Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Denied boarding - Lufthansa misinterprets Timatic [for Syrian flying FRA-BEY]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied boarding - Lufthansa misinterprets Timatic [for Syrian flying FRA-BEY]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daumueller
Did the father in law maybe leave the EU with his swedish residents card and the mother with her passport? This would explain pretty much everything?
You cant leave EU with only a residency permit card, you need the your passport as well. But to answer your question, no, they came and left together. The only difference between them is that this is his first trip whereas she has made several trips earlier (and has lots of stamps)
Old May 14, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pmichelazzo
Seems the problem start in ARN. If someone has a problem with the documents, the denied boarding need to be effective on the first leg, not in a connection.

Anyway, I don't know if LH need to pay for a passenger mistake. IMHO, the first problem was, unfortunately, your parents in law. Every passenger need to know which documents are necessary to travel. The carrier just denied or not, using the TIMATIC data.
You did not have enough information to accuse the passenger of a mistake. So far, it doesn't look like that the passenger or the OP has made any mistakes. A number of posts in this thread are accusational without sufficient evidence.

As a fellow member here, I'd prefer to see other members solicit more information for clarification rather than rushing to judgment against the OP and his parents. Too much to expect? I don't think so.
Old May 14, 2017, 4:38 am
Original Poster

They are on their way back to the airport now to see if LH will either re-book them on the next flight to BEY (if they can verify that they have made a mistake) or at least book them on the next flight back to ARN.

We will see how it goes.

Anyways, I would like to ask, in the case that we want to apply for compensation according to EU 261/04. To which airline would that be?

The ticketing airline is SAS (first leg was SAS) and the 2nd leg where one got denied boarding is operated by LH. However the e-ticket numbers are all in the SAS numbering scheme.

Complain to SAS or to LH in this case?
Old May 14, 2017, 5:47 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by barhom
They are on their way back to the airport now to see if LH will either re-book them on the next flight to BEY (if they can verify that they have made a mistake) or at least book them on the next flight back to ARN.

We will see how it goes.

Anyways, I would like to ask, in the case that we want to apply for compensation according to EU 261/04. To which airline would that be?

The ticketing airline is SAS (first leg was SAS) and the 2nd leg where one got denied boarding is operated by LH. However the e-ticket numbers are all in the SAS numbering scheme.

Complain to SAS or to LH in this case?
@barhom: I am sorry to hear about your parents' experience

Edit: I've just re-read your first post. Your parents booked their journey (ARN-FRA-BEY) on a single ticket. On 12 May, their first flight (ARN-FRA) was delayed. By the time they arrived in FRA, they had missed their connecting flight to BEY, and so they were re-booked onto the next flight from FRA to BEY on 13 May. However, on 13 May, they were denied boarding to the FRA-BEY flight, as LH incorrectly thought that your father had inadequate travel documentation. Your parents were therefore rebooked again onto the next flight from FRA to BEY on 14 May.

Based on these facts, I think your parents would actually be able to claim compensation pursuant to Regulation 261/2004 from both SAS (for the delay of the ARN-FRA flight, if the delay was 3 hours or more) and LH (as they denied boarding to the FRA-BEY flight on 13 May, without a valid reason). The Regulation exempts airlines from having to compensate passengers 'where there are reasonable grounds to deny them boarding, such as reasons of health, safety or security, or inadequate travel documentation', but in your parents' case, LH made a mistake and incorrectly thought that your father's travel documentation was inadequate.

Last edited by paul00; May 14, 2017 at 6:04 am
Old May 14, 2017, 5:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, I repeat my question: Parents are landside at FRA. After check in, they would go through exit passport control before boarding flights outside of the schengen area. Either the passport control officials stamp all (nonEU) passports or parent requests the stamp. This would seem to statisfy the requirement, no?

Alternatively, suppose one buys a fully refundable ticket to someplace outside of schengen/EU, checks in, and goes through passport control at FRA. That generates the exit stamp...

How about taking the train into Switzerland for a day? Does this generate the EU exit stamp? I suspect not as I rarely see immigration officials on European trains, but the situation might have changed in response to all the refugees in Europe.
Switzerland is in the Schengen area (having joined in 2008) and since then, although there are occasional passport inspections when travelling between Germany and Switzerland by train, passports are never stamped

As the affected people are Syrian citizens they will find it hard to get a visa to any third country especially if they do not really intend to genuinely visit that country. I suppose they could as a last resort book a flight to Iran

I am wondering how a Syrian citizen presumably at least in his 40s has "never left the EU"

I think the only recourse, if LH refuses to interpret the Timatic rules differently, is to contact the German Federal Police as stated by oliver2002
Old May 14, 2017, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by :D!
Switzerland i
I am wondering how a Syrian citizen presumably at least in his 40s has "never left the EU"
Why not? Thousands of reasons... no money for a trip, health issues, just don't want to... I know a lot people with Turkish passport who never even left Germany
Old May 14, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
The answer to that is quite simply. He gained his Swedish residency permit in 2016 and subsequently flew to ARN Stockholm for the first time ever in 2016.

