Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots go on strike! Not again... [Nov 2016 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
EC261 doesn't apply in the cases related to strikes.
Yes it does. Delay or cancellation compensation will not be given since LH will claim extraordinary circumstances but the duty of care elements are due to each and every passenger for the period of their delay. That can include accommodation, food, drink, communications and local transport as appropriate and required.

I don't want to be the one to test it, but the longer this goes on without settlement and sometimes with manoevering by LH which could be interpreted as provocative, I wonder if LH cannot at least in part be held to account.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: BA, CX, LH, WN
any update on the special flight plan for the 24th? i'm not able to get through any phone lines - i just gave up and planning to head to airport tomorrow and work it out there.

The FRA-SJC incoming flight is already in-flight, which means very high chance that the SJC-FRA will definitely go as per plan tomorrow. So I'll just have to get stranted in FRA and try my re-route chances from there? overall a very messed up situation and not the first time happening to LH and its unions..
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by techblr
any update on the special flight plan for the 24th? i'm not able to get through any phone lines - i just gave up and planning to head to airport tomorrow and work it out there.

The FRA-SJC incoming flight is already in-flight, which means very high chance that the SJC-FRA will definitely go as per plan tomorrow. So I'll just have to get stranted in FRA and try my re-route chances from there? overall a very messed up situation and not the first time happening to LH and its unions..
Special flight schedule is already there since 6:30am EST.
https://t.co/bxGfZx6A3v
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PilotChris
So, vantage03, see ya on LX40 in a few hours! That is, if our tight (35 min) connection in ZRH works out
I'm on board with you then! Glad you guys got on the flight and will get your Thanksgiving :-)
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
So I'll just have to get stranted in FRA and try my re-route chances from there? overall a very messed up situation and not the first time happening to LH and its unions..
correct!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:57 am

I don't want to get stranded in FRA on a busy holiday travel period and I cannot even go out of the airport because of visa issues.
In your position I would insist on getting rebooked through to Bangalore in San Jose Airport, before you get on the flight to Frankfurt.

There are no air-side hotels in Frankfurt, so if you cannot enter Germany and have to spend the night in the airport the best you can hope for is a camping bed.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:08 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by Nic33
I do not know the figures of savings that LH makes by using EW pilots in their cockpits. But as a regular LH passenger and pilot myself, I pay attention to the quality of the pilots who must indeed safely fly the big machine. Hence, I hate that LH saves bucks on pilots by hiring cheap EW pilots and would rather drink in a plastic cup in C if savings have to be made.
Get real!!! Piloting LH metal can not be much harder than piloting any other legacy carrier metal. Sackings are the way to proceed with that greedy bunch!

Stuck in Rome... Last time was stuck in SFO. I bet I know when the next strike will take place and will be stuck in AGP!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Yes it does. Delay or cancellation compensation will not be given since LH will claim extraordinary circumstances but the duty of care elements are due to each and every passenger for the period of their delay. That can include accommodation, food, drink, communications and local transport as appropriate and required.

I don't want to be the one to test it, but the longer this goes on without settlement and sometimes with manoevering by LH which could be interpreted as provocative, I wonder if LH cannot at least in part be held to account.
You are correct that duty of care applies, I should have been more clear. What won't apply are the cash compensation payments. I can see why it was excluded from the legislation, but I do think there are circumstances where it should apply.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:32 am

My DME - MUC just got canceled which means I won't make my MUC - DEN flight. Already used upgrades all the way home (will deal with that later) but got switched over to UA metal - not happy about it but at least I am still getting home.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:25 am

EXTENDED NOW THROUGH NOVEMBER 25 (Friday)....

so this is what labor terrorism looks like......

Last edited by LufthansaFlyer; Nov 23, 2016 at 10:32 am
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whew, a few months ago I almost booked MCO-FRA-BKK to leave today.😳😳
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
EXTENDED NOW THROUGH NOVEMBER 25 (Friday)....

so this is what labor terrorism looks like......
That is quite ok, I will just rebook my flight for a third time. I assume Lufthanse has had plenty of time by now to increase their staff at the call center...
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by gnargel
That is quite ok, I will just rebook my flight for a third time. I assume Lufthanse has had plenty of time by now to increase their staff at the call center...
And I'm sure you'll happily continue to book LH in the future
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
These kind of strikes happen much more frequently on weekdays than weekends..
Thanks! I hope you're right. Fingers crossed!
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by gnargel
Look at it this way, they'll know you on a first name basis.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.