Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
Just book the flights on UA ticket stock and you will get the old values.
I don't get this comment! What exactly do you mean by this?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by christianj
I don't get this comment! What exactly do you mean by this?
According to the rules published : If you book your flight through another airline's booking channel, your award miles will be calculated according to the current system.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by andywaw
According to the rules published : If you book your flight through another airline's booking channel, your award miles will be calculated according to the current system.
If that is the case why would anyone in their right mind book through Lufthansa then?

Another question.....There seems to be confusion on if fare basis used to calculate the new miles includes taxes or not. This is what I found in the LH release:

For flights booked from 12 March 2018, the basis of the calculation will be the fare, i.e. the ticket price plus any surcharges levied by the airline concerned.

How exactly are we to interpret the terms “surcharges levied by the airline concerned?”

Is this a play on wording to only give credit for LH based surcharges and NOT on the taxes?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Award miles calculation changes 12MAR2018: 4 award miles for ticket fare and YQ purchased on LH Group ticket stock via LH distribution channels and 6 for SEN/HON. GDS sales and other airlines remain the same. No change for Status, HON Circle and Select miles.
It's the usual ticket stock system2) For tickets beginning with the numbers 220 (Lufthansa), 724 (SWISS), 257 (Austrian Airlines), 082 (Brussels Airlines) or issued by Eurowings, award miles are calculated under the new system.

Seems interesting that UA (and DL/AA) IT is able to track the revenue for their own metal while LH isn't...
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
It's all good and well that you don't like the devaluation, but honestly, do you expect better anywhere else?
Flying Blue is giving up to 8 miles per EUR and they pay up on ancillary services too. I know it's FB but still on paper it looks better.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The FAQ says that status miles are unaffected so I hope by that we can assume that the exec bonus will also remain.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ranskis
So paying the 16 EUR GDS fee could actually be a good deal for cheap Z and A tickets
I don't believe this affects the earning rates. Anything on LH Group stock will earn under the new scheme from what I'm reading.

Sollten Sie Ihren Flug über ein Reisebüro oder Online-Reisebüro buchen, erfahren Sie mit Erhalt Ihrer Ticketnummer(2), nach welchem System die Prämienmeilen berechnet werden.
That translates roughly to, if plated on LH group stock you earn by revenue and if OAL stock by distance, I believe.

And the GDS fee is just for LH Group stock. So paying that doesn't change the earn rates.
Originally Posted by yurtripper
The FAQ says that status miles are unaffected so I hope by that we can assume that the exec bonus will also remain.
The executive bonus is now 50% on TATL JV partner airlines & LH Group (6 points per euro), except 25% on Brussels Airlines and Eurowings (5/euro).
Is this a play on wording to only give credit for LH based surcharges and NOT on the taxes?
Yes, just like every other revenue-based program operating today. :-:
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If that is the case why would anyone in their right mind book through Lufthansa then?
Because there are still cases where earning by revenue is better. A 150 euro return from BUD-FRA in K now earns 300+ points instead of 250. A P fare TATL likely earns better as revenue-based, too. Booking L fares TATL are also likely to earn better under the new program.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by sbm12
I don't believe this affects the earning rates. Anything on LH Group stock will earn under the new scheme from what I'm reading.

The executive bonus is now 50% on TATL JV partner airlines & LH Group (6 points per euro), except 25% on Brussels Airlines and Eurowings (5/euro).
I think people confuse here two different types of Executive Bonus.

6 points per Euro = included bonus when calculating AWARD MILES in the revenue system

STATUS MILES will be calculated under the current system, so here the Executive bonus stays at 25% miles flown according to the booked class
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
FAQ from the App. Great news...
How are award miles calculated under the revenue-based system?
Under the revenue-based system your award miles will be calculated as follows: fare (ticket price + surcharges levied by the Miles & More partner airline) x factor = number of award miles earned. You will find information about flights on which miles cannot be earned here.

Which multiplying factor applies in the revenue-based system to Miles & More members?
If you are a Miles & More member, but not yet a Frequent Traveller, Senator or HON Circle Member, then a multiplying factor of 4 will always be used.

Which factor applies to Frequent Travellers, Senators or HON Circle Members?
For members with frequent flyer status, the criterion is which airline operates the flight. If the flight is operated by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, United Airlines, Air Canada, LOT Polish Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Adria Airlines or Air Dolomiti, then the multiplying factor is 6; for Brussels Airlines and Eurowings and all other Miles & More partner airlines, the factor is 5. You will find information on the Miles & More partner airlines here.

Will I still receive an Executive Bonus under the revenue-based system?
As a Frequent Traveller, Senator or HON Circle Member, you will also benefit from an Executive Bonus under the revenue-based system. The bonus has already been taken into account in the factors and is 25% on flights with Brussels Airlines, Eurowings and other Miles & More partner airlines or 50% on flights with Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, United Airlines, Air Canada, LOT Polish Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Adria Airlines or Air Dolomiti.

How will I know whether the revenue-based system applies to my flight?
The criterion for this is the booking channel. The new system applies to all tickets sold by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Eurowings or Brussels Airlines. If you book via a direct sales channel of Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Eurowings or Brussels Airlines, i.e. the website, miles will be awarded based on the new system. If you book via a third-party sales channel, i.e. a travel agent or online travel agency, you will be able to tell by the ticket number whether your award miles will be calculated according to the new system. If the first three digits of your ticket number are 220 (Lufthansa), 724 (SWISS), 257 (Austrian Airlines) or 082 (Brussels Airlines) or Eurowings, the new system applies to your flight - if not, the award miles are calculated according to the old system. The one exception are tickets purchased through a tour operator. Here award miles are allocated according to the booking class, irrespective of the ticket number. In rare cases where no fare information is available, Miles & More reserves the right to continue to award miles according to the booking-class-based system.

Does the revenue-based system also apply to status miles, select miles and HON Circle miles?
No, the new system does not apply to status, select or HON Circle miles. These will be awarded as usual under the current system. All the privileges associated with your status also remain unchanged.

How is foreign currency converted if I do not pay in euros?
The amount of the currency you paid is converted into euros at the conversion rate valid at the time the ticket was issued. We use the OANDA ask price for the currency conversion. You can find this at: www.oanda.com.

Does the total price for the flight form the basis for the awarding of miles?
No, the calculation of award miles is based on the fare, i.e. the ticket price + surcharges levied by the Miles & More partner airline.

How exactly is the fare calculated?
The fare is the ticket price + surcharges levied by the Miles & More partner airline.

I have a codeshare flight. Which factor is relevant to me?
The awarding of miles is based on the multiplying factor of the airline operating the flight. If you are a Miles & More member, this factor is 4. If you are a Frequent Traveller, Senator or HON Circle Member, it is 6 on flights operated by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, United Airlines, Air Canada, LOT Polish Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Adria Airlines and Air Dolomiti. It is 5 on flights operated by Eurowings and Brussels Airlines.

Where will I find the ticket price, which together with surcharges makes up the fare?
Either on the airline website during the booking process or on the passenger receipt. The ticket price, as well as the national/international surcharge (shown as YQ), is specified on it.

When does the revenue-based system come into effect?
The new system will apply to tickets issued from 12.3.2018 and to flights operated from 12.3.2018. Both conditions must be met.

How are miles credited?
Miles will continue to be credited to you after each flight. For this purpose, the ticket price is allocated to the individual flight segments. Once you have completed your entire journey, the total miles for the individual flight segments are thus equivalent to the mileage amount for the entire ticket.

Will I receive award miles for product and service fees?
No. You only receive award miles for the fare paid (ticket price + surcharges levied by the Miles & More partner airline).

