Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Culinary lounge question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Culinary lounge question

Sorry, no route, seat or equipment question.

Mrs. Ex and I love the potato salad served in the LH Senator lounges at FRA and MUC. We can never get enough of it. If only they would serve original Frankfurter Wuerstchen with it at the FRA lounge, but I guess that's too cost prohibitive. The Leberkaes in MUC is quite sufficient. Can anyone point us to who we should we contact to try and get the recipe? Is it LSG or a different vendor?

Thanks for your help and bon appetit, or better Guten Appetit.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:01 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Others have tried with no luck that I can find.

A search on the web didn't find a definitive result, but does lead to an FT post from 2007/08.

Main points are potatoes should be warm, the dressing made with vinegar and oil instead of mayonnaise, onions finely chopped.

cheepneezy claims it can be done with store-bought Kraft dressing.

As for the Leberkaes (in case that was actually your question), a web search is probably your best bet as well.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grog
Others have tried with no luck that I can find.

https://twitter.com/lufthansa/status/430660657361731584

A search on the web didn't find a definitive result, but does lead to an FT post from 2007/08.

Main points are potatoes should be warm, the dressing made with vinegar and oil instead of mayonnaise, onions finely chopped.

cheepneezy claims it can be done with store-bought Kraft dressing.

As for the Leberkaes (in case that was actually your question), a web search is probably your best bet as well.
No, no, it was exclusively for the potato salad recipe. I have a great Japanese butcher, who apprenticed in Germany and he does fantastic German products, as a matter of fact some are
"DLG praemiert". Well, thanks for your information. The search continues.......
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:56 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
When I googled "lufthansa potato salad recipe" I found this at the top of the page.

http://www.whats4eats.com/salads/kartoffelsalat-recipe
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
When I googled "lufthansa potato salad recipe" I found this at the top of the page.

http://www.whats4eats.com/salads/kartoffelsalat-recipe
Don't know why you are confused. That recipe is a generic recipe and does not taste like the
Lufthansa offering. As I said the search goes on and I am hopeful that eventually I will get
close to it. Thanks for your efforts, though.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Don't know why you are confused. That recipe is a generic recipe and does not taste like the
Lufthansa offering. As I said the search goes on and I am hopeful that eventually I will get
I was confused because the resulting page does not mention 'lufthansa' anywhere despite the search words used.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
LH C/SEN lounge potato salad is defintely not the worst I have ever eaten in terms of generic, large-batch potato salad probably bought in buckets from wholsale. But: Many Germans I know would consider it fairly average and could provide you with a recipe of a potato salad they consider superior.

If you really want to go for the LH-style potato salad, which is similar to traditional potato salad that calls some regions of Southern Germany home, try this: Mix a bit of vinegar essence (https://www.amazon.com/Surig-Vinegar.../dp/B000NY6QJC, it has a fairly neutral taste) with at least twice as much water, some oil, very finely chopped onions, some salt, some sugar, and some yellow mustard. Pour over sliced, luke-warm potatoes and wait for at least 30 minutes before serving, to give the ingredients a chance to get "married". Sprinkle with chopped chives, if you like. Enjoy!

BTW, they sometimes do serve Frankfurters in LH lounges, just not too often.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
I was confused because the resulting page does not mention 'lufthansa' anywhere despite the search words used.
Now I understand. When I search for "lufthansa potato salad recipe" Google returns 1. Lufthansa.com and 2. Kartoffelsalat Recipe. If I search for "lufthansa lounge potato salad recipe" I get the same.
Either way as I said the search continues. For FFers that can use the FRA and MUC lounges they are lucky. Unfortunately I am there 2, maybe three times a year only.

Oh well, onward I must go. The quest continues.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldclubber
LH C/SEN lounge potato salad is defintely not the worst I have ever eaten in terms of generic, large-batch potato salad probably bought in buckets from wholsale. But: Many Germans I know would consider it fairly average and could provide you with a recipe of a potato salad they consider superior.

If you really want to go for the LH-style potato salad, which is similar to traditional potato salad that calls some regions of Southern Germany home, try this: Mix a bit of vinegar essence (https://www.amazon.com/Surig-Vinegar.../dp/B000NY6QJC, it has a fairly neutral taste) with at least twice as much water, some oil, very finely chopped onions, some salt, some sugar, and some yellow mustard. Pour over sliced, luke-warm potatoes and wait for at least 30 minutes before serving, to give the ingredients a chance to get "married". Sprinkle with chopped chives, if you like. Enjoy!

BTW, they sometimes do serve Frankfurters in LH lounges, just not too often.

Thanks, I will try this over the weekend. Sounds promising.

I really appreciate each and every post in response to my question. Thanks a lot. Now back into the kitchen.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 5:16 pm

Now I understand. When I search for "lufthansa potato salad recipe" Google returns 1. Lufthansa.com and 2. Kartoffelsalat Recipe. If I search for "lufthansa lounge potato salad recipe" I get the same.
Interesting...

When I search for "lufthansa potato salad recipe" I get:
1. The recipe I mentioned in post #4
2. Twitter dialogue quoted in post #2
3. This FT thread
4. Another potato salad recipe
5. Yet another potato salad recipe
6. Lufthansa brings a taste of the 'big easy' to premium passengers with its new star chef (PDF file of press release from August 2009)
7. Another potato salad recipe from BBC

Only 2, 3 and 6 mention Lufthansa.

A search for "lufthansa lounge potato salad recipe" finds a slightly different set of results.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:49 am

Thanks, I will try this over the weekend. Sounds promising.
I will be in LH C/SEN lounges tomorrow and on Friday and will check whether the recipe provided above needs to be amended based on the actual taste of the potato salad there. My memory may be slightly off, as I have avoided the potato salad and Leberkaese in lounges for a while.

If you would like, I can also provide more detailed measurements for salt, sugar, vinegar, etc., if you tell me the weight of the cooked potatoes you would like to use.

Just to make sure: You mean the potato salad in C/SEN-lounges, right? Because the potato salad served with the schnitzels in the F-lounges, as it is probably made on the premises, is less uniform and somewhat different between FRA and MUC (much better in the latter).
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The potato salad in the FRA/MUC lounges comes from a bucket that can be bought at any metro wholesale store for 10€/5KG bucket: https://www.metro.de/cat/de/products...96l-5-kg-Eimer
I once was shown the bucket in 2010 when asking the staff if the salad contained any egg (my son is allergic to eggs). I'm not 100% sure it was Horeca though.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The potato salad in the FRA/MUC lounges comes from a bucket that can be bought at any metro wholesale store for 10€/5KG bucket: https://www.metro.de/cat/de/products...96l-5-kg-Eimer
I once was shown the bucket in 2010 when asking the staff if the salad contained any egg (my son is allergic to eggs). I'm not 100% sure it was Horeca though.
That's what I suspected.

And I was going to do the same thing tomorrow to get closer to the recipy for our fellow FT-member: Asking for the list of ingredients, if necessary referring to an allergy.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
That is amazing news. ( at least for me ). No way I could get this back into Japan, even if I had a Metro pass.

Will try "worldclubber"'s recipe today and report back.

In FRA end of the month but flying JL, so no access to the LH Senator lounge. That is unless they let me in being *G or with a UA paid membership card, flying JL C.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:04 pm

That is amazing news. ( at least for me ). No way I could get this back into Japan, even if I had a Metro pass.
I'm flying to Tokyo via MUC next week and could try and smuggle some in my hand luggage. However, I plan to spend my layover in MUC in the FCL, so the quality may not be the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.