Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH Express / AirRail as part of the travel - can I skip, get off earlier, join later?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH Express / AirRail as part of the travel - can I skip, get off earlier, join later?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:35 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
I'd take an earlier train from Aachen to Cologne to be on the safe side. I don't see any point buying a ticket from Aachen to FRA as most trains involve a change at Cologne anyway. If you're up for a bit of risk, take the 10 mins connection at Cologne but you only need a small delay (and it happens) for you to miss the connection. Better to give yourself more time and less stress/worry. A longer connection will maybe give you time to pop outside the station at Cologne and see the wonderful cathedral which is just outside the station or get yourself a coffee in one of the many outlets in the station.
That is a nice idea. How much is going on in Cologne at 07:00a-08:00a in the morning?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:21 am

If I was in your position I would:
- check in online
- take the RE at 0651, with a plan to connect to your booked ICE at 0755 in Köln.
- if you miss the connection, then take the ICE at 0827.

In general, I would aim to take the train before the last possible one to make your flight, unless you have a flexible ticket at no time pressure. Long Distance Trains in Germany are 75% on-time (defined as arriving within 6 minutes of the scheduled time).
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:51 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Assuming you're staying at a hotel in Aachen, you could also move to Cologne the evening before and spend the night at a hotel near the station.

HTB.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by 8420PR
If I was in your position I would:
- check in online
- take the RE at 0651, with a plan to connect to your booked ICE at 0755 in Köln.
- if you miss the connection, then take the ICE at 0827.

In general, I would aim to take the train before the last possible one to make your flight, unless you have a flexible ticket at no time pressure. Long Distance Trains in Germany are 75% on-time (defined as arriving within 6 minutes of the scheduled time).
I ended up doing that. The RE at 0651 ran 10 minutes late, so I boarded the ICE within maybe 30 seconds of it departing. I don't recommend anyone else try that.

One odd thing riding the ICE: it was two different trains, same train number. In my rush, I boarded the "wrong" train (the first one that arrived). My assigned coach and seat were in the next train.

The conductor first told me to get off at Bonn and wait for the next train to arrive, but then he decided there was plenty of space and just stay on the train since my destination was the next stop (Frankfurt airport) anyway.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
Originally Posted by Joshua
The conductor first told me to get off at Bonn and wait for the next train to arrive, but then he decided there was plenty of space and just stay on the train since my destination was the next stop (Frankfurt airport) anyway.
Hmm... there are two segments of the train that join in Cologne, so it's a bizarre suggestion to get off in Siegburg and wait for the "next" train.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by econprof
Hmm... there are two segments of the train that join in Cologne, so it's a bizarre suggestion to get off in Siegburg and wait for the "next" train.
It's two EMUs coupled together.
He meant: get off the front one (preferably at the very last door of the very last carriage) and, while the train is at the station, walk to the first door of the first carriage of the second EMU and get back on.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:16 am
htb

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
It's two EMUs coupled together.
He meant: get off the front one (preferably at the very last door of the very last carriage) and, while the train is at the station, walk to the first door of the first carriage of the second EMU and get back on.
That's a bizarre proposal to make to a customer...

HTB.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by htb
That's a bizarre proposal to make to a customer...
Well, it happens pretty frequently with DB that they have two multi-unit train sets joined together which are then split at a later station (and continuing in different directions).

They make announcements at the stations and on the train regarding which train set goes where and also tell you that might have to exit and re-enter at some station (if you entered in a wrong car initially).

Probably, the confusion arose from some language issue (either the conductor not expressing himself correctly in English, the OP misunderstood him speaking German or something...)
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:08 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Joshua
I ended up doing that. The RE at 0651 ran 10 minutes late, so I boarded the ICE within maybe 30 seconds of it departing. I don't recommend anyone else try that.

One odd thing riding the ICE: it was two different trains, same train number. In my rush, I boarded the "wrong" train (the first one that arrived). My assigned coach and seat were in the next train.

The ICE3 trains normally consist of two separate trains especially on routes with high demand. One section of the trains has the cars with the numbers 21-29 and the other one has the cars with the numbers 31-39. Both trains have the same number for example ICE612. You can only switch between the cars during a stop at a train station. That is probably what the conductor tried to explain (the English of German Bahn employees is well known for weird expressions). He didn't mean to get off to wait for the next train arriving but to get off to switch to the cars with the correct number. Especially when the train is pretty full and you have a seat reservation this can make sense. If the train is not full and there are enough seats without reservations you just stay.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:20 pm
htb

Originally Posted by 1flyer
Well, it happens pretty frequently with DB that they have two multi-unit train sets joined together which are then split at a later station (and continuing in different directions).
Sure. That makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to ask a customer to transfer from one unit to the other when both units go to the same place (Frankfurt Airport).

HTB.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by htb
Sure. That makes sense. But it doesn't make sense to ask a customer to transfer from one unit to the other when both units go to the same place (Frankfurt Airport).

HTB.
You haven't been on a DB train on a Friday or Sunday for some time I suppose... you really don't want to lose the seat reservation. It didn't make sense for OP, which is why the conductor let him stay where he was.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by htb

HTB.
It makes sense, when one part is fully packed and the other is almost empty (happened to me already).
Old Nov 24, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
I believe I know the answer to this but I wanted to check nonetheless:
Travelling with checked bags, can I book a ticket xxx-FRA-Dusseldorf Hbf via Express Rail, reclaim my bag at these AirRail counters at FRA Fernbahnhof, and then not get on the train?
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by airoli
I believe I know the answer to this but I wanted to check nonetheless:
Travelling with checked bags, can I book a ticket xxx-FRA-Dusseldorf Hbf via Express Rail, reclaim my bag at these AirRail counters at FRA Fernbahnhof, and then not get on the train?
Yes you can. Get your bags, clear customs, and walk to where you like. If you care for the miles, better don't book another flight on LH that takes places at the same point in time as your train trip.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:29 pm

I think my question is even more obvious, but want to make sure I don't screw up my ticket.

Coming from US, flying LH to FRA, then have a DB segment to CGN.

Same ticket, return flight, direct from CGN back to US.

No checked bag. Do I need to do anything at the train station in FRA, or can I walk away upon landing and not lose my CGN-USA return segment?

Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.