Can I also earn miles for cancelled flights or flights that I do not take up?
No. Award miles will continue to be credited solely for flight segments that have been flown (a single route with both a take-off and a landing). For further information, please see section 2.3.2 in the General Terms & Conditions.

What happens if I rebook tickets I bought before 12.3.2018 after 12.3.2018?
For all rebookings that affect the ticket price, the new rules will apply from 12.3.2018.

(1) You can find out which airlines these are here.

(2) For tickets beginning with the numbers 220 (Lufthansa), 724 (SWISS), 257 (Austrian Airlines), 082 (Brussels Airlines) or issued by Eurowings, award miles are calculated under the new system.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Interesting that UA and AC get 6 as a multiplier for FTL/SEN/HON while SN only gets 5.

Am I right in thinking that the system for status miles stays the same?
This will be worse than UA.

UA credits LH/AC as mileage-based. Does it mean LH credits revenue-based even if it's UA/AC stock tix? If so, it will be very very bad.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
This will be worse than UA.

UA credits LH/AC as mileage-based. Does it mean LH credits revenue-based even if it's UA/AC stock tix? If so, it will be very very bad.
'If the first three digits of your ticket number are 220 (Lufthansa), 724 (SWISS), 257 (Austrian Airlines) or 082 (Brussels Airlines) or Eurowings, the new system applies to your flight - if not, the award miles are calculated according to the old system.'
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:06 am

The multiplier for LO flights is 6 (for FTL+) but the new system only applies for bookings made via the LH group airlines (LH, OS, LX, SN + Eurowings).

So if I find an LO operated flight (or UA, AC, etc.) then presumably I can calculate which system will give more miles and then choose to book the flight either through the LH site (new system) or direct through the LOT site (old system), according to whichever is better. I could do the reverse for an LH operated flight by booking it on lot.com (old system) if that gives more miles than booking direct on lufthansa.com (new system).

If I've got this wrong please feel free to tell me, but at the moment it looks like I can play one system against the other and cherry pick the best option each time.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by CyBeR
You are forgetting that for a €99 ticket, only about €25 of that is the fare and the rest is taxes:

Some of the surcharges probably count so you're probably looking at about €40-ish for the calculation of miles, or, at 4 miles per €1, about 160-ish miles for a return.
You were quite generous I'd say. If I look at the FAQ (see below quote) it's ticket price +YQ.
So 33€ In this example
132 miles for blue members instead of 250
198 miles for status instead of 314
It can be better if one gets an K,L,T at a higher price, but it does look bad

Where will I find the ticket price, which together with surcharges makes up the fare?
Either on the airline website during the booking process or on the passenger receipt. The ticket price, as well as the national/international surcharge (shown as YQ), is specified on it.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by GBM.flights

You were quite generous I'd say. If I look at the FAQ (see below quote) it's ticket price +YQ.
So 33€ In this example
132 miles for blue members instead of 250
198 miles for status instead of 314
It can be better if one gets an K,L,T at a higher price, but it does look bad

Isn't it just ticket price + YQ? Anything else is not likely to be levied by the airline but by the govt, airport, etc.

Maybe someone that understands German can clarify from the DE version of the FAQ. That's likely to be more precise about this than the EN version.

UPDATE: I was actually responding to CyBeR. I agree with the tenor of what GBM.flights says. If this ever applied to LO flights it would look a lot worse as YQ is relatively small. Often on the cheaper regional flights over 90% of the cost is other taxes - so even 125 miles might look generous in comparison!

Last edited by yurtripper; Dec 11, 2017 at 10:41 am Reason: Clarified who the comment was aimed at.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Monopoly fares

So the good news is that the sky high fares on their monopoly routes (e.g. ZRH-BRU) are at least earning a decent amount of award miles. E.g. ZRH-BRU often books into U, which is about 1000 EUR formthe return without taxes. It currently earns 2*750=1500 for non status members and 1875 for status members. In the future it will earn about 4000 for non status members and 6000 for status members!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.