Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

EU261 advice please - double compensation if cancelled and another flight overbooked?

EU261 advice please - double compensation if cancelled and another flight overbooked?

Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G (Elite+)

I need some advice on the following case.

LO724 from TBS to WAW cancelled due to operational reasons (techincal fault, flight from WAW was also cancelled), ticket rebooked for next day same flight. Obviously 400€ should be compensated.

LO724 on another day overbooked (aircraft change B738=>B734, more than 20pax were denied boarding). Another clear 400€ (but not paid at the airport, staff asked to submit a claim).

Is the airline obliged to pay twice 400€ or they will consider it as one journey?

Situation took place yesterday and today so I don't have answer from LOT yet. But I'm pretty sure they will do everything not to pay, all my previous cases with LOT I had to wait months for compensation and they paid only after Polish CAA asked them to.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by sinus
I need some advice on the following case.

LO724 from TBS to WAW cancelled due to operational reasons (techincal fault, flight from WAW was also cancelled), ticket rebooked for next day same flight. Obviously 400€ should be compensated.

LO724 on another day overbooked (aircraft change B738=>B734, more than 20pax were denied boarding). Another clear 400€ (but not paid at the airport, staff asked to submit a claim).

Is the airline obliged to pay twice 400€ or they will consider it as one journey?

Situation took place yesterday and today so I don't have answer from LOT yet. But I'm pretty sure they will do everything not to pay, all my previous cases with LOT I had to wait months for compensation and they paid only after Polish CAA asked them to.
Yes, must paid both. Even if the you were bumped of the flight they rebooked you, is a separate claim.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Thank you schrodingerdog. Is there any clear point on the EU261 saying it or any Court judgment for similar case?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by sinus
Thank you schrodingerdog. Is there any clear point on the EU261 saying it or any Court judgment for similar case?
I don't think so but it is not necessary.

They were two different trips, so you submit both claims separately and all the further complaints to Polish CAA also separately. There is no relation between both problems (apart that it is in the same route) so there is no way the airline can consider it the same journey.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once you were rebooked and confirmed on the flight for the second day, EC261 applies to that flight for IDB, assuming that you were checked in and at the gate on time.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Situation happened to my friend. She was one of the last in the queue for check-in counter and at the desk was informed that flight is full.

Thank you. Then we submit separate claims for each case.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
I am not sure LOT or a court will follow the argumentation necessarily, as you had a single contract with the airline to transport you from A to B. Due to their fault ( I am assuming now) you arrived at you destination more the 3 respectively 4 hours later than planned. They are due to compensate you once, as it does not make a difference for EC261, if you arrive 24 or 36 hours later.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
IDB compensation is not related to delay . It must be paid even if the alternate flight will arrive earlier than original one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.