Overbooked flight message at OLCI

Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Overbooked flight message at OLCI

Checking in a pal of mine tomorrow, no status.

I've never seen this before, I guess as it doesn't target "premium pax".

Impressive IT.

If he arrives three hours later, that's 250 right?

Will they try to fob off with 125/150? I have told him, if it is "goodwill no liability" then take it, and sue later for 250 EUR further.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
One has to hope they wouldn’t target status pax but that would rely on LH IT being fit for purpose...

Volunteering, is ok if the pax reasonably assumes LH would want to pay the EU compensation value
hugolover and lhrpete like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't presume anything. Call and ask. If the amount on offer is satisfactory, all is well. If not, forget it.

EC 261/2004 will not apply as LH makes it clear --- twice no less -- that this is voluntary.

On the other hand, LH may offer more by way of a voucher than it would pay in cash under the Regulation. That is a great deal for regular fliers and not so good for those who have no use for the voucher.

All pointing to calling.
DiamondMile and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Don't presume anything. Call and ask. If the amount on offer is satisfactory, all is well. If not, forget it.
Sadly the competence of the call staff at LH is extremely variable but yes if they come up with an acceptable offer ^
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Calling won't help. Ask at the airport the flight manager will have notes in the flight details. The offer are always cash equivalent and match 261/04 requirements.
hugolover and chris63 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Its a FRA departure, so at the gate there will be such a manager?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last week at FRA my FRA-WAW flight was overbooked and the gate agent was offering 200 Euros and a reroute. Didn't hang around to see what ultimately happened.
hugolover likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
If it helps, I am holding senator status and they never asked me this... when I was travelling with my family on separate bookings, Kids M/M and my wife FTL on a separate booking they got the offer.... just for into...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The offer are always cash equivalent and match 261/04 requirements.
But aren't those requirements for involuntary denied boardings?

The way I read this prompt, LH tries to get somebody to "voluntarily" not take their booked flight, thus opening the door for lower compensation?
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Nope, LH scrapped the two tier system some years ago. Earlier they were offering double the required (invol) amount to volunteers in form of a voucher for use on LH. Now its the same amount as invol and usually take it or leave it. The amount is only raised if they can't find volunteers. In FRA/MUC the FM looks at the situation and issues standing instructions that the gate/checkin/lounge agent can see when they pull up your details in Altea. If no volunteers are found the FM (who handles a few regional flights at a time) comes to the gate and helps out to make decisions (eg offloading or upgrading or offering more cash).
chris63 and airoli like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: M&M FTL (*Silver), KLM/AF blue
This seems to make no sense... If you have to go your orginal flight anyway, then they can just ask for volunteers at thte gate. This pop up makes only sense if they would proactively people to rebook their flights before they come to the airport. That would be a win-win. But the bean counters combine with the world class IT and here you get meaning less pop ups....
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, I wish I could report what happened but I can’t. Inbound was delayed, security a nightmare and he got rebooked anyway!
chris63 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

^
Originally Posted by hugolover
Well, I wish I could report what happened but I can’t. Inbound was delayed, security a nightmare and he got rebooked anyway!
You just did

FRA strikes again .

FRA is currently assisting pax to have more time on the ground, so they can get food & beverage
Dover2Golf and hugolover like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
Most of the oversell situation solves itself that way...
chris63 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:54 am

I received the message for a flight to US last Tuesday. I volunteered, but not needed in the end. I think this is a good idea - LH is required to ask for volunteers before involuntary denying boarding passengers and using the app they can ask more people (as personally I prefer to only go to the gate after boarding has started).

When you check in (in the app or at the check-.in terminals in the airport) for a flight on Delta that is overbooked they even ask the minimum compensation you would take.
hugolover likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.