Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Polish new/cancelled/changed routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Ha, I had not heard of it, I thought the Włoszczowa saga was a unique case
I don't think the Polish railway system will ever stop with such surprises. That being said, this current one is the local variant of 'fake news'.

Anywho, the PL-YYZ/ORD/NYC market is still quite dependent on the 'BzP' clientele that is willing to pay a premium to avoid FRA (or even WAW). Keep in mind, that premium isn't really that high, since the peak travel is summer months where LH knows how to exercise their market power and the fares are quite far of from what a customer in ARN would pay.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lack
I don't think the Polish railway system will ever stop with such surprises.
[Rail OT] But it works and is [in my opinion] one of the most efficient [systems] in Europe so at the end of the day I don’t care if the EIP between Warszawa & Bielsko-Biała makes one stop in the glorious Świętokrzyskie’s countryside, as long as trains are comfortable and on-time (British rail anyone?) [/Rail OT]

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Dec 13, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Apart from the fact that she was earning more than I did. She also did consultancy/training for banks, etc. in CEE countries. She'd even given workshops on Quant Finance methods to Goldman Sachs. From what I heard she earned more from those in half a day than I earned in a week. She had the academic credentials to easily get a position at an EU university but preferred to live in Odessa for emotional reasons. I know it sounds odd... most of Ukraine's population would probably jump ship by the middle of next week if you gave them a free right to live in the EU or US.
The second part might be a relevant here then - a person might, even against some obvious evidence (their paycheck) feel bad about spending what they consider an inappropriate amount for their own comfort, given for example that it might be a full month salary of their mother or cousin.

[Rail OT] But it works and is [in my opinion] one of the most efficient [systems] in Europe so at the end of the day I don’t care if the EIP between Warszawa & Bielsko-Biała makes one stop in the glorious Świętokrzyskie’s countryside, as long as trains are comfortable and on-time (British rail anyone?) [/Rail OT]
Wow, are the other countries rail systems that bad then? ;-)
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Lack
Wow, are the other countries rail systems that bad then? ;-)
I think it's just the British system that's so bad it's making everything else great by comparison

I have experience with multiple western rail systems, and most are quite good, and while more expensive than, say, Polish system, the prices are still reasonable and you tend to get reasonably clean and reasonably fast trains.
In the UK, they are much more expensive, and quality varies a good bit between lines. Plus the reliability is not all that great.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I think it's just the British system that's so bad it's making everything else great by comparison
Possibly!

G
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Have you visited SZZ yet? That might curtail your fondness for the regional airports.
I have never been!

Don't underestimate the implacable desire of people who aren't frequent flyers to get that all-important non-stop routing, especially in Poland. While Brits are often used to connecting or positioning, to get to LHR or avoid it altogether, as well as going via the usual ME3 hubs for Asia/Australia, I find that in Poland people would sometimes rather lose a limb than take any extra flight, even when they're getting terrible value. I've gone blue in the face explaining the exact same things as you, but it almost never makes any impact on people who just want to get from A to B and back to A with as little fuss as possible. The fact that LO is now giving people far more options for non-stops makes them even less likely to change that mindset. LO understands this mindset very well, which is why it trumpets the new direct routes so loudly, even though the normally price-sensitive consumers could find better options elsewhere.
But what direct long haul flights? They barely had any, only now do they reinstate routes long lost from the PRL times. Until recently what did they have, on an actual permanent basis? YYZ, ORD and JFK, on clapped out 767s? That's it. So unless Poles only wanted to go there, they had to connect.

Poles are used to direct flights because thats what Ryanair and later, Wizzair, have given them. The hub flights are far more expensive. I just picked up a KRK-FRA-TXL for Ł80, I think thats amazing price, but Ryanair flights on the same day are only Ł10. Most people I know believe connecting costs more, and they are right.

Small Planet, Enter and other charter companies are cheap also. You don't pay a lot to fly on a carrier that has Captains aged 26 and paid flight deck time... .

Again, most people in PL aren't aware of things like how Scandinavian routings can price much cheaper, especially for Premium cabins. I recently told a friend who was looking for a good deal on PE flights to Asia to start by looking at options from ARN. He looked at me like I was crazy. It was like telling someone who is hoping to find a cut-price vacation that they should consider spending a week in downtown Zurich. Another friend just booked WAW-LAX, paying over 3K for a junk economy ticket and was put out when I told him the price he could have got for flying LH instead. What's worse is that he intends to credit it to UA but the LO flight will only give him 25% on that.
Actually, I didn't mean for them to head to Sweden for cheap flights but to point out the comments by LO 044 that the RZE will be full of cheap tickets. There aren't cheap longhaul tickets out of PL. It's that rich liberal democracy that has them, maybe because they have open borders too? . Don't tell Kaz.

