Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa employees are responsible for my stolen valuable inside my carryon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I flew from FCO (Rome,Italy) to FRA on October 25th, 2017 at 18:55 arriving Frankfurt at 20:55
However, when I was about to board the aircraft, the lufthansa ground staff at the gate was requiring me to check my carry on baggage because she said it was too big. When I told her that I could zip the hand luggage to make it smaller, she said "no" and I have to check the bag. She also tagged my friend's hand luggage who were also taking the same flight with me at that time. I didnt say anything else afterwards and went inside to board the plane. I then left my cabin baggage in front of the aircraft and went inside the plane. But then I saw my friend's cabin baggage is actually small so I asked him to ask the stewardess to allow it inside the plane and the inside crew was a bit astonished that we weren't allowed to bring our cabin baggage with us inside the plane. She even asked me if I had a close connection from Frankfurt and I said no. But I already left my cabin baggage outside the plane during this conversation so I thought it would be fine since I'm flying with lufthansa anyway - it is a German based company and I couldn't just remove the tag that the gate agent put on my carry on, since we always have to follow the rules here in Germany.
I really was in deep shock when I arrived in Frankfurt and saw the tsa lock on my carry on baggage was opened. I quickly opened my carry on and noticed a lot of branded and expensive items were missing from the luggage.
I did not take out my valuables because everythig inside my carryon was valuable. If I cant take the luggage, then how can I take everything I have inside? I only brought my personal purse and my carryon with me at the time, and we were already boarding.
I have lost a lot more than what the Montral Convention could cover.
I was completely astonished and really did not expect this at all to happen, especially from Lufthansa.
As we were among the first to board the plane, during the boarding time we just watch as people come in with a much bigger bag that was allowed in. I’m very sure there are no other bags that were checked in at the gate other than mine and a stroller. Even the last bag from the last passenger to board, the stewardess made room to carry that on the plane.
I am very certain that the gate agent is also a part of this and was already targetting me and my friend from the beginning, because we were among the first ones to board the plane and the cabin space was actually very available - there were still a lot of empty spaces above us so I really didn't understand as to why we weren't allowed to bring our cabin luggage.
The requirement of lufthansa carry on baggage is 55x40x23 cm and my carry on is 50x38x23cm for reference. I have a picture and measurement to prove.

It has been two weeks and lufthansa has not replied me until now. I am posting here to ask my fellow travelers if any of you can give me more guidance on how to proceed with this kind of case because I really feel like being violated and how can it be that we work so hard for our money and the thieves can easily steal it from us and they can get away with it?
If you know anything that can help me with my case, please let me know 🙏🏻

Thank you so much in advance
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
if what you write is true you should have contacted the police and not Lufthansa. Right there and then in Frankfurt.
Quick question, since you knew you luggage was of legal size, why did you agree to have it checked? You could have asked for it to be measured in an available sizer instead. Difficult IMO to understand why you would allow that especially since apparently you claim the content was extremely valuable.
It sounds to me like there is a lot more to the story than what is posted here. I am afraid though, it will be difficult to get anything from LH.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
if what you write is true you should have contacted the police and not Lufthansa. Right there and then in Frankfurt.
Quick question, since you knew you luggage was of legal size, why did you agree to have it checked? You could have asked for it to be measured in an available sizer instead. Difficult IMO to understand why you would allow that especially since apparently you claim the content was extremely valuable.
It sounds to me like there is a lot more to the story than what is posted here. I am afraid though, it will be difficult to get anything from LH.
I had the near-identical situation with LH in MUC. I was told at the aircraft (in the pouring rain) there would not be sufficient bin space onboard, even if my carry-on was of legal size. I was told if I refused to submit and surrender my bag outside, I would be prevented from climbing the stairs to board. I reluctantly submitted and fortunately was NOT stolen from. But I was nervous the entire flight, not knowing if I wasn't already robbed blind before taking off. There's really nothing more to my story, so I believe there's nothing more to the OP's.

I immediately wrote LH Customer Relations and sternly complained of being forcibly separated from my legal carry-on. Within a very short time (a few days, I believe), I received an apology and a gesture of 100 euros cash into my bank account with a suggestion to go out to dinner as their guest. They admitted their actions at the aircraft were improper and vowed to take measures to prevent it from reoccurring at that station (MUC).
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

