Search

? Renewable energy/fuel at Lufthansa

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:17 am
gum
Original Poster

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
? Renewable energy/fuel at Lufthansa

The headline nearly says it all: I am just curious if Lufty is nowadays using renewable energy/fuel for the propulsion of their aircrafts.

According to my memory the only one a/c type was an A321-100 shuttling between FRA and HAM.

This page of the website of the airline stops at the year 2014 (with a press release dated 9/15/2014). And just says that there are activities:
https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/re...lufthansa.html

Does anyone know more? Is a mixture of classic jet fuel with some renewable ingredients the aim?

Has biofuel worked with the A321 or was some kind of early wear and tear of the engines?

With even the German train operator "Deutsche Bahn" talking about "Ökostrom" it would be fine to know what happens with Lufty's engines.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
The following doesn't provide concrete answers to your questions, but it provides some possibly interesting background info to others.

This presentation outlines The European Flightpath Initiative, a vision of the intended way forward for biofuel use in European aviation.CORE JetFuel Conference, Brussels, 16 Jun 2016 - The European Flightpath Initiative - presentation

Other related links from 2013-2016
Lufthansa under fire with palm oil allegations
Lufthansa continuing aviation biofuel program despite low oil prices
KLM and Lufthansa sign long-term agreements with US sustainable biofuel producers AltAir and Gevo
Gevo Signs Heads of Agreement with Lufthansa for Commercial Supply of Renewable Jet Fuel

Last edited by Grog; Mar 21, 2017 at 6:24 am
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:30 am
gum
Original Poster

Thank you for the links, Grog!

Interesting literature and I am also able to improve my language skills as non-native speaker of English.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:45 am

THe published results of the LH long term trial are also a very interesting read... unfortunately only available in German:

http://aireg.de/images/downloads/Abschlussbericht_BurnFAIR.pdf

They report a 1% reduction in burn rate (due to the higher energy in the biomass fuel) and less wear on the fuel pumps.

The huge issue seems to be how to produce the biomass fuel and harmonize the sourcing and distribution.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 5:07 am
gum
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
THe published results of the LH long term trial are also a very interesting read... unfortunately only available in German:

http://aireg.de/images/downloads/Abs...t_BurnFAIR.pdf

They report a 1% reduction in burn rate (due to the higher energy in the biomass fuel) and less wear on the fuel pumps.

The huge issue seems to be how to produce the biomass fuel and harmonize the sourcing and distribution.
Very impressive link, thanks! Will post some ideas respectively my personal summarization of that document nex week.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:30 am
gum
Original Poster

An interesting comprehensive document

Thanks again, fassy, and Grog for the links.

These enabled me to get a nearly full picture of the opportunity to use biofuel for jet enginges.

I promised to give you feedback with a summarization of the epic document describing the different fuel types and the impact on the engines and the aicraft.

On page 5 there is a great paragraph summarizing it well:
Das Verhalten des Triebwerks wurde während der Biokerosinflüge laufend per Engine Condition Monitoring überprüft. Nach Abschluss des Flugprogramms wurden die Triebwerke boroskopisch untersucht und die treibstoffführenden Teile des Flugzeugs ausgebaut und
überprüft. Als einzige auf das Biokerosin zurückzuführende Besonderheit wurde ein reduzierter Materialverschleiß an Teilen der Treibstoffpumpe festgestellt, was aber eine Verbesserung gegenüber der Standardsituation darstellt, und daher unproblematisch ist. Negative auf
das Biokerosin zurückzuführende Auffälligkeiten wurden nicht festgestellt.
My translation to English (sorry if it is not a five star translation):
The behavior of the [jet] engine has been continuousely monitored during the biokerosene flights by the means of the engine condition monitoring. After the completion of the flight programme the engines have been inspected borescopic and the fuel transporting parts of the aircraft have been disassembled and inspected. The only particularity which can be traced back to biokerosene was a reduced (!) material wear an parts of the fuel pump. However this is an improvement compared to the standard situation and therefore uncomplicated. Negative consequences which could be ascribed to biokerosene haven’t been detected.
Besides the details which plant or cultivation method is best it is crystal clear that Lufty is not depending on fossil fuels alone. That said: An increase in oil prices could trigger additional investments in new "green" fuel.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
To be honest, I believe (and do not take me too seriously, after all I am expert in computer security and forensics, not in biofuel etc.) that it is much more difficult in reality than in the research... It is the same as with battery powered cars - they do not create as much pollution while driving them, but so far, no one knows what to do with those batteries after they stop working. AFAIK, the used batteries are bigger environmental hazards than the fuel used in normal combustion engines... And, AFAIK, even manufacturing those batteries creates huge amount of environmental pollution...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.