Wiki Posts
Search

Economy vs. Economy Premium

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by evergrn
Looking to book YVR-CPT.
$1000USD difference between economy and premium economy.

TATL is on 747-400. Germany-ZA are on A340-300 and A340-600.
Not sure if I can believe seatguru, but their info says that PE seat width on A340's is only 18" which is </= 1" more than Y.
It seems like you get significantly more recline, which is nice. But we're not that tall, and the seat width and space from your neighbor has always been the more important factor for us.
This seems like a really raw deal considering you're paying almost 2x. On EVA, you get ~19" seat width, ~2" more than Y.

Then again, S.Africa is a really long ways away.

Is $1000 worth the difference in flight experience?
I fly the FRA-YVR 747-400 home frequently. I really despise LH's premium economy, but must say I have never flown LH econ on a long haul flight.

I fly premium economy because I can through work. What I appreciate the most about it is the enhanced food and drink service I get in AC's premium economy. You don't get this on LH.

I'm a tall guy so the seat space is important to me. The width of the seat is irrelevant as I'm not big, but the width of the armrest is important. LH does this well, but that's really the only advantage I can see.

Keep your money. You will be underwhelmed at best.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:39 pm

Thanks for the feedbacks. Seems like people have different opinions on how much PE is worth.
Actually, I found a better fare on AF/DL, so we might do that instead.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks for the feedbacks. Seems like people have different opinions on how much PE is worth.
Actually, I found a better fare on AF/DL, so we might do that instead.
Folks on the relevant forums may be able to help you more but beware of AF's PE product. Reviews are mixed. Hard product appears to be 'okay with it'/'hate it' but the soft product is well regarded.

DL has a real PE product only on its A350's - otherwise your upgrade options are limited to extra legroom seats or business.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
Having flown both long haul PE and E, I can say that PE is pretty good. There is no priority boarding or check in but the seats are very comfortable.

AF's PE seats looks good but they are extremely uncomfortable. the cushions will kill your back and behind after 3 hours.
DL does not have real PE except for the A350s, even then DL's 2-4-2 in PE on an A350 is not very generous, Lufthansa has 2-3-2 on A350 in PE.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:06 am

Already booked AF/DL, only to find out about these things (uncomfortable PE seats on AF, no extra width on DL) afterwards. Oh well. I don't research things well ahead of time, and this is what I get.

With DL, even though seat width is the same as Y, it's still not too bad because it's 9-abreast 777-200.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.