IDB/forced downgrade compensation?

Old Jan 3, 17, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Location: San Juan, PR; Zug/Zurich, CH; Paris, FR; Berlin, DE; Kharkiv, UA; Seattle, WA; SFBA
Programs: MR AMB/LT T, AS MVPG75K, TK ElitePlus/*G, IC AMB/Spire, HH D, CET TR DIA, Sixt Plt, NTL EE, Hz PC
IDB/forced downgrade compensation?

As part of an Air Canada $1800 business class YVR-YYZ-CDG TXL-FRA-JFK I was supposed to be on an A330 for FRA-JFK yesterday. At the check in area, an agent found me and asked or told me (it was unclear) that I could/should/would get EUR 1000 to be downgraded to Premium Exonomy. I said I didn't mind, but then said "while I'd like to help, I should pretend to be unhappy to negotiate, right?" -- I was hoping to get +inf miles instead of cash or something. Turns out they also were willing to give me a flight the next morning on a 747-800 in upper deck C, a night at Sheraton (which got upgraded due to being apt platinum ambassador status), and EUR 600. This saved me USD 180 in hotel costs in NYC on a day where I didn't really have anything scheduled. I rented a car for cheap and had fun in Frankfurt overnight, so I can't complain at all; currently over the Atlantic.

My questions:
1) What kind of downgrade comp is typical for C to E+? EUR 1000 is a lot on my fare, but if I'd paid full fare C, it would be a pittance. Could I have gotten more or different? I know EU IDB is EUR 600 (not scaled for class of service is weird), but I don't know what the rules are for involuntary downgrades (I typically fly Econ and then upgrade, vs. ticketed premium, so it has never happened to me before.)

2) Did she single me out due to lack of status (UA 3P/*S), being a solo traveler, having a US passport and also visa free access to Germany, because I looked friendly, or just because? She had my name on a list but I couldn't tell if it was because she looked me up after introducing herself.

3) I got SSSS'd today; that is likely purely because of the last minute rebook from IDB and not due to recent travel to Russia/Ukraine/Turkey or being on yet another secret list? If so that is a really dumb input signal, unless the SSSS decision is just completely ignorant of why a new ticket was issued.

Pretty happy with how things worked out. LH C hard product isn't as amazing as I'd hoped vs old LH C (mainly the seat being rather hard, and the legrest being small), even compared to AC and UA. Soft product, plus internet (not sure if internet counts as soft or hard, since it is a straightforward refit with a service component) is wonderful, though.
Old Jan 3, 17, 5:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH used to pay 4000 or 1600 for F->C or C->Y downgrades. EU261/04 mandates 75% of the coupon value of the segment, which was usually lower than 4000 or 1600.

Since November the rates have been adjusted. F->C downgrades get 4000/2000/1000 if they were booked in F/A/O.

Since PE(E) is now on all longhaul flights (except the one Privatair 737), the C->E downgrade gets 1000, C->Y still gets 1600.

Agents usually look for volunteers first, experience tells them who to look for

SSS is common for last minute full fare oneways.
Old Nov 6, 17, 4:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF gold, HHdiamond
what is your experience regarding the above compensation rates for IDG's ? do you see the same compensations also in case travelling with award ticker I -> E or E -> X ?

Is LH stuck with the listed rates or do you see negotiations possible with gate agent to get more money as they are in needs of your seats :-) ?
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:45 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
No first hand experience, but I doubt travelling on award ticket has any bearing on the compensation amount. Secondly, I doubt that agents have leeway to grant a higher compensation than instructed by LH.

I would be happy to accept a EUR 1,000 comp. for a downgrade from I to PE when on an award ticket and travelling on my own dime; I would also accept the EUR 1,600 comp. for a downgrade to Y. I consider that a fair remuneration for giving up your C seat.
Old Jan 11, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold
Smile Downgrade Compensation Updates ?

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
LH used to pay 4000 or 1600 for F->C or C->Y downgrades. EU261/04 mandates 75% of the coupon value of the segment, which was usually lower than 4000 or 1600.

Since November the rates have been adjusted. F->C downgrades get 4000/2000/1000 if they were booked in F/A/O.

Since PE(E) is now on all longhaul flights (except the one Privatair 737), the C->E downgrade gets 1000, C->Y still gets 1600.

Agents usually look for volunteers first, experience tells them who to look for

SSS is common for last minute full fare oneways.
Oh wise LH Flyertalkers,

I am booked in P Class on OS IAD-VIE on 1/13/19. I called OS USA Call Center last night and asked for a seat assignment and got 1A. I checked Expertflyer this morning and all Business Class Buckets are Zero'd out for this flight. Checked the LH and OS Websites and neither shows any availability in Business Class for this flight. The night before J and C buckets showed 6 on Expertflyer.

1. What could have caused such a radical change in Business Class Availability on OS 94 on 1/13/19 ?
2. Does OS generally follow the same Downgrade Compensation Schemes as Lufthansa in (i.e. Euros 1000 C to PE and 1600 C to Y ) ?

Your replies and insights are appreciated.
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:23 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Dont worry, highly unlikely that you will be downgraded. Just because the flight is sold out it doesn't mean that downgrades will be necessary. It happens very rarely.
Old Jan 11, 19, 11:39 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by gpicur View Post
Oh wise LH Flyertalkers,

I am booked in P Class on OS IAD-VIE on 1/13/19. I called OS USA Call Center last night and asked for a seat assignment and got 1A. I checked Expertflyer this morning and all Business Class Buckets are Zero'd out for this flight. Checked the LH and OS Websites and neither shows any availability in Business Class for this flight. The night before J and C buckets showed 6 on Expertflyer.

1. What could have caused such a radical change in Business Class Availability on OS 94 on 1/13/19 ?
2. Does OS generally follow the same Downgrade Compensation Schemes as Lufthansa in (i.e. Euros 1000 C to PE and 1600 C to Y ) ?

Your replies and insights are appreciated.
FRA airport security workers has announced a strike for 1/15 so there may be passengers flying out early and there were strikes a few days ago at other German airports so there may be a number of passengers changing to other carriers and dates.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: