Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earlier flight on day of travel (LH Group) [with a flex ticket]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
TheSEN agents are trained to immediately look in the reservation system, whereas the flex same day change is done in the DCS system that handles the airport processes. The reservation system will always prompt a reprice and look for the fare rules. The DCS will just seat the pax in a different flight and use the coupon of the original ticket to pay for it. No reissue/rebooking.

You can see how that looks in Altea CM at 26:45 of this video:
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:35 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by cas_de
Bumping this old thread...

Does anyone know if you can take a *later* flight on the same day using a flex ticket?

Situation 3 p.m. flight is available in booking class H and the next flight with availability in anything lower than Y is at 8 p.m. There are few flights in between that show Y9. If I book the the flex fare for the 3 p.m. can I "rebook" (during checkin) using the same day departure change option to, say, a 5 p.m. flight without incurring an upfare?

Thanks,
cas_de
Here's an update on what happened. I was checked in on the original flight and within 23 hrs of departure (on the day before the flight) I saw many options to change my flight, either to earlier and to later flights. On the morning of the departure most options were gone (except for the last flight late in the evening) although all the flights in between my original flight and the last one where both bookable on lh.com and were showing Y9 on EF. So either those flights were heavily overbooked (but LH was still willing to see 9+ seats in Y) or LH is not taking the Same Day Rebooking option for Flex tickets too seriously...
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
Does the free same-day change also apply to connecting flights (specifically flights with an overnight connection in FRA)? I'm looking at DUB-FRA-TXL after arriving in DUB on a separate ticket and would prefer to book the flight that's around 5 hours after I arrive in case of any delays. This would involve an overnight connection in FRA but I'd then like then rebook onto the flight leaving an hour and 5 minutes after I arrive in DUB should things run on time. That would be a same-day connection in FRA and get me home that evening. Does anyone know whether this plan will work? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
IIRC this wasn't working at all with connecting flights... but maybe by now it does.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
IIRC this wasn't working at all with connecting flights... but maybe by now it does.
Hmmmm.....that doesn't inspire me with confidence I must say! I'll get in touch with LH or the lurkers on here for clarification in that case I think. Thanks for the warning!
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
Hmmmm.....that doesn't inspire me with confidence I must say! I'll get in touch with LH or the lurkers on here for clarification in that case I think. Thanks for the warning!
Keep us posted on what they reply. I'm curious about this now because I thought the only restriction was to request the changes during check-in (and not through the "Manage my booking" page).
Old Oct 5, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by mmff
Keep us posted on what they reply. I'm curious about this now because I thought the only restriction was to request the changes during check-in (and not through the "Manage my booking" page).
I shall do. I've had an answer from Vanessa but she is referring to the same booking class being available so I have asked for further clarification. I'll update when I have a concrete answer.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
Yes, that was the thing, you had to do it via checkin (channel independent). Trying through Manage my booking would trigger a reprice on upfare.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:39 am

I've had an update from Vanessa saying that I can change to an earlier fight on the same day but not pull the flight forward by one day so I'm guessing that I would be able to take an earlier flight to FRA but would then still be stuck there overnight, as my connection is the next day. I have asked her to confirm that my interpretation is correct and will follow up here when she replies. If this is indeed the case, I won't bother paying the extra for Flex, as getting home the same day was my main aim. Having another 4 hours in FRA doesn't help really.
Grog likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:37 am

An update from Vanessa: my interpretation is correct, I would be stuck in FRA overnight even if I managed to get an earlier flight there, as flights can only be changed on the same day despite the fact that I'd be on one through ticket. That messes up that otherwise fine plan then!
Grog and mmff like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
Earlier international connection

My apologies if this is the wrong place for this question, but I don’t visit the LH forum often.

Next week, I’m flying YQT-YYZ-FRA-TUN on AC8540, AC876 (booked as LH6779), and LH1326. I believe this is an AC ticket (starts with 014) but booked by American Express travel. The segments are in Y for YQT-YYZ and Z for both YYZ-FRA and FRA-TUN.

As things are now, I have an 11-hour layover at FRA. I just found out there’s an earlier flight from FRA to TUN leaving at 15:00 (LH1324), which would give me a much more reasonable 4-hour layover.

Would LH allow me to change to the earlier flight or do standby on the day of the flight? I asked about changing now, but they want something ridiculous like €400 to do it.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Arcanum
My apologies if this is the wrong place for this question, but I don’t visit the LH forum often.

Next week, I’m flying YQT-YYZ-FRA-TUN on AC8540, AC876 (booked as LH6779), and LH1326. I believe this is an AC ticket (starts with 014) but booked by American Express travel. The segments are in Y for YQT-YYZ and Z for both YYZ-FRA and FRA-TUN.

As things are now, I have an 11-hour layover at FRA. I just found out there’s an earlier flight from FRA to TUN leaving at 15:00 (LH1324), which would give me a much more reasonable 4-hour layover.

Would LH allow me to change to the earlier flight or do standby on the day of the flight? I asked about changing now, but they want something ridiculous like €400 to do it.
I think it needs to be a LH ticket & the change can only be done in the LH app during check in, on the day, therefore upon arrival in FRA.

LH don’t use standby system like US carriers
mmff likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It isn't worthy of a new thread but I had a 5 min schedule change for a MAN trip with just over two weeks to departure. I was previously on an awful night stop flight in order to get to MAN at a decent time, but this 5 min change made the later flight ex-PL meet the FRA minimum 50 mins. Normally 5 mins wouldn't get you anything, but a quick call to LH and I was rebooked to the later flight ex-PL without any charge.

I find it unusual that LH change its schedule so soon. But good all the same and great that this connection will once again be possible for the rest of the Winter season.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Arcanum

They would have either upfared you on at least one of the segments (as available at the time of rebooking), or you had a fare with a really high change fee.
I mean, this is normal. They can't just change peoples flights willy nilly, for what they know, you got the long layover exactly because it was cheaper...

With regards to standby, there is a limited same-day standby system only for FLEX tickets. But it might only work for direct flights...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:49 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; LH M&M SEN; Hertz Presidents Circle; IHG Royal Ambassador
I have an Economy Flex Ticket One Way ZRH-FRA-TXL.

Does anyone now, if I can take an earlier (same day) flight for any of the two segements?

Above, there was mentioned, that at least at Start of this Feature, this did not work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.