PS and its routes are already well-known and appreciated among the Polish FF community (see https://www.fly4free.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=191&p=1012755) but I'm not sure how much that translates to the average consumer.
Amazingly, all their fares in W and J are fully refundable. Every fare!

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk

I have experience with multiple western rail systems, and most are quite good, and while more expensive than, say, Polish system, the prices are still reasonable and you tend to get reasonably clean and reasonably fast trains.
In the UK, they are much more expensive, and quality varies a good bit between lines. Plus the reliability is not all that great.
I am happy to hold up Polish rail as being very good on the trunk routes, in terms of new or refurbished rolling stock but the UK has one of the safest railways in Europe. You're far far more likely to be injured or die on or by a Polish train than in the UK and that's with nearly half the population and a much smaller ridership as a share of population. Let's not mention 3x the road deaths of the UK... See http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statist..._2014-2015.png

They bought those terribly expensive Pendolino's and didn't fit them with Wi-Fi. I was told they omitted to write it in the contract, there was only one winner, Alstom. On Warsaw-Krakow they're a complete and utter waste of cash with no speed advantage at all for such expensive sets. To manage 225km in 2hrs20 mins is terrible. London to Glasgow is 642km and is done in 4hrs30 with plenty of stops. Warsaw-Krakow is nonstop. The FLIRT can do it in the same time, the Loco-hauled EIC can do it, and its far cheaper and the FLIRT has Wi-Fi!, EIC also and I just remembered the bar car has lower prices. The Pendolino is nothing short of a vanity project and an unnecessary golden turd purchase.

I think if they didn't have to spend net-EU contributors money then they would probably spend it a bit better just like they failed to do with say, RZE, LUZ, LCJ, RDO. Or building dual lane carriageways that are already to capacity in certain parts of Poland even with a Toll.

As I said, I enjoy getting the benefits of the UK's EU contributions here in Poland. Long may Shareeza May's payments continue to smooth my way in/around Poland.

Last edited by hugolover; Dec 14, 2017 at 10:23 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hugolover
But what direct long haul flights? They barely had any, only now do they reinstate routes long lost from the PRL times. Until recently what did they have, on an actual permanent basis? YYZ, ORD and JFK, on clapped out 767s? That's it. So unless Poles only wanted to go there, they had to connect.
Pretty much yes, those were (and still are) the most popular routes. Especially from KRK/RZE.

Poles are used to direct flights because thats what Ryanair and later, Wizzair, have given them. The hub flights are far more expensive. I just picked up a KRK-FRA-TXL for Ł80, I think thats amazing price, but Ryanair flights on the same day are only Ł10. Most people I know believe connecting costs more, and they are right.
Plenty of people pay those Ł80 for direct LCC routes if they don't plan three months ahead.
I remember though a couple years ago I used to be able to get connecting Lufty tickets to anywhere in Europe at that price and earned 3750 miles.

Actually, I didn't mean for them to head to Sweden for cheap flights but to point out the comments by LO 044 that the RZE will be full of cheap tickets. There aren't cheap longhaul tickets out of PL. It's that rich liberal democracy that has them, maybe because they have open borders too? . Don't tell Kaz.
There are. I have purchased many long haul tickets to the US at T-24h and they've been sometimes well under 700E. Try that in reverse direction...
Of course, the newly discounted Scandinavian market is in a league of its own and I sometimes take advantage of that too (it's nice that we have all those LCCs going north for peanuts).

Amazingly, all their fares in W and J are fully refundable. Every fare!
The cheap Y fares are often 'half-refundable' when the fee is half the ticket costs. In the old times, it was cheaper to forfeit the fare and just get the YQ and taxes back :-).

