FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   First time in First (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1812340-first-time-first.html)

IB6825 Jan 2, 17 2:44 pm

First time in First
 
Hello everyone

I am aware that there are already a few threads about how to maximise the First Class experience but I would still like to get your thoughts about a few things I am not so sure yet.

I am booked on the following flights:

LH1197 ZRH - FRA 18:35h - 19:35h (C)
LH572 FRA - JNB 22:00 - 09:30h (F)
SA327 JNB - CPT 11:00 -13:05h (C)

LH573 JNB - FRA 19:40h - 05:20h (F)
LH1184 FRA - ZRH 08:30 - 09:25h (C)

The flight to JNB - CPT is on a separate fully flexible ticket. Can LX still check my bags all the way through to CPT? I know they probably can but do they do it without an issue? Checking the bags all the way through might help to make the 90 minute connection in JNB. I know that I need to collect the bags in JNB and clear customs but if they are already labelled it might help a little bit.

I would also like to check out the new FCL in Terminal E in Zurich.
Am I correct that going to the FCL in E is no problem at all even though the flight to FRA probably leaves from the A gates? And am I correct that if I ask nicely at the FCL A they might even drive me to the FCL E or should I not bother and just take the train?

Can I assume that LH1197 departs and arrives in ZRH and FRA from a gate position with a jet bridge? So there won't be a limousine transfer to and from the airplane neither in Zurich nor in Frankfurt?

LH told me that I will also get a car transfer from the FCL in Terminal B at Frankfurt to the gate for the flight to Johannesburg. Is this always the case? Or would you still rather exit Frankfurt and walk over to the FCT? Especially since I have never been to the FCT before. I guess 2 hours and 25 minutes should be more than enough time to make it to the FCT and spend some time there. On the other hand I have got around 3 hours to spend in Frankfurt on the return leg. If I definitely get a car transfer from the FCL B to the gate for the flight to JNB I somehow quite like the idea of using the FCL for the flight to JNB and then make use of the FCT on the return leg. Or would anyone of you just use the FCT for both connections? Since the FCT is meant only for passengers departing from Frankfurt is there something I have to consider? Do I just need to show my first boarding pass and they will let me use the FCT?

Thanks

daumueller Jan 2, 17 3:00 pm

LX can and probably will check your bags through

you are correct on the lounge in ZRH and on the limo on arrival at a gate

LH will drive you from FCL B only, if your flight is from Z or C. If it's from B, you walk.

Madone59 Jan 2, 17 4:05 pm


Originally Posted by IB6825 (Post 27693590)
I somehow quite like the idea of using the FCL for the flight to JNB and then make use of the FCT on the return leg. Or would anyone of you just use the FCT for both connections? Since the FCT is meant only for passengers departing from Frankfurt is there something I have to consider? Do I just need to show my first boarding pass and they will let me use the FCT?

Thanks

I encourage you to Check out the FCL once, especially if you like looking at the planes. The FCT has zero view. When you chose to head to the FCT, walk over there and present your F ticket - they will let you in. I have arrive LH F and departed intraEU LH C and they have let me in.

Enjoy ^

mevr Jan 3, 17 1:06 am

Your connection is a little tight for you to leave the Terminal and walk to the FCT, where you'd get better services and limo transfer. You wouldn't spend more than 20 min in there I think.

daumueller Jan 3, 17 4:26 am


Originally Posted by thbe (Post 27696239)
If you've never been at the FCT, then you should check it out on your flight to JNB.

On your return flight you won't get access to the FCT unless you are a HON member, but you will get access to the FCL.

that is wrong - also when being SEN, I always got access to the FCT with an arriving F BP

Unterwegs Jan 3, 17 5:10 am

Your connection in JNB is extremely tight. Last time it took me more than one hour to clear immigration (arriving in F). I had a 2 hour connection and i barely made it. Worst case you will be on the next flight if they have space.

Anmd yes, you can use the FCT both ways with your ticket,

NewbieRunner Jan 3, 17 5:22 am


Originally Posted by mevr (Post 27695839)
Your connection is a little tight for you to leave the Terminal and walk to the FCT, where you'd get better services and limo transfer. You wouldn't spend more than 20 min in there I think.

:confused:

The OP should be able to spend about 2 hours in the FCT in each direction.

IB6825 Jan 3, 17 7:31 am


Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 27696361)
Your connection in JNB is extremely tight. Last time it took me more than one hour to clear immigration (arriving in F). I had a 2 hour connection and i barely made it. Worst case you will be on the next flight if they have space.

Anmd yes, you can use the FCT both ways with your ticket,

That is true. I have been to Johannesburg a few times and I know that the lines at immigration can be long. I thought being in F at least gets me ahead of most in Y and C. But of course that's of no help if there are a lot of other flights arriving at the same time. I have also booked the meet and greet service including tarmac transfer with Bidvest. AFAIK they can get you through immigration faster. Something the LH PA apparently cannot do. I am quite unsure now if I should rather change the flight to SA333 which would give us around 2h30 to connect instead of 1h30. But then again I believe that the chances are not too bad that there are 2 seats in full fare C available on the later flight in case we miss our connection.

malmostoso Jan 3, 17 10:00 am


Originally Posted by IB6825 (Post 27696813)
I have also booked the meet and greet service including tarmac transfer with Bidvest. AFAIK they can get you through immigration faster. Something the LH PA apparently cannot do. I am quite unsure now if I should rather change the flight to SA333 which would give us around 2h30 to connect instead of 1h30.

I have used bidvest earlier this year and it was very smooth, they got us straight past the queue and we managed to get through immigration in about 15 minutes.

Since you're in paid C on SA (and not express or airlink, right?) you'll have lounge access so changing to the later flight wouldn't be a bad move, but it's probably superfluous.

curt Jan 3, 17 5:14 pm


Originally Posted by mevr (Post 27695839)
Your connection is a little tight for you to leave the Terminal and walk to the FCT, where you'd get better services and limo transfer. You wouldn't spend more than 20 min in there I think.

Sory, but that's complete nonsense. Given on-time arrivals, there is plenty of time to go to the FCT.

dodgeflyer Jan 3, 17 5:35 pm

In SA you clear customs on first port, so you will need to collect luggage at JNB as you point out. There's a separate check-in desk just before you exit after customs. However, you will obviously need to check in within the required time, labels will buy you three minutes. It'll save you 10min walking around. I've arrived in JNB and cleared immigration within 2 minutes and usually no longer than 20min. However I've not done so after SA has moved to biometrics on arrival which I understand is causing some delays.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:49 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.