Pilots go on strike! Not again... [Nov 2016 edition]

Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
Just checked in on United at IAH to FRA and ARN through EWR. FRA to ARN on LH. Not a word from United about ongoing flight to ARN which is cancelled and notified to me by email an hour ago... Descending into FRA will feel like spiraling into a black hole not knowing what to expect...

Are Lufthansa already working on rebooking people, or do they do it one by one as people are lining up tomorrow?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What's with the November 21st deadline for rebooking in the waiver? It seems unreasonable.
Where did you see the deadline for rebooking? The announcement simply says tickets must have been issued on/before 21 November 2016, i.e. before the strike was announced in order to be eligible for free re-booking.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sorry. Jet lag. I was reading it as "tickets must be reissued by...." although it's perfectly possible that someone purchased a ticket today and is unaware of the impending strike mess.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:04 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Lufthansa puts special flight schedule into effect for tomorrow (LH press release)

• 2,124 of around 3,000 scheduled flights of the Lufthansa Group will take place
  • passengers are requested to verify the status of their flight on LH.com
  • free hotline at 0800 850 60 70 (no charge from German landlines)
  • customers can rebook their flights free of charge in case of cancellation and switch to Deutsche Bahn for shorter distances
  • group airlines Eurowings, Lufthansa CityLine, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Air Dolomiti and Brussels Airlines are not affected by the strike
Elsewhere it is estimated 100,000 passengers will be affected by the strike.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Well, my Cityline AMS-MUC was indeed cancelled. All European phone numbers for Lufthansa just carrying a message saying forget it. Luckily I could rebook online to Air Dolomiti. Was pleasantly surprised that worked and hope it stays uncancelled too.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
They're canceling about 30% of their flights, although usually the long hauls are preserved while short haul service that goes several times a day is most at risk, although of course the carrier needs to have pilots that are qualified on the right aircraft report to work to follow this plan. In a sense, it's easier when FAs strike as they're normally cross trained and qualified on every aircraft in the fleet.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by gnargel
Well, if they could confirm that your thinking is correct, that would be much appreciated. The flight to Frankfurt is followed by a rather important First class flight to Mumbai...
But I still fail to see why they should, unless operational reasons affecting your previously made arrangements dictate otherwise. The aircraft operating today's evening flight to IST is smoothly en-route and it is painfully clear that it will not be going anywhere tomorrow because of the strike, meaning that your flight on the 24th should leave as scheduled. LH doesn't really have to confirm or disclose such details, as long as your booking remains unaffected by the current events.

G
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
But I still fail to see why they should, unless operational reasons affecting your previously made arrangements dictate otherwise. The aircraft operating today's evening flight to IST is smoothly en-route and it is painfully clear that it will not be going anywhere tomorrow because of the strike, meaning that your flight on the 24th should leave as scheduled. LH doesn't really have to confirm or disclose such details, as long as your booking remains unaffected by the current events.

G
We are getting a bit off topic here and I appreciate your input, but in my original post I started with stating "Neither the Dutch nor the US telephone numbers work. And they have not worked for several hours." I would have liked to be able to call them and ask them whether the outbound plane is indeed already in Istanbul before the start of the strike. If not, it is likely that my flight will be cancelled eventually and by that time it may be too late for me to make alternative arrangements.

In short: I know this strike was announced on quite short notice, but I still find it strange that calling them has been impossible (at least for me) for the past 9 hours....
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by gnargel
I still find it strange that calling them has been impossible (at least for me) for the past 9 hours....
I'm with you on that one.

G
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Does anyone have any idea if these strikes are likely to occur on a regular basis? If so, how often are they likely to occur? Just wondering what potential risk I am facing for two flights next week, Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30. I know that none of you are likely to be in possession of a crystal ball, but you surely have more experience than I do with LH.
Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I'm fairly sure the strikes will be repeated but when, how often and for how long will not be predictable.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:10 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I finally got through on the US phone line this morning after about 2 hours of wait time (got hung up on, had to call again). During that time, I was able to get the website to offer rebooking options. What the LH website was offering wasn't going to get my husband home in a timely fashion, but the phone agent was very helpful in acommodating him on the desired AC flight.

What a mess! Everytime we fly Lufthansa, we end up dealing with some sort of strike or "threat" of strike.

Good luck to all of you still dealing with this.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
It looks like VC has announced that they are striking again for 24 hours on Thursday, the 24th.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by gusd
It looks like VC has announced that they are striking again for 24 hours on Thursday, the 24th.
Die Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) wird die Piloten bei Lufthansa auch fr Donnerstag, den 24.11.2016 in der Zeit von 00:01 Uhr bis 23:59 Uhr zum Streik aufrufen. Nachdem schon am Mittwoch fast 900 Flge seitens Lufthansa gestrichen wurden, sind auch diesmal wieder alle Lang- und Kurzstreckenverbindungen betroffen, die in dieser Zeit aus Deutschland abfliegen sollten.

Am heutigen Dienstag haben sowohl das Arbeitsgericht Frankfurt als auch das Hessische Landesarbeitsgericht den Streik der VC fr zulssig erklrt.

Die VC fordert nach mehr als fnfeinhalb Jahren ohne Vergtungserhhung eine durchschnittliche jhrliche Anpassung der Gehlter um 3,66%. Auch whrend der heutigen Gerichtsverfahren sahen sich die Vertreter der Arbeitgeberseite nicht in der Lage, verbesserte Angebote vorzulegen. Daher hat es das Lufthansa Management zu vertreten, dass die VC weitere Streikmanahmen durchfhren wird. so Jrg Handwerg, Mitglied des VC-Vorstandes.

Die VC bedauert die Auswirkungen auf die betroffenen Passagiere, Kabinenbesatzungen und Bodenmitarbeiter. Passagiere mgen sich hinsichtlich ihrer geplanten Flugverbindungen bitte direkt an Lufthansa wenden, da nicht alle Flge bei den Konzerntchtern bestreikt werden und nur das Unternehmen selbst sagen kann, welche Flge durchgefhrt werden.
http://www.vcockpit.de/presse/presse...thansa-an.html
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:00 pm

TV news is showing pilots in picket lines, I think starting shortly after midnight in Germany.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.