Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by lefrid
Not all long all flights cost 350 EUR and Norwegian does not (yet) fly all over the places to where the LH group flies.
Double that then and it's still mileage peanuts and you have way more options to choose from at this price point.
So why do they need to reward customers not having any competitions?

Maybe the new program is simpler to understand for most people and some will make more intra Europe than the usual 125 * 2.
How is trying to figure out why its 4x 33 (from the example above) and not 4x 99 simpler then just the number being displayed on the booking page?

The math here I think is to try to reduce the overall balance of miles on their off balance sheet (give more miles than will go down the drain unused or use them to redeem long haul Y). People in J is a different story as Z/P will probably earn more while J less.
Reducing the balance sheet is the other shoe - that's increasing the redemption rates. This is just reducing their operating costs, having to budget less for the miles awarded from flights purchased after 12.03.18.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by christianj
If that is the case why would anyone in their right mind book through Lufthansa then?
Here is this forum we typically have members who have a choice. However a big chunk of the LH revenue comes from captive clients: People working for large corporates who have a contract with the LH group. They will always be ticketed on LH group stock because that is what the contract says and the corporate travel agency does.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Here is this forum we typically have members who have a choice. However a big chunk of the LH revenue comes from captive clients: People working for large corporates who have a contract with the LH group. They will always be ticketed on LH group stock because that is what the contract says and the corporate travel agency does.
Not sure if that is still valid in the 2017 world?
I think most large corporations have "best price" policies, at least for long haul .
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:59 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Has anybody figured out how this will work with a mixed itinerary? I have a ticket booked on LH.com with one out of five segments operated by a non-LH Group airline (not a codeshare).

The flights (all within Europe) will be during the holiday period when Y tickets would be relatively more expensive and C tickets are not much more than Y. Two outbound flights are booked into Z, while inbound flights are a mixture of C and D.

The whole trip should give me 10,126 status/award miles including executive bonus which is quite a bargain. Under the new system I will only get 3,292 miles if all flights are on LH Group airlines - the reason why I'm curious to know what will happen if the same ticket was bought after 12.3.18.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Has anybody figured out how this will work with a mixed itinerary? I have a ticket booked on LH.com with one out of five segments operated by a non-LH Group airline (not a codeshare).
I imagine same as pure blood LH itineraries (and then with what UA and others a have been doing across the pond). The revenue being split between segments in accordance with LH logic.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Under the new system I will only get 3,292 miles if all flights are on LH Group airlines
I count 5040 based on the fees and the executive bonus built in to the new earnings rate (slightly less if any flights are on SN or EW).
Beyond that, I expect that the company will prorate the revenue for the non-LH Group operated segment out of the earnings and that segment will earn by distance.

Last edited by sbm12; Dec 11, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:19 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
I count 5040 based on the fees and the executive bonus built in to the new earnings rate (slightly less if any flights are on SN or EW).
No SN or EW involved. The calculation is based on:
Fare = 327.00 GBP
YQ = 152.40 GBP
YQ = 2.70 GBP
Total carrier imposed charges = 482.10 GBP or 548.60 EUR
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No SN or EW involved. The calculation is based on:
I'm an idiot and didn't see that the detailed tax/free breakdown was rolled up above. I was seeing outbound/inbound fare components plus fees. Too much time on Matrix with the two separate. Sorry about that.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by sbm12
Beyond that, I expect that the company will prorate the revenue for the non-LH Group operated segment out of the earnings and that segment will earn by distance.
+1
based on the below FAQ that could be the way to address NewbieRunner's mixed itinerary ticket.
How are miles credited?
Miles will continue to be credited to you after each flight. For this purpose, the ticket price is allocated to the individual flight segments. Once you have completed your entire journey, the total miles for the individual flight segments are thus equivalent to the mileage amount for the entire ticket.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Anyone knows how to get a non LH group to issue a star alliance RTW tickets?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Rambuster

Under the new system I would have received 57.300 Miles for these tickets. 55% less!
boy, oh boy.
Same here

My Business & First flights will yield significantly less than 50%, 5:-: enhancement
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Waiting for the new award chart....
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Edit: I just calculated mid September to mid December flight activity.
I had 125.807 HON miles in that period.

Under the new system I would have received 57.300 Miles for these tickets. 55% less!
boy, oh boy.
As much as I hate to say it: You were probably one of the top targets of the reform then.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:11 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by worldclubber

As much as I hate to say it: You were probably one of the top targets of the reform then.
... which is weird as I understand that the margins are the highest in C. And I understand that airlines fight to capture those customers.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:19 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
One more example where things will get worse. I have booked a ticket MUC LH HND LH MUC in E class (for travel in January). This ticket will yield 20532 miles according to the old rules, after march the same ticket (€1820 base fare + €360 YQ = €2180) will result in 13080 miles, a nice 36% devaluation. I'd be highly surprised if they adjust the prices for award flights accordingly.

To be fair something like that had to be expected, but in an ideal world (I am a dreamer) I would have either included some sort of cabin class factor, like PE = ((base fare + YQ)*1.25)* status factor); *1.5 for business class and *2 for first, or even a single factor for all cabins expect for economy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.