This is his first trip leaving the EU, he has been here for less than a year. Quite naturally he only has 1 stamp on his passport with EU entries.

We have contacted LH in Frankfurt now and they are trying to get them on another flight to BEY tonight after tripe-checking that their documents are correct. At least they told us that, in case they cant fly them to BEY they will fly them back to ARN at their cost.

I assure you guys that their papers are in order. They are flying back to BEY to visit SYR to renew their passports. There's nothing hokus pokus about anything, a simple mistake done by the border police and/or the airline employees @ the gate of the plane.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Make sure their passports are signed We had some drama there too: LH Denied boarding in DXB due to unsigned SY passport [split off from Newbie lounge]
Old May 14, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year I flew FRA-BEY on LH and it was interesting watching the passport check process. A few people were denied boarding including one lady who couldn't explain why she was in London for an extended stay.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Seems like they were stamping the FRA EXIT stamp right at the gate.
This is what my parents in law told me all of the other passengers were doing.

It is there that the airline refused one of them boarding and as such no EXIT STAMP was given to them.
There could be one of several things going on.

The first thing I'd want to know if in their situations is if the Syrian government had reported the denied travel party's passport to Interpol. There has been a lot of that going on, and it's yet another reason that I've been saying that the Interpol SLT database has become a governmental weapon against the traveling public and is just not about stolen and lost travel documents.

There are Syrian citizens who have only ever lived in the EU, as various EU countries don't allow for dual-citizenship with non-European countries (at least). There are also Syrian citizens who have never left the EU as they came into the EU and have never left since then.

The answer to that is quite simply. He gained his Swedish residency permit in 2016 and subsequently flew to ARN Stockholm for the first time ever in 2016.

This is his first trip leaving the EU, he has been here for less than a year. Quite naturally he only has 1 stamp on his passport with EU entries.

We have contacted LH in Frankfurt now and they are trying to get them on another flight to BEY tonight after tripe-checking that their documents are correct. At least they told us that, in case they cant fly them to BEY they will fly them back to ARN at their cost.

I assure you guys that their papers are in order. They are flying back to BEY to visit SYR to renew their passports. There's nothing hokus pokus about anything, a simple mistake done by the border police and/or the airline employees @ the gate of the plane.
Some of these denials of travel actually protect Syrians from ending up worse off. For example, it's not necessarily a great thing to end up in Turkey or Lebanon or Iraq only to find out that the Syrian government has revoked the Syrian passport rights of a Syrian citizen legally resident in some EU/Schengen country who then can't make it back home easily since residency documents by themselves don't necessarily work all that well for international travel absent a passport.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 14, 2017 at 8:14 am
Old May 14, 2017, 8:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

How about taking the train into Switzerland for a day? Does this generate the EU exit stamp? I suspect not as I rarely see immigration officials on European trains, but the situation might have changed in response to all the refugees in Europe.
Switzerland is part of the Schengen area. Going from Germany to Switzerland won't generate an EU exit stamp for most people, and that has been consistent for the entire period of time during the Syrian refugee crisis.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Just to update you all.

Lufthansa is sending my parents in law back on the next flight to ARN at their cost.
I'll be sending a claim for compensation to SAS and Lufthansa according to Regulation 261/2004.

We will see how it goes.

Thanks
Old May 14, 2017, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
I assure you guys that their papers are in order. They are flying back to BEY to visit SYR to renew their passports.
They can't renew them at the Syrian embassy in Stockholm? Or any other Syrian embassy within the EU?
Old May 14, 2017, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
They can't renew them at the Syrian embassy in Stockholm? Or any other Syrian embassy within the EU?
Syria has cut back on where it holds passport blanks for its latest passport version and also increased the fees related to getting a passport. And Syria isn't all as well connected with DHL and the like as it used to be.

Non-European citizens with residency in an EU country can end up in a mess even if in the EU but outside their country of residency without a passport.

Even as a US passport holder with various treaty rights to be in some EU countries, if I cross the border of some such country to leave without my US passports, I may have trouble even crossing back in on the same day.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 14, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How much time was left on their passports?
(http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/travelinformation.php)

Document Validity
Passports and other documents accepted for entry issued to nationals of Syria must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the arrival date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.