They bought those terribly expensive Pendolino's and didn't fit them with Wi-Fi. I was told they omitted to write it in the contract, there was only one winner, Alstom. On Warsaw-Krakow they're a complete and utter waste of cash with no speed advantage at all for such expensive sets. To manage 225km in 2hrs20 mins is terrible. London to Glasgow is 642km and is done in 4hrs30 with plenty of stops. Warsaw-Krakow is nonstop. The FLIRT can do it in the same time, the Loco-hauled EIC can do it, and its far cheaper and the FLIRT has Wi-Fi!, EIC also and I just remembered the bar car has lower prices. The Pendolino is nothing short of a vanity project and an unnecessary golden turd purchase.
The rail travel times are actually worse then they were before WW1 :-). It's mostly related to the ground infrastructure though. Wonder if it will ever catch up with the Pendolino potential.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:51 pm

It's that rich liberal democracy that has them, maybe because they have open borders too?
Excuse the (brief) OT but, as far as I’m aware (correct me if I’m wrong), Poland is home to several Ukrainian nationals and mostly further to the tragic events that have affected their own Country. Or are we considering Ukraine part of Poland just for the sake of a good-old western propaganda’s exercise when it comes to bash Poland, Hungary and so on?

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Dec 14, 2017 at 1:01 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:09 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
just... don't delve into politics, OK?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:32 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
To manage 225km in 2hrs20 mins is terrible.
My Pendolino ticke (advance purchase - PLN 79.00 including VAT) shows the distance is 293 kms.

Pendolino has not changed much on the WAW-KRK train route (mostly because CMK is still being renovated, there is only a single track from Opoczno to Wloszczowa as the other one is being re-done from the scratch), the big winner is WAW-WRO - down from about 7 hours in the 90's to 3.30 now.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:05 am

I've ridden WRO-WAW on a regular IC train just yersterday in 4h30 in a brand new spanking train, with working Wi-Fi and for a quarter of a price of a pendolino ticket.

I was a big fan of the concept earlier, but unless schedule forces your hand, I'd never take a Pendolino on that route, the 60 minutes shorter ride is not worth the price — especially if you can't work offline.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by klausa
I've ridden WRO-WAW on a regular IC train just yersterday in 4h30 in a brand new spanking train, with working Wi-Fi and for a quarter of a price of a pendolino ticket.
EICs are indeed equipped with Wi-Fi (T-Mobile's hot-spot) and I even find them -generally speaking and on most routes- to be better trains compared to EIPs.

G
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:56 am

EICs are indeed equipped with Wi-Fi (T-Mobile's hot-spot) and I even find them -generally speaking and on most routes- to be better trains compared to EIPs.

G
Wasn't even EIC, just "regular" IC, just on the Pesa Dart trains. Paid 85zl for a seat in 1st class two hours before getting on the train, *really* can't complain.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:14 am

Wasn't even EIC, just "regular" IC, just on the Pesa Dart trains.
Got you ^

Paid 85zl for a seat in 1st class two hours before getting on the train
Yet another plus for the Polish rail system as opposed to other western countries. A few weeks back I had purchased a one-way train ticket from London St. Pancras to Derby (advance single, as they call it, roughly 30 GBP for a seat in First Class), however a significant delay travelling to Heathrow (from Warsaw) prevented me to get on that particular service, meaning that I had to buy a new ticket at the station, costing me over 100 Pounds (this was standard class): one and a half hour on a crap train, which was also packed to the brim due to several earlier cancellations at the other major London station, Euston (needless to say, I didn't even attempt to get to my assigned seat as it was already a challenge to actually get on the train). Absolutely not the end of the world (how to forget the night trips on those far from comfortable TLKs from Wałbrzych to Warsaw!), but still...

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Dec 15, 2017 at 8:21 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Got you ^

Yet another plus for the Polish rail system as opposed to other western countries. A few weeks back I had purchased a one-way train ticket from London St. Pancras to Derby (advance single, as they call it, roughly 30 GBP for a seat in First Class), however a significant delay travelling to Heathrow (from Warsaw) prevented me to get on that particular service, meaning that I had to buy a new ticket at the station, costing me over 100 Pounds (this was standard class): one and a half hour on a crap train, which was also packed to the brim due to several earlier cancellations at the other major London station, Euston (needless to say, I didn't even attempt to get to my assigned seat as it was already a challenge to actually get on the train). Absolutely not the end of the world (how to forget the night trips on those far from comfortable TLKs from Wałbrzych to Warsaw!), but still...

G
Given that I normally have to get to somewhere not a million miles from Derby, this reminds me why it's worth avoiding LHR and flying in to BHX or MAN instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.