Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

How to purchase LH lounge access in MUC, and which lounge should we go to?

How to purchase LH lounge access in MUC, and which lounge should we go to?

Reply

Old Mar 29, 17, 8:29 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K 0.5MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Posts: 901
How to purchase LH lounge access in MUC, and which lounge should we go to?

Hello,

My girlfriend and I and both of our mothers will be traveling through MUC in early June. I will be able to access the lounge and get 1 other guest in, but that still leaves 2 people in our group without access. Is it possible to buy access into a lounge if I can't find someone else who can guest them in? I'm going to post in the M&M Lounge Meeting thread, but I'm not sure if I'll find anyone who can help. Anyway, if I want to buy a couple passes, how do we do that? I found a website that describes that it's possible to buy lounge access, but it doesn't go into much detail as to how (or if) Star Alliance Gold members can do it. Do we just buy access at the lounge, or does it have to be done ahead of time?

Also, which lounge should we go to? We'll be flying to another Schengen airport, which I believe leaves from T2. According to the Star Alliance Lounge Finder website, there are 7 lounges (on the G, H, L, and K levels/gates) that I can access for our flight. Some are Business lounges, and some are Senator lounges. Which would you recommend, and why?

Thanks for the help!
mpiotrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 11:50 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NUE,MUC,INN,FDH
Programs: QF (WP, LTG), LH (SEN** till 02/20), AB-G, AF, AA
Posts: 2,029
SEN Lounges are better.
MUC has nice Restaurants with propper food and drinks. LH offers additional gueste for their members. I do not know if ot is possible for other *Golds.
Tyrolean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 12:07 pm
  #3  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 26,792
The lounges in the T2 Satellite (K and L gate areas) are nicer than those in the old T2. Unfortunately only M&M's own status customers can buy lounge access for additional guests.
NewbieRunner is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 12:11 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K 0.5MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Posts: 901
Thanks for the help! I guess I'll just have to post in the M&M Lounge Meeting thread and hope that someone will be able to help out. What are the rules for guests...do they have to be on the same flight as the member, or does it just have to be on any Star Alliance flight?
mpiotrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 12:32 pm
  #5  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 26,792
Originally Posted by mpiotrow View Post
Thanks for the help! I guess I'll just have to post in the M&M Lounge Meeting thread and hope that someone will be able to help out. What are the rules for guests...do they have to be on the same flight as the member, or does it just have to be on any Star Alliance flight?
They only need to be on a departing Star Alliance flight but strictly speaking they must leave the lounge at the same time or before the host who invites them.

I don't know how long your layover is but there is a nice food court in the center of T2 Satellite Level K (Schengen) if you cannot all get into a lounge.
NewbieRunner is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 12:36 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K 0.5MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
I don't know how long your layover is but there is a nice food court in the center of T2 Satellite Level K (Schengen) if you cannot all get into a lounge.
We actually have a 9 hour layover, so we are planning on taking the train into the city to walk around for a few hours, have lunch, etc. We may just have to plan to not visit the lounge once we return to the airport if we can't get everyone in.
mpiotrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 12:47 pm
  #7  
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 150km from MAN
Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Posts: 26,792
Originally Posted by mpiotrow View Post
We actually have a 9 hour layover, so we are planning on taking the train into the city to walk around for a few hours, have lunch, etc. We may just have to plan to not visit the lounge once we return to the airport if we can't get everyone in.
There are also good places to spend an hour or two landside (e.g. Airbräu) if you get back to the airport early.
NewbieRunner is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 12:56 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,276
With nine hours to play with, I would forget the lounge idea completely. You can be in the city fairly swiftly and have a really nice meal, walk around, do some sightseeing and shopping, etc, rather than sitting in a lounge with average food and drink. Don't get me wrong, the MUC SEN lounges are nice, but not nine hours nice. I would go crazy without fresh air for so long. Check out the many Munich threads.
LondonElite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 1:27 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K 0.5MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
With nine hours to play with, I would forget the lounge idea completely. You can be in the city fairly swiftly and have a really nice meal, walk around, do some sightseeing and shopping, etc, rather than sitting in a lounge with average food and drink. Don't get me wrong, the MUC SEN lounges are nice, but not nine hours nice. I would go crazy without fresh air for so long. Check out the many Munich threads.
We've been to Munich before, so we're pretty familiar with it. We'll definitely be eating, sightseeing, etc. We were just hoping to be able to pop into the lounge quickly once we get back to the airport, not that we would head back early *JUST* to go to the lounge. We're planning on getting back to the airport about 2 hours before our flight, just in case, and that would probably give us at least 45-60 mins in a lounge if all goes well.
mpiotrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 17, 1:36 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,276
I suspect Airbräu is your answer!
LondonElite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 17, 1:19 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: EK Gold; UA *G; BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
I suspect Airbräu is your answer!
As a Munich born German I can confirm this - Airbraeu is a must visit if you travel via Munich and have time.

