket cost (without taxes and fees) = $4581
Miles = 8062

Old System gives me 8062 award miles
New System gives me (4581)*6 = 27486

That is difficult for me to believe that I would get 3x more award miles with this change, but if I correctly understand the rules, that would be the case. Does it look correct to you?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:03 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by ToddSpam
Please let me know if my analysis is correct on how this WOULD have effected my award miles if this ticket were booked after the transition date:

Frequent Traveler status
P ticket
Ticket cost (without taxes and fees) = $4581
Miles = 8062

Old System gives me 8062 award miles
New System gives me (4581)*6 = 27486
It looks like your calculation is 100% correct
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SunshineStay
Frankly, I find this whole change underwhelming. Sure it is a devaluation for some people, but then it will also give a lot of people on more expensive eco tickets (especially domestic or European short-haul) a lot more (40%-60% for me personally) miles than before.

Also please remember that at least for German/Austrian/Swiss customers, it is much easier to accrue a ton of miles via cheap magazine subscriptions (eg. currently there is an offer for 60,000 and a daily newspaper for a year for about 700€). To get the same amount of miles with flying, you will need to spend 10 times the amount of money. So I am not sure that giving away award miles is that much of a concern at LH at all.
LH clearly wants to gut the overall rebate it sort of provides its loyalty program customers from flying LH group airlines. It’s aimed to be a devaluation for most of Its customers earning miles from flights. There is nothing underwhelming about an airline showing its most loyal customers that their loyalty is overrated and they are in the LH firing range.
Grog likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 13, 2017 at 7:57 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by worldclubber
There could be some, probably a few people. For most fliers the change will most likely mean a reduction in miles earned and those fliers would not want LH to change the status miles system in the same way.
LH is playing from the DL playbook: cut the rebates (in the form of redeemable
miles) and keep them hooked via status benefits. The customer and what the customer wants is an afterthought (at most) to what the airline management want to cut.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
It is very bad for european flights ex Bcn in P. Booking 1 or 2 months in advance you can get these for less than 250€ and, a few times, I have managed to pay less than 200€ if there is a black friday bonus or similar available.
These flights yielded 3000 miles + executive bonus = 3750 status/award miles, and not it will be around 1000 award miles and sometimes even less

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.