Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Polish takes delivery of its 737-8 MAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ermis177
Just finshed my call. They WONT rebook me believe it or no. According to them my flight is not cancelled. i am on WAW-LHR flinght next week . What joke airline.
Since MAX is not allowed in most EU airspace now its unlikely you will be on a MAX, but that does not mean the flight is cancelled. The might put a 787 on, or an E195 if the load permits
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by fransknorge
So because the MAX is grounded, passengers can request a rebooking because the operating plane will be an E95 ? And what should they ask for ?
No, your contract with the carrier is to get you to your destination, the carrier can change the aircraft type at anytime. LOT frequently does.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:06 am

Just finshed my call. They WONT rebook me believe it or no. According to them my flight is not cancelled. i am on WAW-LHR flinght next week . What joke airline.
Don't worry. As LHR is in UK and UK banned the MAX8... well, you won't be on one. Also LOT just announced they will not fly the MAX8 for the meantime.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
And the AD from EASA has finally dropped: https://www.easa.europa.eu/newsroom-...rations-europe
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So Basia was the last European airline to declare a grounding. Just as I expected and totally avoidable; keeping up the rear once more. A missed opportunity of grabbing the headlines to show how they put pax safety first and allowing the other carriers to follow their lead.

Has the ULC come out and banned them from their airspace as well?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Well I think it’s on the day if the aircraft changes. Currently the Max 8 is flying. LOT are slow at updating the booking system.

Last edited by iLied; Mar 12, 2019 at 12:09 pm
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:07 pm

“It’s not 100% clear, but if you were at the airport and there were other flights not on a Max, a customer is likely to be accommodated asking to switch to another flight even though it’s not clearly provided for in published rules,” said John Cox, founder and chief executive of Safety Operating Systems.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
EASA usually follows the FAA, as they would expect the FAA to stay passive for issues with Airbus. All we have at this point is speculation, so the FAA and EASA will not act until there is some info on the cause from the NTSB. Of course airlines and politicians have to follow the concerns of their customers and voters....
I would put the FAA above the EASA and MS's own authorities as a political entity. The FAA explicit purpose is flight safety ops AND the promotion of the industry. While the text was changed to "encourage" the ethos of the mission remained the same, and it's explicitly pointed out in the act. All of this came about as a consequence of the FAA's poor oversight of the ValuJet crash in 1996.

Colgan Air was another one, where Chuck Colgan was said to be a "friend of the office[being the FAA]" sounds like a very cosy "regulator" to me.

How utterly shambolic that the FAA is now last in the queue to group the 7M8 and it's the country of manufacture.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:21 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
No, your contract with the carrier is to get you to your destination, the carrier can change the aircraft type at anytime. LOT frequently does.
My point exactly. But iLied claimed that it would be the case, citing an expert.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by iLied
Some quote from some expert
For the time being your LOT flight will not be a 737 MAX so this does not apply
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by hugolover
So Basia was the last European airline to declare a grounding. Just as I expected and totally avoidable; keeping up the rear once more. A missed opportunity of grabbing the headlines to show how they put pax safety first and allowing the other carriers to follow their lead.
I suppose the general public won't see any difference as basically all countries and therefore operators in Europe where shutdown the same day. Only a small group of aviation geeks like us follow this to this detail.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:39 pm

I would put the FAA above the EASA and MS's own authorities as a political entity. The FAA explicit purpose is flight safety ops AND the promotion of the industry. While the text was changed to "encourage" the ethos of the mission remained the same, and it's explicitly pointed out in the act. All of this came about as a consequence of the FAA's poor oversight of the ValuJet crash in 1996.

Colgan Air was another one, where Chuck Colgan was said to be a "friend of the office[being the FAA]" sounds like a very cosy "regulator" to me.

How utterly shambolic that the FAA is now last in the queue to group the 7M8 and it's the country of manufacture.
As said before, you forget the DC-10 cargo door locks, 737 rudder hard over, the Southwest maintenance scandal in 2008 and probably some more. FAA has quite a questionable history regarding grounding US build aircraft or penalizing US companies.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
As said before, you forget the DC-10 cargo door locks, 737 rudder hard over, the Southwest maintenance scandal in 2008 and probably some more. FAA has quite a questionable history regarding grounding US build aircraft or penalizing US companies.
What about the 787?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:08 pm

One of the better links explaining the problems of the MAX 8 auto trim:

https://philip.greenspun.com/blog/20...-tech-details/
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by iLied
...likely to be rebooked quote...
Well, likely to be rebooked, maybe, on average, space permitting... which is like, what, first five people usaully these days?
I don't fly on a lot of half-empty jets these days.

There's definitely at least Travel Service / Smartwings never grounding theirs and I'm willing to bet a couple extra airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.