Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Light Fare on longhaul routes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
There’s a whole thread about the “Economy Light” fare in this forum.
New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

It’s ok for a weekend getaway and although as a SEN (LH *G) I cannot select a seat free of charge I am usually assigned an exit row window seat which I manage to change during OLCI.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Also note that for Light tickets on long haul LH gives *G a checked baggage allowance for free as a gesture of goodwill.

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/economy-light-fare
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
On the plus side, pax get a food tray even on short haul flights.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:03 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Fare ConditionsEconomy LightSnacks & beverages1 piece of carry-on baggage
up to 8kg/18lbs
Rebooking not possibleRefund not possible
I get that you might not fly LH Group airlines as often as others here but instead of continuing to post incorrect information, please link correctly:

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/carry-on-baggage

And scroll down to "Additional items of baggage that can be taken into the cabin free of charge"

Quote "Another small item of baggage (max. x=30 cm y=40 cm z=10 cm, e.g. handbag, laptop bag)."

I.e. exactly the same as what I posted above.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
On the plus side, pax get a food tray even on short haul flights.
Sandwich & drink, no tray involved
N1003U likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by GVA
I get that you might not fly LH Group airlines as often as others here but instead of continuing to post incorrect information, please link correctly:

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/carry-on-baggage

And scroll down to "Additional items of baggage that can be taken into the cabin free of charge"

Quote "Another small item of baggage (max. x=30 cm y=40 cm z=10 cm, e.g. handbag, laptop bag)."

I.e. exactly the same as what I posted above.
I think we are talking about the same thing. Be it a backpack, or a handbag = personal item, plus 1 carryon. I observed many pax having two carryons (wheelies).

By the way, I pasted the infographic directly from LH. If it is incorrect, feel free to take it up with the airline.

Originally Posted by chris63

Sandwich & drink, no tray involved
Whole tray of hot food one-way (lunch) and full breakfast on the way back. Nothing to speak of on the quality
Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whole tray of hot food one-way (lunch) and full breakfast on the way back. Nothing to speak of on the quality
Then it wasn’t a short flight A tray is only going to happen on one of the longest Intra EU flights. can you share the route ?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63

Then it wasn’t a short flight A tray is only going to happen on one of the longest Intra EU flights. can you share the route ?
Between Madrid and Munich.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Between Madrid and Munich.
Exactly, 2.5 hours is not a ‘short’ flight within Europe & it depends on the competition LH faces on the route as to wether you have a half decent meal or not, most LH intra EU get a sandwich & a drink.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:40 am

Does anyone know if I book a basic economy ticket from United (which doesn't include seat reservations), but all on Lufthansa operated flights - can I reserve seats on Lufthansa for free as a Sen?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: LO
yes you can but probably you have to call
Old Oct 25, 2019, 2:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The longhaul light has now been expanded to other longhaul destinations:

Lufthansa Group now also offers Economy Light Fare on routes to Africa, Asia,
Middle East and South America

The "Economy Light Fare" is successively available for further intercontinental routes operated by Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa and SWISS from 30 October 2019 (in Germany, Austria and Switzerland from 6 November). The fare has been available for North America since summer 2018 and is the cheapest choice for price-conscious passengers who want to travel with hand luggage only and do not require ticket flexibility. If required, passengers can individually book a piece of luggage for a fee. Meals and beverages on board remain free of charge for passengers.

The new tariff can be booked exclusively via austrian.com, lh.com and swiss.com as well as with our sales partners, for whom the fares are available via the direct interface (Direct NDC API).

hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Light Fare between US and EU

Any star alliance gold members have purchased light fare between EU and US and are able to check in one piece of luggage free? I searched on website of Lufthansa and it is said for the time being as a gesture of goodwill, one piece of luggage can be checked in for free...

Anbody has real experiences in this? Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 3:04 pm
Suspended

It depends. If the long-haul flight is on Lufthansa metal, you indeed get one piece of luggage in eco light as *G.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I can verify that Eco Light passengers who hold *G, SEN or HON status would have one piece of 23kgs ( 50 lbs ) checked baggage allowance.
In your case, as 8mh mentioned, your long-haul leg should be on LH metal. For codeshares, I know that United has 1 x 23kgs bag allowance for *G traveling on Basic Economy; however I have no idea about Air Canada codeshares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.