FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Will LH continue to serve CLT for much longer? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1773233-will-lh-continue-serve-clt-much-longer.html)

AJones2000 Jun 19, 16 7:27 pm

Will LH continue to serve CLT for much longer?

So yeah, basically above. Are the loads still ok now that US has been AA/OW for a good while?
It is weird how they still serve it (probably) just on O/D.
(But, as a CLT flyer, I like the extra tail and I'm pretty sure the city will do a lot $ wise to keep them here, especially as they want that new int'l terminal)
Regards-
A

malmostoso Jun 19, 16 11:04 pm

As long as BMW and Daimler have factories in South Carolina I think there will be enough premium traffic to keep the route going. Also I think that the area around Raleigh is quite important economically, and I'm sure a lot of German businesses profit from the direct connection on LH.

oliver2002 Jun 20, 16 1:08 am

CLT rever relied on the US hub to for traffic. There was a bit of Central Am/Caribe feed, which continues, as LH has agreements with AA out of DFW/MIA/CLT for onward feeder traffic.

daumueller Jun 20, 16 6:08 pm

I am a regular on that flight and it is always full in business, well booked in first... Hard to understand that it will lose F next year

worldtraveller73 Jun 22, 16 9:36 pm

Wasn't CLT one of the most "declined" airports for passenger traffic in 2015 in USA for American Airlines after the takeover of US Airways? I believe Gary Leff had this in a View from the Wing post last week.

oliver2002 Jun 22, 16 11:55 pm

AA emasculating the former US hub as part of the merger is fairly irrelevant to LHs operation there. Besides the automotive traffic mentioned above the Banking and industrial activity in that region can sustain a wide body a day. US never seriously had any widebody ops out of CLT.

CMK10 Jun 25, 16 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 26818428)
AA emasculating the former US hub as part of the merger is fairly irrelevant to LHs operation there. Besides the automotive traffic mentioned above the Banking and industrial activity in that region can sustain a wide body a day. US never seriously had any widebody ops out of CLT.

I'm not sure what you mean by that, they typically had a half dozen to a dozen widebody flights a day to Europe. But US was an airline that didn't have very many widebodies so it was proportional to their operation.

Ber2dca Jun 26, 16 12:20 pm

CLT always struck me as a route for which a few corporate customers pay and everything else is just the icing on the cake..

CHCflyer Jun 27, 16 4:30 pm

A minority of passengers on this flight is MUC-CLT traffic - the rest is connecting from the LH/LX MUC network. BOM is a big contributor.

flyingmusicianlax Jun 29, 16 2:00 pm

In addition to the business sense in it, why WOULDN'T LH serve CLT when they serve ATL, DTW, and DEN? If there's good business sense, an airline will serve it. There is also a large German ex-pat population here, in addition to the banking and automotive industries.

Madone59 Jun 29, 16 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 26818428)
AA emasculating the former US hub as part of the merger is fairly irrelevant to LHs operation there.

I figured this may have even helped LH a little bit because most of the LUS routes cut from CLT were international. Right?

oliver2002 Aug 27, 18 12:33 am

It seems AA will stop flying PHL-MUC next summer and switch the A332 service to CLT. Of course AA wants to use the flight to fill its hub for onward traffic, but this will bring competition to LH on the BMW/Auto flight to CLT...

CLT Aug 27, 18 12:46 pm

I've always been under the impression that the LH CLT flight was very much oriented from the German point-of-sale. I would find it hard to believe that German companies operating in the Metrolina area would suddenly switch their corporate contracts from LH to AA, especially when LH offers a superior product.

oliver2002 Aug 27, 18 12:50 pm

The BoA related crowd will probably also not terminate in MUC...

klbak2009 Feb 22, 19 10:46 am

Lufthansa Charlotte-Munich

Hi. Economy flying clt-munich. What kind of earphones should i bring? Is there a blanket and pillow? Any comments about entertainment or food?