FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   Baggage fee on UA on ticket booked with Lufthansa miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1760022-baggage-fee-ua-ticket-booked-lufthansa-miles.html)

happyharrys Apr 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Baggage fee on UA on ticket booked with Lufthansa miles

I couldn't find an answer to this on google or searching this forum. I have an itinerary booked with Lufthansa miles and is entirely on United. Whose baggage rule does apply ? Lufthansa gives 1 free bag on economy but United doesn't.

Thanks in advance.

Often1 Apr 16, 2016 9:20 pm

The LH miles are irrelevant. That is just a form of payment.

Presuming that the ticket originates or terminates in the US, the baggage allowance for the marketing carrier of the first segment applies to the entire ticket.

You haven't supplied anywhere near enough information to answer the question, but the rule is as above.

happyharrys Apr 16, 2016 11:38 pm

Thanks. The flight is a UA domestic flight from SBA to MCI via SFO.

warakorn Apr 17, 2016 7:17 am

Lufthansa gives 1 free bag on economy but United doesn't.
This is news to me. Since when does Lufthansa gives 1 bag free in Economy?

TPJ Apr 17, 2016 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by happyharrys (Post 26495855)
Thanks. The flight is a UA domestic flight from SBA to MCI via SFO.

You would have to pay unless you are Star Gold or have at least MP Silver status or have UA co-branded credit card.

NewbieRunner Apr 18, 2016 2:51 am

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 26496715)
This is news to me. Since when does Lufthansa gives 1 bag free in Economy?

Is this a serious question? At least one bag has been free in Economy as long as I can remember until they introduced 'Economy Light' on shorthaul flights. Still free on all other fares and on longhaul flights.

http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Free-baggage-rules

weero Apr 18, 2016 5:50 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 26500185)
Is this a serious question? At least one bag has been free in Economy as long as I can remember until they introduced 'Economy Light' on shorthaul flights..

While a reasonable interjection .... you certainly do remember the 20kg weight concept and the 2x23kg piece concept in coach on longhauls, quite certainly the 30kg domestic, and I certainly remember the 2x32kg piece concept.

warakorn Apr 18, 2016 8:14 am

Is this a serious question? At least one bag has been free in Economy as long as I can remember until they introduced 'Economy Light' on shorthaul flights. Still free on all other fares and on longhaul flights.
The OP has not specified which route he is talking about.
The majority of routes by LH are shorthaul.
We have established in this forum that most shorthaul Economy tickets are booked as Economy Light by default, esp. when booking through an OTA.
By a measurement of probability, my objection is completely valid.

weero Apr 18, 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 26501044)
..We have established in this forum that most shorthaul Economy tickets are booked as Economy Light by default, esp. when booking through an OTA..

Not award tickets.

htb Apr 18, 2016 9:18 am

Originally Posted by warakorn (Post 26501044)
The OP has not specified which route he is talking about.
The majority of routes by LH are shorthaul.
We have established in this forum that most shorthaul Economy tickets are booked as Economy Light by default, esp. when booking through an OTA.
By a measurement of probability, my objection is completely valid.

Your objection was "since when does LH give a free bag". I don't think that injection is even remotely valid. In contrast: "Since when doesn't LH allow a free bag?" would at least have been a valid question.

HTB.