FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   SFO-MUC fare expectations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1849260-sfo-muc-fare-expectations.html)

Rowyourboat Jun 20, 2017 4:44 pm

SFO-MUC fare expectations

Hello,

I was looking into SFO-MUC J fares on LH group, and they are sky high even several months out. I mean there are routings where SFO-MUC is $5800 in C and $6400 in F. Surprising since I would expect a far bigger difference, and the Biz cabin is actually a P-fare, which I assumed is the discounted fare cabin on LH/LX.

What is a good deal for SFO-MUC in C/F? Are there sales I should know about? My travel period is in October.

Thanks!

Yoshi212 Jun 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Non-stops between hubs (SFO is a Star Alliance Hub) hold a premium and in October you have part of Oktoberfest (think it runs early this year so not too far into October) so that may be compounding your fare.
Take a look at Kayak's fare tracker and the alternative fares being offered with a 1 hop. Also check what it cost to fly from LAX as SFO-LAX fares can be really cheap with the competition.

cricketer Jun 21, 2017 4:00 am

Take a weekend in Belgrade, Sofia, Bucharest or somewhere like that at the beginning or end of your trip, and you'll save anywhere from $2000 to $3000 (i.e. SFO-MUC-SOF-MUC-SFO for e.g.)

gum Jun 21, 2017 4:03 am

The Oktoberfest normally ends - after the extension respectively addition of one day some years ago - on October 3rd. (Anniversary of German unification).

During the Oktoberfest not only some air fares but the prices of accommodation rise extremely (with some 3star hotels going to the 150 Euro+ range for one night).

So if you are able to avoid and not reallly a fan of the Oktoberfest it's better to travel some days later. ;)

oliver2002 Jun 21, 2017 5:08 am

If you want to fly MUC-SFO direct on LH and don't mind flying to another European city, tickets can be had in October for 3500$ return (example AMS, CDG, LON): https://www.google.de/flights/#searc...=LH;c=MUC;mc=m

warakorn Jun 21, 2017 6:42 am

Germany - SFO roundtrip on UA/LH in Y are dirtcheap, even in August; i can easily find sub-EUR 600 fares; this is not normal for high season; I smell over-capacity with all the additions of European services to SFO and SJC in recent times

Kacee Jun 21, 2017 10:31 am

$5-6k for SFO-MUC in business class is actually the low end of the usual range. While there are occasional sales, they are neither common nor predictable. If you need to fly on specific dates, you'll probably have to either pay in that range, or get creative in your routing. For example, there's currently a $3000 fare SFO-BUD, and a $2900 fare SFO-FRA on SQ (with SFO-JFK on VX). Another option would be to book flight + hotel package on Expedia for $3-4k, but that deal involves primarily ST options rather than *A.

SchokoLate Jun 21, 2017 12:53 pm

You might also take a look at the option to purchase Economy and then purchase an upgrade or bid for it. For a Saturday flight MUC - SFO and a return a week later, the upgrades to business later bidding suggests for the next weekend and the following one prices of ~$1,000 and $1,100 (maximum bid is ~$1,700) - downside is you can't rely on these prices and will only know two days before departure.

gum Jun 22, 2017 2:53 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 28469071)
If you want to fly MUC-SFO direct on LH and don't mind flying to another European city, tickets can be had in October for 3500$ return (example AMS, CDG, LON): https://www.google.de/flights/#searc...=LH;c=MUC;mc=m

Great idea. So my answer is just a thank you! :)

Lack Jun 22, 2017 3:48 am

For under $3k you should be able to buy enough miles and get an award ticket.

BOSTravels Jun 22, 2017 7:02 am

Perhaps not what you want, but you can fly SFO-SEA-MUC with AS/DE for $3500.

oliver2002 Jun 22, 2017 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Lack (Post 28473056)
For under $3k you should be able to buy enough miles and get an award ticket.

Umm... award seat via a non-M&M FFP from LH ex SFO? Keep dreaming...

cfischer Jun 22, 2017 9:09 am

Originally Posted by BOSTravels (Post 28473498)
Perhaps not what you want, but you can fly SFO-SEA-MUC with AS/DE for $3500.

ouch ... DE vs. LH? Would not do this. The F fare sounds very reasonable to me, heck I usually pay $2k more for BOS-MUC in C!

Lack Jun 22, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 28473957)
Umm... award seat via a non-M&M FFP from LH ex SFO? Keep dreaming...

That bad? Even with connecting in SEA/DFW?
I know that UA availability sucks though for domestic feeders.

Kacee Jun 22, 2017 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Lack (Post 28474251)
That bad? Even with connecting in SEA/DFW?
I know that UA availability sucks though for domestic feeders.

You can usually find something if you have flexibility on date and routing (with domestic connector almost certainly in Y), but not really feasible if you have "must travel" days. October would be especially difficult.