Some observations re: LH/Berlin

Old Nov 25, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Some observations re: LH/Berlin

This was my first time flying out of TXL. It is a quirky airport, no doubt.

Check in was at Terminal B, so I headed out to the FC check in area to drop off my bags and headed up to the lounge. So far so, good.

Lufthansa flight to Berlin was out of the C Terminal as it was a 747. I didn't realize I had to actually exit Terminal B. It's a short walk, not a biggie (even though there was heavy rain, the walk is mostly sheltered).

But the biggest surprise was having to walk on the tarmac in pouring rain to the plane and then use an uncovered mobile staircase to board. This wasn't fun at all.

Is it too much to expect a bus transfer and a covered staircase?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
With airberlin gone operations at TXL are out of the normal. TXL was not designed to handle a 747. Due to the high demand (an probably for some publicity) LH decided to use a 747 for the TXL-FRA route for some flights. This means some improvisation. Normally you would check-in in the A or B area walk straight through security and would be directly at the gate. Actually I don't know any airport where you can check-in, go through security and be at the gate between 5 to 10 minutes.
Crampedin13A likes this.

Last edited by totti; Nov 26, 2017 at 11:23 am Reason: Edited post after OT post had been deleted
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Dear fellow FTers,

I just deleted 11 posts that were off topic and in part violated the FT rules.

This is a friendly reminder to stay on topic and respect the rules. In particular, please keep in mind that this forum is meant to discuss topics related to M&M and LH group airlines. Discussions about work ethics and historic factors that influence it should be discussed in the OMNI forum.

Have a nice day
totti
co-moderator M&M forum
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Improvisation is great, but plans for making sure passengers are not soaked would be nice too ...

Originally Posted by flyingfkb
With airberlin gone operations at TXL are out of the normal. TXL was not designed to handle a 747. Due to the high demand (an probably for some publicity) LH decided to use a 747 for the TXL-FRA route for some flights. This means some improvisation. Normally you would check-in in the A or B area walk straight through security and would be directly at the gate. Actually I don't know any airport where you can check-in, go through security and be at the gate between 5 to 10 minutes.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by malgudi
Improvisation is great, but plans for making sure passengers are not soaked would be nice too ...
Actually I just remember. The missing roof of the stairways is no improvisation at TXL. I flew Germanwings out of TXL this summer from the horrible D and E area where are only bus and tarmac gates. It was heavily raining and we were bussed to the plane. The stairways at the plane had no roof either The bus driver allowed us to wait in the bus until the stairway was clear. Some people didn't hear him and were standing in the rain on the stairway waiting to get into the plane.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:30 am

[...]Actually I don't know any airport where you can check-in, go through security and be at the gate between 5 to 10 minutes.
I would like to know such an airport as well. TXL certainly doesn't match that description (anymore). TXL may have been an innovative airport concept when it was built - in days with much less air travel. Its myth as a user friendly airport continues (and people even sign petitions to keep it operating even if - in some distant day, maybe - BER should start operating. Why anyone with a sane mind would wish for such a scenario is utterly beyond me.
If one looks at TXL it is an undermaintained parody of an airport with about the longest waiting lines at its laughably underequipped tiny single-lane security gates that I have ever experienced anywhere. I would take almost any aiport other than TXL if I had a choice flyning into Berlin. Sadly, there is no choice, unless one is willing to go budget. Thus, at the moment one can only testify that Berlin is utterly inept concerning airports. One still works, but is dysfunctional (TXL), the other is dysfunctional and doesn't operate at all (BER).
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Actually I don't know any airport where you can check-in, go through security and be at the gate between 5 to 10 minutes.
​​​​​​
And it's not been my regular experience at TXL. Certainly not to be expected there on a Sunday, when security lines are reduced to single channels.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
The locations of the gates are not even consistent apparently. Today evening, my 18:45 flight leaves from B, but the later 19:45 flight leaves from C.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by sw1x
I would like to know such an airport as well. TXL certainly doesn't match that description (anymore). TXL may have been an innovative airport concept when it was built - in days with much less air travel. Its myth as a user friendly airport continues (and people even sign petitions to keep it operating even if - in some distant day, maybe - BER should start operating. Why anyone with a sane mind would wish for such a scenario is utterly beyond me.
If one looks at TXL it is an undermaintained parody of an airport with about the longest waiting lines at its laughably underequipped tiny single-lane security gates that I have ever experienced anywhere. I would take almost any aiport other than TXL if I had a choice flyning into Berlin. Sadly, there is no choice, unless one is willing to go budget. Thus, at the moment one can only testify that Berlin is utterly inept concerning airports. One still works, but is dysfunctional (TXL), the other is dysfunctional and doesn't operate at all (BER).
because you can reach the airport from west Berlin in less than 15 minutes while SXF or the new BER will take you around 45 minutes with no traffic,
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
The locations of the gates are not even consistent apparently. Today evening, my 18:45 flight leaves from B, but the later 19:45 flight leaves from C.
B terminal has only a check-in gates are located at terminals A, C and D
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by RolfD
because you can reach the airport from west Berlin in less than 15 minutes while SXF or the new BER will take you around 45 minutes with no traffic,
^

and if you have lounge access and/or the gods are smiling on your arrival at security, then really not such a stressful place.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:48 pm

B terminal has only a check-in gates are located at terminals A, C and D
I've left from gate B21. There may be just a couple of B gates, but they exist.
It was a bus drive to the plane as well, it was parked by the LH hangar on the western end of the apron. The other plane, for the later C departure, was parked under the tower, near the corner of the C terminal.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I've left from gate B21. There may be just a couple of B gates, but they exist.
It was a bus drive to the plane as well, it was parked by the LH hangar on the western end of the apron. The other plane, for the later C departure, was parked under the tower, near the corner of the C terminal.
I have never seen a gate at the B section, what i have seen is a 5 or 6 tickets counters ( star alliance airlines)
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
^

and if you have lounge access and/or the gods are smiling on your arrival at security, then really not such a stressful place.
easy breezy security check,
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:04 pm

I have never seen a gate at the B section, what i have seen is a 5 or 6 tickets counters ( star alliance airlines)
My bad, it was actually B20, not the collocated B21

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.