Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Perhaps there should be a separate thread for all those who find they earned more miles under the new system than the old?

It could be a very short thread.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Perhaps there should be a separate thread for all those who find they earned more miles under the new system than the old?

Most of the ones that earn more miles with the new system do not know what is FT
Lewis42 likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by more4less
Most of the ones that earn more miles with the new system do not know what is FT
Yes, unlikely they will feature here
Old May 4, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: QR Platinum OWE, LH SEN
Originally Posted by yurtripper

So far I have eared mostly between 2 - 4 times the miles on each of my 6 segments since the change. All of my upcoming 12 flights in May/June will be the same. They are all domestic flights in Germany where, so far, I see the most benefit from the new system.

So I would be at least one person who could post something on that thread...
fanb likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
My frequent 500€ MUC-BRU rt and 700+€ MUC-Norway flights that usually book into W,V or Q most certainly earn more award miles in the new regime. Which was probably the main motivation of the change: appease those who have to spend more on LH & co because of the demise of competition.
N1003U likes this.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by Concerto
I just wonder how all of this is going to end up comparable to the Deutsche Bahn bahn.bonus program. With this latter, there’s very little motivation to become a serious points collector, because the redemption options are not very exciting. You never read about anybody raving about the program and it’s not as if they’ve got a choice anyway: if you’re traveling by train, how can you avoid DB?
Interesting musing. Never mind the lousy bahn.bonus redemption options, the allure of reaching the coveted bahn.comfort status isn't much motivation, either. One only need to visit the FRA DB Lounge (better the toilet there), or try to find a reserved bahn.comfort seat on a Friday evening ex-FRA to see first hand that the program is hollow.

At some point along the decay curve, loyalty/frequent user programs simply become too much effort relative to the benefit, and it is easy enough to just abandon them. If there is no competition, it doesn't matter anyway, at least not from the service provider point of view. I think M&M is still a long way from abandonment, at least for me and my travel/spending habits.

Ex-Freiburg I can occasionally find an SBB or SNCF train as an alternative to DB if I happen to be going in a particular direction at a specific time of day (not that those are great choices, either), but I agree avoiding DB as a general rule is not much of an option if you want to travel by train to/from/in Germany.
Old May 7, 2018, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
The DB bahn.bonus program is highly interesting to me. But yeah, the bahn.comfort status is s**t.

But that's not the point. The point is the program has some very nice sweetspots for points conversion followed by points redemption followed by selling the awards.

It's also a no-brainer to collect points on DB train tickets. A point is worth 3.5 to 4 euro cents if you ask me. (By redeeming points for awards you can sell on platforms such as ebay.)
Old May 7, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 1flyer
The DB bahn.bonus program is highly interesting to me. But yeah, the bahn.comfort status is s**t.

But that's not the point. The point is the program has some very nice sweetspots for points conversion followed by points redemption followed by selling the awards.

It's also a no-brainer to collect points on DB train tickets. A point is worth 3.5 to 4 euro cents if you ask me. (By redeeming points for awards you can sell on platforms such as ebay.)
hey can you provide some more details or where to read about sweet spots for DB? I recently moved to Germany and regularly take DB from Cologne to Dusseldorf or Frankfurt.
Old May 10, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Took an European International and a Germany domestic flight this week both on P class LH flights and ticket issued by LH Last month - miles posted for both flights still based on old system .
Old May 10, 2018, 5:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
just taking into account the long haul segments of my next booking I will be at 34K status miles and less than 10K award miles if I were to collect on LH
Old May 13, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
I took my first flights yesterday under the new system.

LHR-FRA in P gave me approx 31% more award miles than status miles (old system)
FRA-MIA in F gave me approx 27% more award miles than status miles (old system)

No news here but definitely favours premium travel.

Because it’s so difficult to book a specific fare class without dealing with a real person, I actually think it kinda makes sense for them to reward based on yield (as unpopular a view as that may be..!)
Old May 13, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

;
Originally Posted by vantage03
I took my first flights yesterday under the new system.

LHR-FRA in P gave me approx 31% more award miles than status miles (old system)
FRA-MIA in F gave me approx 27% more award miles than status miles (old system)

No news here but definitely favours premium travel.

Because it’s so difficult to book a specific fare class without dealing with a real person, I actually think it kinda makes sense for them to reward based on yield (as unpopular a view as that may be..!)
P never earn much anyway intra EU.

That must have been a costly F ticket to earn 27% more than 300% distance miles 😊
zeer0 and andywaw like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
On the way home I misconnected due to a delay leaving MIA, I was rebooked into J (from P) on another flight to LHR and was given award miles based on the old system.
(FWIW J in old system still gave me more miles than P under new system on my expensive ticket)
Old May 20, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
Can‘t quite follow some of the posts here. I fly mostly Europe and long haul in business P, Z and D. I find without exception that under the new system I have been earning less award miles (in the -10 to -30% range) than previously. The only time I earned slightly more award miles was when I was stuck with a ridiculously expensive Europe economy ticket. As far as I can see you practically only earn the same or more award miles under the new system when booking the highest fare classes (F, J, Y) ex high-fare countries like Switzerland.
Old May 20, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wtravel
Can‘t quite follow some of the posts here. I fly mostly Europe and long haul in business P, Z and D. I find without exception that under the new system I have been earning less award miles (in the -10 to -30% range) than previously. The only time I earned slightly more award miles was when I was stuck with a ridiculously expensive Europe economy ticket. As far as I can see you practically only earn the same or more award miles under the new system when booking the highest fare classes (F, J, Y) ex high-fare countries like Switzerland.
That was the plan, only the highest priced tickets will earn more or same miles as before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.