Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Light Fare on longhaul routes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
The flight I intend to book is ticketed by UA, but operated by Lufthansa. So in this case, there will be 1 luggage 23kg included.

Big problem is that these flights earn only 0.5 EQM...
Old Oct 31, 2019, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Tommys888
The flight I intend to book is ticketed by UA, but operated by Lufthansa. So in this case, there will be 1 luggage 23kg included.

Sorry, that's not the problem! The problem is that you want to fly LH, a cheap fare, a free piece of luggage and miles. As Mick Jagger used to sing, "You can't always get what you want..."
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KLouis
Sorry, that's not the problem! The problem is that you want to fly LH, a cheap fare, a free piece of luggage and miles. As Mick Jagger used to sing, "You can't always get what you want..."
But he's trying to be 1337 again!
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:42 am

Then pay for higher fare bucket for the miles
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:28 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
Just to confirm if my understanding is correct:

If I travel on a long-haul economy light fare, with a connection in FRA from Spain, as a Star Alliance Gold member I am able to check-in a bag for the whole journey?

Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
Originally Posted by jackr27
Just to confirm if my understanding is correct:

If I travel on a long-haul economy light fare, with a connection in FRA from Spain, as a Star Alliance Gold member I am able to check-in a bag for the whole journey?

Thanks.
My understanding is that it's goodwill gesture only for Lufthansa Senator or HON, not any Star Alliance Gold member.
jackr27 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not true. Its for Star Gold as well.
When booking the Economy Light fare, a fee for checked baggage also applies to Miles & More status customers and Star Alliance Gold members. As a gesture of goodwill, for the time being HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can, however, take one piece of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge. This goodwill gesture applies exclusively to Lufthansa flights at the airport check-in counter. If a piece of baggage is booked in advance, e.g. online or in a travel agency, a baggage fee applies.
https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/economy-light-fare
yurtripper and jackr27 like this.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Thank you. Very useful. Now I'm less inclined to book LH Eco Light fares.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:45 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
I contacted Lufthansa on Twitter and they claimed no one on an economy light fare can take a free checked bag, which yes, stands in contrast to their website. I did mention this and was told they'd sent the web page to the 'relevant department'.

So I still don't know whether to risk a bag. I might just take a small suitcase on as hand baggage to avoid any problems as I don't want to risk being hit at the airport.

I haven't actually ever flown Lufthansa. As long as the bag is within the size limit, does anyone know how likely it is they'd actually weigh it at the gate? I am assuming this isn't a very common occurrence?

Thanks again for the insights.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Helga should follow Basia and start Business fares with no checked bags.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Do report back here with your experience from checking for the LH flight.
Grog likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jackr27
I contacted Lufthansa on Twitter and they claimed no one on an economy light fare can take a free checked bag, which yes, stands in contrast to their website. I did mention this and was told they'd sent the web page to the 'relevant department'.

So I still don't know whether to risk a bag. I might just take a small suitcase on as hand baggage to avoid any problems as I don't want to risk being hit at the airport.

I haven't actually ever flown Lufthansa. As long as the bag is within the size limit, does anyone know how likely it is they'd actually weigh it at the gate? I am assuming this isn't a very common occurrence?

Thanks again for the insights.
For different issues (not this particular free bag issue), I have taken printed copies of their website pages in a few instances. When furnished with the written copy, they still wanted to refuse, but then called in their manager and the printouts won the day.

It's best if you can find the written statements in both German and another language, both from their actual website along with the date of your retrieval also visible. When shown in two languages including German, they cannot claim any translation error or outdatedness issues.
romans and jackr27 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.