The food is as good (mostly IMHO even better) than in a Wirtshaus in the center and the beer with 2,70 EUR for 0,5l Weissbier is cheaper than in any other location (and don't forget you are at an airport).

If you like to get good food in the city and you are keen to avoid to eat with Chinese tourists only, check out

http://www.augustiner-klosterwirt.de/cms/

which is next to Frauenkirche (so very central) and my favourite as a Munich born guy.

Cheers Daniel
Duck1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 17, 8:31 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K 0.5MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
As a Munich born German I can confirm this - Airbraeu is a must visit if you travel via Munich and have time.

The food is as good (mostly IMHO even better) than in a Wirtshaus in the center and the beer with 2,70 EUR for 0,5l Weissbier is cheaper than in any other location (and don't forget you are at an airport).

If you like to get good food in the city and you are keen to avoid to eat with Chinese tourists only, check out

http://www.augustiner-klosterwirt.de/cms/

which is next to Frauenkirche (so very central) and my favourite as a Munich born guy.

Cheers Daniel
Thanks Daniel, good to hear your recommendations for the Airbrau and Augustiner Klosterwirt. We'll have to make sure to eat/drink at both of those places because we have not been there before! Does Augustiner Klosterwirt have an English menu in the restaurant? I couldn't find one online, and unfortunately I can only recognize a few German food items...haha.

We went to Zum Augustiner last year...being Munich born, what do you think of that compared to Augustiner Klosterwirt?

Thanks again!
mpiotrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 17, 1:17 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,276
Pretty much every beer hall in Munich has an English menu!
LondonElite is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 17, 2:59 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Programs: EK Gold; UA *G; BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 226
Originally Posted by mpiotrow View Post
Thanks Daniel, good to hear your recommendations for the Airbrau and Augustiner Klosterwirt. We'll have to make sure to eat/drink at both of those places because we have not been there before! Does Augustiner Klosterwirt have an English menu in the restaurant? I couldn't find one online, and unfortunately I can only recognize a few German food items...haha.

We went to Zum Augustiner last year...being Munich born, what do you think of that compared to Augustiner Klosterwirt?

Thanks again!
http://www.augustiner-klosterwirt.de.../english-meals

I hope that helps!

I think I've been to Augustiner only once in my life - beer is good but too many tourists

The Klosterwirt is next to Frauenkirche but in a smaller street so I think it will be the better choice. Also prices are very reasonable for central Munich standards.

Enjoy
Duck1981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 17, 3:06 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: DEN
Programs: UA 1K 0.5MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
http://www.augustiner-klosterwirt.de.../english-meals

I hope that helps!

I think I've been to Augustiner only once in my life - beer is good but too many tourists

The Klosterwirt is next to Frauenkirche but in a smaller street so I think it will be the better choice. Also prices are very reasonable for central Munich standards.

Enjoy
hahaha...I don't know how I missed the "International Menus" link on that page. Oops! Anyway, thanks for the info...the Klosterwirt is definitely on the list of places to visit while we're there! Prost!
mpiotrow is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread