Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Polish new/cancelled/changed routes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
But why have Corfu only at the height of the summer season? Greek islands are ideal for the shoulder season. LO did the same with BEY (though that's not exactly a major tourist magnet)

LO had a disastrous performance during S18. If it starts to look like something similar is in the offing this year I'll probably stick with A3 for anything in Greece (nicer airline, better earnings, much better on-time record)
Their latest network strategy certainly doesn't strike me as being a model of efficiency, see also those weekly services which don't seem to make any sort of sense [and in fact they get cancelled soon after launch e.g. Turin or even those flights to Ukraine from the likes of Poznań and Bydgoszcz...]. As of their disastrous performance, it seems to be standard modus-operandi over the peak months (and as far as I can remember) hence I'm unable to see how the forthcoming summer season could be any different. It shouldn't affect me anyway this summer as LH/OS/JU will all provide valid transport alternatives for the trips over to HQ

G
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
those weekly services which don't seem to make any sort of sense [and in fact they get cancelled soon after launch e.g. Turin or even those flights to Ukraine from the likes of Poznań and Bydgoszcz...]
Bongiorno

about turin i can understand your point , iam curious to see the datas used during the market analysis which lead them to open this route

about the flights to ukraine from poznan or bydgoszcz its simply because of huge ukrainian diaspora , many enjoy flights who help them to avoid queues at borders (my record is 6h , but according to many people iam lucky cause you can spend whole night before crossing border) , or to transit by KBP or WAW

W6 and FR are starting (or started already) flights between ukrainian/polish cities other than kiev and warsaw , which allow pax to then reach their villages faster . Therefore sucking the traffic out of LO/PS hands
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not convinced that LOT have ever seriously hunted such low cost traffic (in PL terms). LOT fly E75s as far as Larnaca!

In other words, LOT have never really chased such pax, they tried a little after EU accession but the money just was never there.

They’re far too expensive for the majority of UA and PL diaspora. It can’t be overstated how price sensitive this group is.
AlicorporateUK and yurtripper like this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
I am not convinced that LOT have ever seriously hunted such low cost traffic (in PL terms). LOT fly E75s as far as Larnaca!

In other words, LOT have never really chased such pax, they tried a little after EU accession but the money just was never there.

They’re far too expensive for the majority of UA and PL diaspora. It can’t be overstated how price sensitive this group is.

Indeed. I just can’t imagine those Poznań/Bydgoszcz/Olsztyn-Lviv flights being source of decent(ish) yields, likewise I don’t see why LOT should focus on this or any other diaspora-generated traffic when surely those planes could fly to/from somewhere a tad more lucrative. But then again, I work in pharmaceuticals hence I can surely be excused for not seeing the logic(s) behind those services

G
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by hugolover

They’re far too expensive for the majority of UA and PL diaspora. It can’t be overstated how price sensitive this group is. (my emphasis)
Thank you for saying this. I said the same thing once in another thread and got my head bitten off for it.

I meet and know lots of people here whose income is far in excess of mine, people who are very high up the pecking order in banks and other private sector companies, and I feel like a lavish spendthrift in comparison to these guys just because I almost never fly the ULCCs. When a bank president virtually snorts out his coffee because you propose flying a full service carrier rather than Ryanair/Wizz for his skiing trip or his jaunt to Andalusia, or mention considering LO PE for a TATL rather than basic Y, it feels surreal. If I met people in equivalent positions in Russia (and I have) they'd laugh at me for suggesting anything other than J/F, thinking I was some guy who probably slept on a park bench.

It's often the same on holiday also. The senior director/exec from PL would go off to Sharm or Hurghada (when these places were still popular) on a full-board hotel with a charter flight, eat and drink only what the hotel provided throughout the stay, and then on the last day take a trip to the local market, where they'd spend an hour or more beating some poor souvenir hawker down to the lowest conceivable price, before heading back to PL having taken virtually no money out of their pocket for the entire stay (one guy even boasted about how he never even took his wallet because all the costs were covered!).

Compare that to the Russians, who would drink the place dry and then some, and spend like it was going out of fashion. One of my best friends (now sadly departed) worked as an Egyptian tour manager. He told me that after the bombing of the Russian flight from Sharm killed tourism, everyone was crying about the loss of revenue from Russians, but when it came to the Poles they hardly cared, since virtually none of their money ever left the hotel they were booked in.

Of course, the kind of people I refer to still drop silly money on conventional status symbols, like cars, but when it comes to air travel I can't overemphasis just how price-sensitive PL and UA seems to be, even for people who earn more in an afternoon than I do in a week. There's nothing wrong with wanting to save money, but I'm still amazed at how price-sensitive even the highest echelon of earners are when it comes to air travel.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
You're missing one important factor here. The middle-of-the-night regions-to-Lviv flights (and also routes like WAW-IEG) are subsidized ("advertising using aviation" tenders; Ryanair technique copied by LOT) by the regional and/or municipal administrations. It makes their otherwise useless airports look "alive", LOT gets cash, the passengers flying on these weird flights get a lot of free space, and taxpayers apparently don't really seem to care. So, everyone's happy.
iLied likes this.

Last edited by marcoos; Feb 9, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:50 am

Starting from September, LOT will launch 2 new services from Budapest, namely București/OTP and Bruxelles/BRU.

G
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Starting from September, LOT will launch 2 new services from Budapest, namely București/OTP and Bruxelles/BRU.

G
That's quite surprising. OTP seems a complete new found love (following the KRK-OTP service). And I didn't realize that currently there is no BRU service ex-BUD (just CRL from FR and W6)
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: LH Sen, Hilton Diamond
SN still flies BRU-BUD-BRU up to three times a day during the week
hugolover likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
New seasonal route to Sri Lanka, on a 787-9, November-March;
  • LO 069 WAW-CMB 15:35-05:10+1 Wed, Fri, Sun
  • LO 070 CMB-WAW 07:35-13:30 Mon, Thu, Sat
A regular route, not a charter.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:29 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by marcoos
New seasonal route to Sri Lanka, on a 787-9, November-March;
  • LO 069 WAW-CMB 15:35-05:10+1 Wed, Fri, Sun
  • LO 070 CMB-WAW 07:35-13:30 Mon, Thu, Sat
A regular route, not a charter.
High yield destination
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by TPJ
High yield destination
Hey, at least they put it at a reasonable time, for the peak season. I was half expecting they would offer it only for JUN-SEP!
Old Feb 23, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would they put the premium heavy 789-9 to CMB and keep 787-8 on SIN?

Its good for staff, gives them another way to get to Thailand and Indonesia. More then 10% of the load on SIN can be staff standby.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Now Air Belgium is operating for LOT:

N1003U likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The new WAW-DEL vv service is very nicely timed, didn't realise its a night flight...

tn01octwawdel/alo
TN01OCTWAWDEL/ALO
** AMADEUS TIMETABLE - TN ** DEL DELHI.INDL 01OCT19 08OCT19
1 LO 071 X14 WAW DEL 2240 0915+1 0 17SEP19 26OCT19 788 7:05
NO MORE FLIGHTS 01OCT19 TO 08OCT19

> tn01octdelwaw/alo
TN01OCTDELWAW/ALO
** AMADEUS TIMETABLE - TN ** WAW WARSAW.PL 01OCT19 08OCT19
1 LO 072 X25 DEL WAW 1115 1545 0 18SEP19 26OCT19 788 8:00
NO MORE FLIGHTS 01OCT19 TO 08OCT19

>

The inbound seem to be timed to hit the NYC/ORD/YYZ departures after 4.30pm.
N1003U likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.