Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to LH Premium Econ. or Business if purchased coach with miles?

Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus

Recently booked ORD-ATH with LH for 60,000 UAL miles. Does anyone know if I'm eligible to purchase a premium economy or business class seat with cash?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Simple answer: No, awards are not upgradable. You only could modify your booking to PE or C and pay the additional miles and the change fee.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:46 am

You may be able to purchase a better seat at check-in/gate at a fixed price.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus - Premier Gold, Star Alliance Gold, World of Hyatt Explorist, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Lack
You may be able to purchase a better seat at check-in/gate at a fixed price.
Will definitely inquire at check-in for availability. Can't imagine LH refusing to sell a seat if its empty just before the flight, although I can understand them refusing to sell you the seat weeks/months in advance as they'd want to charge someone the full value of any premium seat.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
It's true that you may be able to purchase a better seat in the Economy cabin, but it's also very true that award tickets are not upgradable to another cabin without spending the additional miles. They will indeed, gladly keep a PE or J cabin seat empty rather than dilute the integrity of the award ticket system or, of course, the fare structure for paying customers.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by wfiring12
It's true that you may be able to purchase a better seat in the Economy cabin, but it's also very true that award tickets are not upgradable to another cabin without spending the additional miles. They will indeed, gladly keep a PE or J cabin seat empty rather than dilute the integrity of the award ticket system or, of course, the fare structure for paying customers.
Olivier will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but the "the no diluting" days are long over.
You can bid on upgrades for 220 award tickets as much as you like, and for non-LH tickets, they will sell an upgrade to PE or C on day of departure for a fixed sum.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: LH Senator BA Silver
Originally Posted by Lack
Olivier will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but the "the no diluting" days are long over.
You can bid on upgrades for 220 award tickets as much as you like, and for non-LH tickets, they will sell an upgrade to PE or C on day of departure for a fixed sum.

Hmm...good to know. Maybe I should stop buying my F tickets! But then again, I don't want to leave anything to chance. So, it's all good I suppose.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by wfiring12
Hmm...good to know. Maybe I should stop buying my F tickets! But then again, I don't want to leave anything to chance. So, it's all good I suppose.

I think F upgrade are a bit more restricted. And of course they calculated it high enough not to cannibalize revenue tickets, so the upgrade route is often not worth it if you can shop around for a ticket in the desired cabin.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Manospeed
Will definitely inquire at check-in for availability. Can't imagine LH refusing to sell a seat if its empty just before the flight,
Oh, I can....
Old Aug 31, 2017, 2:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Recently booked ORD-ATH with LH for 60,000 UAL miles. Does anyone know if I'm eligible to purchase a premium economy or business class seat with cash?
... and because it is an UA-ticket, the online bidding option is not possible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.