Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOT Polish new/cancelled/changed routes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover
The Lvov routes are weird. They're clearly only for Ukrainian expats and of course there's loads of them but unless its super cheap they will just take the bus or BlaBlaCar. They're immensely price sensitive to the point of wanting to save a few PLN which is further portrayed by the hassle of flying and the limit on the crap they can take with them.
They are also useful for Polish tourists (lots of sentimental ones going to Lviv) who don't feel like driving for half a day to the border, then waiting at the border crossing for hours.

LOT is said to get paid for these flights from municipal sources to some extent.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by GBM.flights
A pity they couldn't set aside an E70 for WAW-TXL. I was quite excited about that route until I realised it was going to be served by a DH4 (DH4 x567 / E70 5 / DH4 D).
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by marcoos
They are also useful for Polish tourists (lots of sentimental ones going to Lviv) who don't feel like driving for half a day to the border, then waiting at the border crossing for hours.

LOT is said to get paid for these flights from municipal sources to some extent.
I can understand a bit of traffic from Poles to LWO but in all honesty how much of that is likely to originate from SZY?

Mazury itself is a tourist destination for Poles, which 99% of them will be driving to rather than flying. So I wonder just how many would be planning on hopping on a flight from that region to Lviv/Lwów. I'd say there's some subsidy aspect here.

It also looks like a very obscure candidate for anna.aero's unserved route of the week.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:55 am

The Lvov routes are weird. They're clearly only for Ukrainian expats and of course there's loads of them but unless its super cheap they will just take the bus or BlaBlaCar. They're immensely price sensitive to the point of wanting to save a few PLN which is further portrayed by the hassle of flying and the limit on the crap they can take with them.
I remember meeting an Economics lecturer from Odessa who was visiting WAW for a seminar. She had spent two days making the journey by train and would spend another two days getting back, and it turns out that she did this on a regular basis. I quizzed her about whether it might be worth paying a bit extra to save 4 days each time but it soon became clear that I might as well have asked her why she didn't fly here by rocket ship. I thought economists were good at stuff like marginal utility and trading one thing against another but in her case it seemed to be 'inelastic' - you'd have to increase the journey time to infinity to offset adding a few hryvnia to the cost.
hugolover and James91 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:15 pm

Exciting times for PLL LOT, I hope they’ll consider SJJ at some point in the near future, that would be a nice addition to the current network in the Balkans region.

G
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Oh a split duty like KSC, the crew will love that!
Are those crews kept on duty during the layover?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:17 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Exciting times for PLL LOT, I hope they’ll consider SJJ at some point in the near future, that would be a nice addition to the current network in the Balkans region.

G
I think someone mentioned on pasazer.com that SJJ, TIA, SKP and BOJ are in the final stages of planing for Summer 2018.

For now pure speculation, though.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
I think someone mentioned on pasazer.com that SJJ, TIA, SKP and BOJ are in the final stages of planing for Summer 2018
Thanks T - fingers crossed then.

G
Old Dec 7, 2017, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yurtripper
I remember meeting an Economics lecturer from Odessa who was visiting WAW for a seminar. She had spent two days making the journey by train and would spend another two days getting back, and it turns out that she did this on a regular basis. I quizzed her about whether it might be worth paying a bit extra to save 4 days each time but it soon became clear that I might as well have asked her why she didn't fly here by rocket ship. I thought economists were good at stuff like marginal utility and trading one thing against another but in her case it seemed to be 'inelastic' - you'd have to increase the journey time to infinity to offset adding a few hryvnia to the cost.
That 'paying a bit extra' is the key phrase. If you're making sub 1k EUR per month, those 4 days may be worth less then a consultant in Germany is expensing on an average client dinner.
whiskey_sk likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Lack
That 'paying a bit extra' is the key phrase. If you're making sub 1k EUR per month, those 4 days may be worth less then a consultant in Germany is expensing on an average client dinner.
Apart from the fact that she was earning more than I did. She also did consultancy/training for banks, etc. in CEE countries. She'd even given workshops on Quant Finance methods to Goldman Sachs. From what I heard she earned more from those in half a day than I earned in a week. She had the academic credentials to easily get a position at an EU university but preferred to live in Odessa for emotional reasons. I know it sounds odd... most of Ukraine's population would probably jump ship by the middle of next week if you gave them a free right to live in the EU or US.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
New routes from Rzeszów.

Newark - Rzeszów - Newark, begins April 29. 787-8
EWR-RZE Sundays 19:25-10:10+1
RZE-EWR Mondays 14:10-17:40

Tel Aviv - Rzeszów - Tel Aviv, begins March 9, 737-800/737 MAX8
TLV-RZE Saturdays 20:50-23:35
RZE-TLV Sundays 06:06-10:50
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marcoos
New routes from Rzeszów.

Newark - Rzeszów - Newark, begins April 29. 787-8
EWR-RZE Sundays 19:25-10:10+1
RZE-EWR Mondays 14:10-17:40

Tel Aviv - Rzeszów - Tel Aviv, begins March 9, 737-800/737 MAX8
TLV-RZE Saturdays 20:50-23:35
RZE-TLV Sundays 06:06-10:50
Wow, quite the surprise. Now let’s find out what the subsidy is!
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
most of Ukraine's population would probably jump ship by the middle of next week if you gave them a free right to live in the EU or US.
Possibly on the same scale as that when PL, RO and the Baltic states joined the EU back in the days?

G
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:44 am

A couple of extra planes painted on Visit Podkarpackie/Jerozolima’s special livery and, as the French say, les jeux sont faits

G
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Wasn't RZE-JFK (or RZE-ORD) tried one summer 6 or 7 years ago? But at least flying into EWR gives them lots of feed opportunity from UA.
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.