Cathay Pacific Airways and Lufthansa Group agree cooperation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Cathay Pacific Airways and Lufthansa Group agree cooperation

I haven't seen this here so far ...

From the LH Newsroom

I am wondering what this will mean in detail in the time to come.
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
        Strange agreement, considering that Singapore Airlines has very similar destinations to Cathay Pacific, and British Airways serves many/most of the intra European cities Lufthansa does.
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
        Air Canada entered into a similar deal a few months ago for AC flight connections to Cathay flights from HKG to destinations in SE Asia and for Cathay to connect with AC flights in Canada.
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:53 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
        wondering what exactly would "frequent flyer agreement" mean?
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
        I would be particularly interested to know what "frequent flyer agreement" means. Considering that in *A metal counts, I am confused. I believe it was already possible to book some ex-Australia fares, in particular the famous mini RTW, with sector(s) on CX. See https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...file_92562.pdf. While this document is not current, I believe the fares still do exist.
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
        wondering what exactly would "frequent flyer agreement" mean?
        Maybe something similar to the CX/NZ partnership, where NZ elites get perks even on CX metal (but not other *G).
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:56 am

Half a year ago I flew HAM to BNE with a LX and C. Was a bit confused but the LX FA on the first flight said they have a longstanding agreement for these kind of destinations. So why not with LH? I guess the deal will maintain exclusivity on competitive routes and only be used for the ones which are not reachable for LH right now.
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:02 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
        I think it will be possible to collect M&M miles on the onward CX codeshares (LH numbers operated by CX) to Auckland, Cairns and Sydney. Same for Asia Miles (Marco Polo?) members collecting miles on the European LH codeshares (CX numbers operated by LH). That's what Raffles blog over at headforpoints said this morning.

Cathay must be desperate for some partners who provide real service, given the debacle over at BA where there seems to be a daily series of scandals and complaints at the moment.
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
        These alliances with CX and EY confirm the point of Spohr that the future of flying will be not restricted by FFP and alliance loyalty.
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:21 pm
        Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
        I think it will be possible to collect M&M miles on the onward CX codeshares (LH numbers operated by CX) to Auckland, Cairns and Sydney.
        .. but certainly no lounge access based on Star Alliance status in HKG if departing on CX.
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:33 pm
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
        Ha! That's a downer. However, I think the whole conventional alliance thing is on the verge of becoming a concept from the past. Shame, I found it quite useful so far.
        Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
        .. but certainly no lounge access based on Star Alliance status in HKG if departing on CX.
        Again, not generic *G but SEN and up will probably have all the perks, if the NZ model will apply.
        Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:27 am

Any updates if LH group first and business class passengers can use CX lounges at HKG airport ?
        Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:33 am
        Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
        Any updates if LH group first and business class passengers can use CX lounges at HKG airport ?
        If you are on a through C or F ticket from Europe to Aussie/Kiwi I would guess you can access the lounge based on a oneworld Business Class departure boarding pass.

I am aware of some codeshares between LX and CX (mainly to Taiwan), however, I've not heard about reciprocal lounge benefits based on status.
        Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
        Originally Posted by vbroucek
        I would be particularly interested to know what "frequent flyer agreement" means. Considering that in *A metal counts, I am confused. I believe it was already possible to book some ex-Australia fares, in particular the famous mini RTW, with sector(s) on CX. See https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...file_92562.pdf. While this document is not current, I believe the fares still do exist.
        This is correct, you've been able to book CX-LH from Australia to Europe for quite some time already, the only change now is that you'll be able to do this on LH flight numbers and earn Award Miles (and likewise, Asia Miles on CX flight numbers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.