They forceably measured the carry on and when i wanted to zip up the carry on to show that it is of legal size with a lot of room left I was told with a rudely stern no by the gate agent. Which is why When I think about it now, I believe she is involced in this someway. I agreed to surrender my carry on, also under that threat of not being able to board and I had locks on my carry on that was attached to the bag. Never would I thought that they would have a tsa key capable of opening the lock, and its Lufthansa, a German based airline that is well known to have a trusted reputation. I had an international flight the next day so I was not to miss this flight from Rome to Frankfurt. And I did contact the police at frankfurt airport and in the city of frankfurt only to be told no, there is no report that they can do and to file a complaint with the airline. I would underatand if this was a checked baggage situation, but this is a carry on that is forced to be checked plane side, when there were plenty of room in the cabin for it and I can prove that the carry on waa of legal size. They make me leave the carryon by a stroller that was also checked plane side. But only my carry on was there, nobody else’s.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by epxask
They forceably measured the carry on and when i wanted to zip up the carry on to show that it is of legal size with a lot of room left I was told with a rudely stern no by the gate agent. Which is why When I think about it now, I believe she is involced in this someway. I agreed to surrender my carry on, also under that threat of not being able to board and I had locks on my carry on that was attached to the bag. Never would I thought that they would have a tsa key capable of opening the lock, and its Lufthansa, a German based airline that is well known to have a trusted reputation. I had an international flight the next day so I was not to miss this flight from Rome to Frankfurt. And I did contact the police at frankfurt airport and in the city of frankfurt only to be told no, there is no report that they can do and to file a complaint with the airline. I would underatand if this was a checked baggage situation, but this is a carry on that is forced to be checked plane side, when there were plenty of room in the cabin for it and I can prove that the carry on waa of legal size. They make me leave the carryon by a stroller that was also checked plane side. But only my carry on was there, nobody else’s.
It is not only size what counts, but legally it is also weight. Was your carry on below 8 kg? If not LH had all rights to force you to check it.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I think the OP is making rather serious accusation without any substance... And it is OP's first post... Troll?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If items are stolen from your checked luggage you can file a PIR upon landing and discovery. LH is insured against such things and should pay up.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by athome
It is not only size what counts, but legally it is also weight. Was your carry on below 8 kg? If not LH had all rights to force you to check it.
I was in similar situation and bag was never weighed. The excuse used in my case was 'bin space'. When the door closed, less than half of the bins were even used. I doubt this was the issue for the OP at the gate, but let's wait and see.

Originally Posted by vbroucek
I think the OP is making rather serious accusation without any substance... And it is OP's first post... Troll?
I, with over 2,600 posts and an FT member for 15 years, was put in very similar circumstance by LH in MUC not so long ago. And, had theft also occurred in my case, I'd be left in the same predicament. Would I be a troll, too? Let's not assume that one post means no truth in the post. We all had one post at one time.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
If items are stolen from your checked luggage you can file a PIR upon landing and discovery. LH is insured against such things and should pay up.
In my case, I did not receive any proof of the bag being checked. There were no "Delivery at Aircraft" tags handed out. Good advice, but LH really need to stop doing these types of things altogether.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:39 am

As long it is not known what this "valuable items" are you can not say if it was insured.
You know it is forbidden the check money, noble metal, juwelry, ...
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by MultiFlyer
As long it is not known what this "valuable items" are you can not say if it was insured.
You know it is forbidden the check money, noble metal, juwelry, ...
It is not "forbidden' to check these items, just ill advised.

I would have opened my bag right there and pulled out everything I could not afford to lose. Never handing over anything valuable. If I had to walk onboard with an armful of goods, I would. If the crew said anything, I would remind them that the items would not be covered by them for loss.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grog
I was in similar situation and bag was never weighed. The excuse used in my case was 'bin space'. When the door closed, less than half of the bins were even used. I doubt this was the issue for the OP at the gate, but let's wait and see.

I, with over 2,600 posts and an FT member for 15 years, was put in very similar circumstance by LH in MUC not so long ago. And, had theft also occurred in my case, I'd be left in the same predicament. Would I be a troll, too? Let's not assume that one post means no truth in the post. We all had one post at one time.

In my case, I did not receive any proof of the bag being checked. There were no "Delivery at Aircraft" tags handed out. Good advice, but LH really need to stop doing these types of things altogether.
You’re right, they didnt weigh it. And my carryon was light, definitely not more than 8 kg.
This is my first post because I never had anything like this happened to me and I’m actually seeking advice as to how I can deal with this properly.
Should I be talking to a lawyer or how is that gonna work?
Because what I lost is Hermes purses, one being crocodile skin and a rolex watch.
So definitely I’m not a troll seeking attention. I’m just somebody who just happened to be a victim of a theft and just asking on what to do next.
And at the same time, to put words out there so that nobody will ever encounter the same experience like me.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grog

And I really appreciate you speaking out for me, because I’m really concern about this and what I need to do next.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Items with a value of more than EUR 1000 were stolen from you bag and the German police refused to issue a criminal complaint. I don't believe that.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Items with a value of more than EUR 1000 were stolen from you bag and the German police refused to issue a criminal complaint. I don't believe that.
We tried at two different locations : at the airport and the location near the city and they said they were not able to do it and that we have to go straight to the airline
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Issues with LH force-checking your bag aside, you put a (real) Rolex watch in a carry on bag and then didn't take it out when you had to give up your bag? Holy cow! Mine is never anywhere but on my wrist and never in a bag that is out of my sight for even a second. And if it was an extra or a new purchase (i.e. in a box), then it would be in my purse or held in my hand before that bag was checked. And then that purse would never be out of my sight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.