Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

M&M going revenue based [for award miles on LH group tickets] 12MAR2018

Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
There would be a few where it always works out.

Just by a quick random check on an educated guess, it looks like all business class fares FRA-JFK on LH will result in a higher earning.
N1003U likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:10 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Quick question:

Let's assume you buy a ticket on 220 stock for an itin that includes a 2nd airline in the fare. Example:

MUC LH BOM AI HYD

If I check on Matrix I get the following fare information:

Fare 1: Carrier LH NRCDE MUC to HYD (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code N, G
Covers MUC-BOM (Premium economy), BOM-HYD (Economy)
Will the new system calculate the mileage on this fare (MUCHYD in this case) for both segements (MUC-BOM factor 6, BOM-HYD factor 5) or for just MUC-BOM? When I read the new M&M pages it always talks about issuing airline and not about who operates the actual segments. Things get even more complicated in this particular case since you can use 9W for the domestic Indian sector. What happens with the miles for this segment?

I do realize it's day 1 and not all questions / scenarios have been experienced, but I am just curious...
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN *
Will the new system calculate the mileage on this fare (MUCHYD in this case) for both segements (MUC-BOM factor 6, BOM-HYD factor 5) or for just MUC-BOM?
Miles & More website, FAQ: How are miles credited?
"Miles will continue to be credited to you after each flight. For this purpose, the ticket price is allocated to the individual flight segments. Once you have completed your entire journey, the total miles for the individual flight segments are thus equivalent to the mileage amount for the entire ticket."
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

When I read the new M&M pages it always talks about issuing airline and not about who operates the actual segments.
I think your "segments" is what Miles & More refers to on their page as "flights".

"The awarding of miles is based on the multiplying factor of the airline operating the flight.
If you are a Miles & More member, this factor is 4. If you are a Frequent Traveller, Senator or HON Circle Member, it is 6 on flights operated by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, United Airlines, Air Canada, LOT Polish Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Adria Airways and Air Dolomiti. It is 5 on flights operated by Eurowings and Brussels Airlines."

"For members with frequent flyer status, the criterion is which airline operates the flight. If the flight is operated by Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, United Airlines, Air Canada, LOT Polish Airlines, Croatia Airlines, Adria Airways or Air Dolomiti, then the multiplying factor is 6; for Brussels Airlines and Eurowings and all other Miles & More partner airlines, the factor is 5."
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Things get even more complicated in this particular case since you can use 9W for the domestic Indian sector. What happens with the miles for this segment?
Since Jet Airways is not Miles & More partner airline, you don't get miles for this segment.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by andywaw
Since Jet Airways is not Miles & More partner airline, you don't get miles for this segment.
That's clear - but can will I be able to credit this segment, to say DL (or AF/KL etc.) or that request be denied since the fare for this segment has been used to "credit" miles to my M&M account? Or will such a fare construct trigger mileage credit under the "old" rules (giving me a chance to credit the 9W segment somewhere else)?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

That's clear - but can will I be able to credit this segment, to say DL (or AF/KL etc.) or that request be denied since the fare for this segment has been used to "credit" miles to my M&M account? Or will such a fare construct trigger mileage credit under the "old" rules (giving me a chance to credit the 9W segment somewhere else)?
I believe the segment flown on Jet Airways will not be used to credit ANY miles to your M&M account = fare for this segment will not be calculated to earn any miles.
As for Delta, AF, KLM policy, I am not sure but I think you can credit the 9W segment in another program.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:27 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You can credit the 9W segment to any other FFP.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You can credit the 9W segment to any other FFP.
Thanks Oliver!

Slightly OT: Would you rather pick 9W or stick with AI for the domestic sector? I've never been on AI, all my domestic Indian travel has been on 9W (and IT). Thx!
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:19 am

Anyone recall what you would be awarded in terms of miles for a Z ticket? Was it 100% or 150% or something else?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by toddspam
anyone recall what you would be awarded in terms of miles for a z ticket? Was it 100% or 150% or something else?
j/c/d 200%
z 150%
p 100%
ToddSpam likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by cas_de
Thanks Oliver!

Slightly OT: Would you rather pick 9W or stick with AI for the domestic sector? I've never been on AI, all my domestic Indian travel has been on 9W (and IT). Thx!
9W has a better departure time ex BOM to HYD (3am vs 6.20 for AI), AI will give you lounge access in BOM, but in economy both are the same service. In business 9W is better on domestic, and on par with AI on the international domestic (flight AI 1 thru 399 and 900 thru 999).
Old Mar 17, 2018, 5:19 am

Apologies for what might be a stupid question, but I’m somwhat confused about how a multi-sector ticket with multiple Star Alliance airlines would credit.

Let’s take a concrete example of a MIL-SYD P class fare, which for arguments sake would be €2000. Let me also pick a routing such as MIL-FRA-SIN-SYD for simplicity with LH flying LIN-FRA-SIN and then SQ onwards to SYD in D class, all on 220 ticket stock.

For that journey, would a FTL/SEN/HON earn €2000 * 6 so 12,000 miles in total? With that 12,000 miles pro-rata’d across each of the six segments?

Or would they earn the 12,000 miles plus the SIN-SYD in D class?

So that would be 12,000 miles, plus 3908 * 1.5 each way (for the SQ sectors) meaning 12,000 + 11,724?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:00 am

This revenue based system is crucifying me planning on A class fares. An A class fare is for example 5k. That's less than 20k M&M miles when you account for taxes.
Previously this type of flight would result in about 35k miles. That's nearly a 50 per cent drop miles and the only way to get that would be to purchase an F fare costing 9,000.
I really think F and A should continue on the old system as this is a real penalty for me.

I can see the logic in the new system for cheap Y class fares but not in F where they should reward customers not upgrading or redeeming.IMO.

I for one would purchase all my F in LH were it not for the rev based system.

I thought about buying miles from SPG with the offer expiring yesterday but i can't guarantee to fly enough miles for the rest of the year now.
hugolover likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 6:16 am
Original Poster

@ Dave_C

I think the total amount paid for the ticket will be divided proportionally to each flight and flights operated by LH will earn let's say €1200 multiplied by 6, whereas the flights operated by SQ will earn €800 multiplied by 5. Hence, the total for the entire trip would be 11,200 award miles, in your example, hypothetically speaking of course .
Dave_C likes this.

Last edited by andywaw; Mar 17, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.