Austrian - Carry on weight limit?

Old Sep 29, 17, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Austrian - Carry on weight limit?

Hello,

I'm flying Austrian Air on Monday - LAX-VIE biz.

And, just read they have a weight limit on carry on... ~17 pounds?

My Rimowa carry on weighs ~10 pounds empty... and it being a two wheeler, would not appreciate having to check it. It's probably going to end up around 20-22 lbs.

Is this true? Strict enforcement? Thoughts/tips/tricks?

Thanks!

Last edited by jacobslide; Sep 29, 17 at 12:00 pm
Old Sep 29, 17, 1:10 pm

8kg reasonably strict enforcement prior to security on a potential return at VIE
Old Sep 29, 17, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sw1x View Post
8kg reasonably strict enforcement prior to security on a potential return at VIE
Thanks! Is it the same LAX-VIE?

Or just VIE side.

Imagine I'll just bring a packable duffle and drop 5 pounds in it...
Old Sep 30, 17, 4:02 am

Don't know the OS situation in LAX (yet).

Normally I would not worry too much if you have hand luggage only.

In VIE I would encourage you to approach the security gates via the new designated Business Check-in area to minimise risk. Having said that, OS check-in personnel in VIE even at the SEN desks can be surprisingly strict at times - in case you have check-in luggage and cannot avoid them.
Old Oct 2, 17, 8:18 am

Every time I have checked in at the SEN desk, I asked for the hand luggage tag so you can pass by the checkers after check-in/before security.

VIE is IMHO one of the most consistent and strictest airports to check hand luggage to the air side.
However, there is no actual check of weight, amount of bags, sizes etc once you passed security / prior to boarding at the boarding gate.
Old Oct 3, 17, 4:44 am

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Originally Posted by sw1x View Post
This Sunday they stopped everyone with a rollerboard at VIE without a red carry-on tag and forced people to weight it - was quite a long line! Really need to use the SEN/Biz check-in area since that bypasses the check.
Old Oct 3, 17, 5:31 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by LukasVIE View Post
This Sunday they stopped everyone with a rollerboard at VIE without a red carry-on tag and forced people to weight it - was quite a long line! Really need to use the SEN/Biz check-in area since that bypasses the check.
Really need to stick to limits! I don't get why people cannot understand such a simple thing.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 4, 17, 11:55 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
Really need to stick to limits! I don't get why people cannot understand such a simple thing.
Perhaps because anyone whoís flown elsewhere in the world knows the 8kg limit is unnecessary. Every other aircraft in every other region of the world manages to accommodate carry-on bags according to their dimensions, not their weight. Indeed, the 8kg rule is widely ignored even within Europe, and almost universally dismissed in J and F cabins.

My roll-aboard weighs approximately 15kg when full, and it easily fits in full-size overhead bins. The few times itís been proactively rejected at check-in before an intra-European flight there has been no benefit to anyone: the bins end up half empty and Iím delayed waiting at baggage claim.
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:29 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; GHA Black; IHG Gold; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
Perhaps because anyone whoís flown elsewhere in the world knows the 8kg limit is unnecessary. Every other aircraft in every other region of the world manages to accommodate carry-on bags according to their dimensions, not their weight. Indeed, the 8kg rule is widely ignored even within Europe, and almost universally dismissed in J and F cabins.

My roll-aboard weighs approximately 15kg when full, and it easily fits in full-size overhead bins.
Let you say one thing. It's not a question of fitting, but a question of loads (design loads) onto the bins in case of crash (16g). I have never one heavier than 8 kg and I refuse to sit below a heavy one.
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by athome View Post
I have never one heavier than 8 kg and I refuse to sit below a heavy one.
Fair enough, but I’m not sure I follow; are you able to sense the mass of objects placed directly above you? Absent this Jedi-like skill, I’m not sure how one could discern the weight of another passenger’s carry-on.

As for me, as I mentioned above, it comes down to the fact that this rule is in place in only one region of the globe and broadly unenforced even there.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 5, 17, 1:58 am

Programs: LH
If you are above 8kg, they only ask you, whether you have laptop in the bag. If you say yes, there are no more questions asked or any inspection.
Old Oct 5, 17, 3:47 am

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
Don't know what you are incinuating since I merely suggested bypassing the LINE OF PEOPLE waiting to get their bag checked - as a matter of fact, did not even have a rollerboard.

Originally Posted by athome View Post
Let you say one thing. It's not a question of fitting, but a question of loads (design loads) onto the bins in case of crash (16g). I have never one heavier than 8 kg and I refuse to sit below a heavy one.
Most aircraft overhead compartment can hold between 35-50 kg there usually is a little placard with the weight limit, can't remember the last time I have seen a 16kg weight limit.
Old Oct 5, 17, 3:03 pm

Programs: LH HON, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; GHA Black; IHG Gold; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by LukasVIE View Post
Most aircraft overhead compartment can hold between 35-50 kg there usually is a little placard with the weight limit, can't remember the last time I have seen a 16kg weight limit.
Who tells that only 2 carry-on's fit into an overhead bin segment. Normally you get in easily 3 and one or two small bags. Brings you up to 35 kg, even if the the carry-on weight only 8kg each.
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:42 pm

Any more recent updates on this? Iím flying LAX-VIE-CPH. Roller case is small and size dimensions are never a problem. But I stuff it full and heavy, easily 12-14 kg

I would think LAX no problem. (??) But for VIE-CPH...
Iíll be going through security again before this connection, right?. Where is the SEN Business entrance? If my bag is too heavy, Do I get a minute to repack and maybe move stuff to my backpack (second carryon). Where do I get the red ALL CLEAR tag ?
Old Apr 14, 19, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom View Post
[...]
Where do I get the red ALL CLEAR tag ?
Should you pack according to your plan you will be in violation of the carry-on weight limitations - as you seem to be well aware. Thatís why you simply wonít get the red ďall-clearĒ approved-cabin-baggage tag. Simples.

Search this Thread