Did the crew eat it? (first class meal)

Old Jul 3, 17, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Plat, HH Gold, AMEX Plat
Did the crew eat it? (first class meal)

I just flew on LH 454 from FRA-SFO in F. Right after takeoff, I informed the flight attendant I wanted to sleep and have my meal later. She asked me my choice for the mail course and I would like to have the veal shank.

After waking up in the middle of the flght, about 5 hours after takeoff. Said I was ready for my meal. Flight attendant told me the caviar was all gone, only one of the starters were still available. I was a bit surprised as when I did this in the past, they always saved everything for me (including caviar). The way Lufthansa served their starters is everyone gets all the choices as the portions are small, kind of tapas style.

The question is, did the crew ate the meal? I would even say my meal since I paid for my seat and services and told them to save the meal for me.
Old Jul 3, 17, 1:42 pm

This is not normal. I have done this (go to sleep right away and asked crew to save my selections for later, including the caviar) plenty of times and never had an issue. At this point, there's no way to tell what happened. It's a shame.
Old Jul 4, 17, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chipguy View Post
I just flew on LH 454 from FRA-SFO in F. Right after takeoff, I informed the flight attendant I wanted to sleep and have my meal later. She asked me my choice for the mail course and I would like to have the veal shank.

After waking up in the middle of the flght, about 5 hours after takeoff. Said I was ready for my meal. Flight attendant told me the caviar was all gone, only one of the starters were still available. I was a bit surprised as when I did this in the past, they always saved everything for me (including caviar). The way Lufthansa served their starters is everyone gets all the choices as the portions are small, kind of tapas style.

The question is, did the crew ate the meal? I would even say my meal since I paid for my seat and services and told them to save the meal for me.
I would write this in. No matter what happened it is unacceptable. You informed the crew you wanted to dine later and they should have planned for it accordingly. There is no excuse for this.
Old Jul 5, 17, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by NYC1 View Post
This is not normal. I have done this (go to sleep right away and asked crew to save my selections for later, including the caviar) plenty of times and never had an issue. At this point, there's no way to tell what happened. It's a shame.
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
I would write this in. No matter what happened it is unacceptable. You informed the crew you wanted to dine later and they should have planned for it accordingly. There is no excuse for this.
+1. This is not normal and you should report it to LH. You can ping the LH lurker at FT for assistance with the feedback process.
Old Jul 5, 17, 5:50 am

Programs: LH HON
it probably was a misunderstanding but still should not have happened.

LH usually over-caters for me (I have a dietary restriction so they always cater the regular meal PLUS a special meal for me... despite me telling them to stop doing so, but that is a different story). Usually, they are very happy to hear that I will not "need" most of it - on my last trip for example, a couple in C forgot to order a VLML so they got my starter and main course from the special (which both were veggie) and were obviously super happy about that.

doesn't explain the caviar though...
Old Jul 5, 17, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I submitted feedback through the LH website a few days ago. Will post their response.

Have done this myself a number of times and always worked perfectly. Good to hear this is more of an exception.
Old Jul 6, 17, 5:07 am
Original Poster

This is the reply from LH:

"Thank you for your feedback dated 04 Jul 17 . We sincerely regret that you did not receive any caviar and a limited appetizer selection on your flight to San Francisco.

For us, food and beverages are just as an essential part of good onboard service as they are for you. Although this should never occur, an error in the service chain resulted in an insufficient amount of caviar and appetizers being loaded onto your flight. We sincerely apologize for this situation and hope that our cabin crew did their best to compensate this frustrating situation for you by any means possible.

To make up for the fact that your travel experience with Lufthansa was not fully satisfactory this time, we hope that you will accept the 7500 bonus miles we added to your Senator account.

We value your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back onboard Lufthansa in the near future."

I figured 7500 miles is worth about $200-300. Came to this valuation based on how much I would have to pay if I purchased these miles.

What does the group think?
Old Jul 6, 17, 5:50 am

i'm not going to argue about the value of the 7500 miles (depending on Point of view they may be worth more or less).

Still, I think it's a sign of goodwill and that is pretty much all they can do at this point anyway. So I'd take it and just forget about it. I once got 10.000 miles for broken IFE and another 10.000 for a broken table so one could argue that "Standard" compensation should be 10, not 7.5 but then again, it's not like you got no food at all.
Old Jul 6, 17, 8:37 am

I figured 7500 miles is worth about $200-300.
I think your pricing is a bit higher than it should.

Originally Posted by daumueller View Post
Still, I think it's a sign of goodwill and that is pretty much all they can do at this point anyway. So I'd take it and just forget about it.
This is true but I feel they were (needlessly) stingy. In this case I would have expected a compensation of 10-20k miles if flying on paid F.
Old Jul 6, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Frankly, I think the fact that they gave you a substantive response rather than a canned one is worth quite a bit.
Old Jul 6, 17, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf View Post
Frankly, I think the fact that they gave you a substantive response rather than a canned one is worth quite a bit.
Yup. The genuine apology and explanation of what went wrong would be the most important part for me.

I think most would peg the value of 7500 M&M at around $112 US (1.5 cpm).
Old Jul 9, 17, 10:39 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
With such poor execution of service on a FC ticket, I would expect much more. Genuine apology and explanation, while important and to be expected, does not make up for lack of proper execution.

Over the years when disruptions of service in eco and biz, I have usually received much higher amount in either miles (20K) or voucher (20% or more of flight cost). And that was when miles were valued at much more than they are today (also because LH's award fees were much less).
Old Jul 19, 17, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the posts. In the future, I will let the crew know I expect them to save starters and caviar for me. A bit sad to have to spell this out explicitly in FC.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why should I fly in F. Is the service and seat really worth the fare difference between F and C?
Old Jul 20, 17, 12:05 am

Thanks for all the posts. In the future, I will let the crew know I expect them to save starters and caviar for me. A bit sad to have to spell this out explicitly in FC.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why should I fly in F. Is the service and seat really worth the fare difference between F and C?
depends on your wallet, size and fares on your route.

for me, the seat alone is worth the difference - I rarely eat on eastbound flights for example.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: