Community
Wiki Posts
Search

THANK YOU FT! Becoming a HON Circle Member at the age of 22

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
I don't see why you brag about reaching HON.

I maintain 3 top tier program levels at a similar age and see no reason to brag about it. If anything, it's sad one would fly that much. (I'll be cutting one)
You just did!!!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: A3 Gold. Hilton HHonors Silver
Long live the envy and pettiness of other people. Yes, it my be selfless bragging, but my God some of you are judgemental.
Just ignore and move on if this bothers you.
It shows dedication and strong organisational skills to pull this off
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:29 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by klausa
Yeah, but then you'd have to watch the Entourage movie...
A fair point indeed. That somewhat rebalances the suffering between the long post and a story free Hollywood flick.
Originally Posted by bogstadveien
Yes, it my be selfless bragging, but my God some of you are judgemental.
That comes for free with having impeccable judgement.
It shows dedication and strong organisational skills to pull this off

You din't read the book, did you ???
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
That's how this forum is. It takes courage and quite a bit of psychological understanding to post here. But if you can deal with it (took me a while) it's worth it. Everybody's got something to contribute, even if we step off the mark from time to time. But my question is, is the OP going to come back and give some follow up?

(in response to bogstadveien's post).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: A3 Gold. Hilton HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by weero
A fair point indeed. That somewhat rebalances the suffering between the long post and a story free Hollywood flick.

That comes for free with having impeccable judgement.

You din't read the book, did you ???
Nope, but I did read all the posts here. My impression is that OP put in quite the effort to obtain his HONcircle membership. Is it stupid to brag about? I don't know and I don't care, but some people here obviously thinks it's fine to ridicule him.
It reeks of envy and pettiness. Maybe I exaggerated when I said it takes strong org. skills, but it requires dedication and a fair amount of research to do this unless you have a bottomless wallet.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:29 am

Becoming a HON isn't anything I would brag about it.

You reach it by spending money. Either your own one (be it earned, inherited, won..) or other's (business)

Sure, you can optimize routings, go on mileage runs etc. when you're lacking "just that little bit". Or you can fly by LH private jet to St. Moritz

For me, the only HONs that really EARNED it are those that did it in Y (while it was still possible) - yes, there were some of them around, but not anymore I guess (last ones lost end of February, ie just 1 month ago?) - those were and are the true heroes of myself (Being a combined C/Y SEN )

I'm fairly sure most people on this board could achieve HON if they wanted to. Couple relatively cheap F (or Z/D) runs Ex-CheapCheap locations, and you've your HON status. Not sure whats the cheapest way you could become HON right now, but even if we assume you've to fly 600k status miles from scratch, it's not like you've to be a millionaire.

3750 status miles are possible for a bit less than 200€ if I'm not mistaken (European Upgrade Saver into P with LX during minimum fare on single connection) - alternatively, how much are those cheapest long haul D fares Ex-CheapPlaces, or A fares?

Around 1500€ D/2500€ A or so, if I'm not mistaken. Might be even a bit less, but that should be the corners we're talking about. Earning roughly (very roughly!) 30+/45k+ RT, if you take a European connection into it. Probably 5k more, if you manage to squeeze in two (depending on fare rules)

So, assuming you need either 20 of those 1500€ D fares, or (a bit more than) 150 of those European connections for 200€ each. Yes, you can see, the final price is about the same, 30k € or so.

You're getting 600k miles with it, worth (for those that buy Superpunkte) 10.500 CHF (ie, a bit less than 10k €) plus some eVouchers (Definitely less worth ), roughly 1/3rd back. You might also get some extra savings as HON brings some benefits, but they're not in the 4-digit numbers overall. Obviously if you do travel a lot, HON is a nice status do have, but well, you can pretty much "buy" it by flying 30 RTs in 2 years, or a bit more than once a month. Not something too crazy in my book. You need some money for it (15k € per year, not impossible for quite some people) and obviously time - but if you enjoy travelling and do have some funds (again, no need to be a millionaire) you can easily reach it, if you want.

Becoming (staying) HON is not something you can "show off" with. It's nice to have and most HONs do know exactly that. I'm happy when I can profit from a fellow HON and visit a FCL with him/her, but it's not like he's buying Super-VIP status with it. It's an airline status that grants benefits, that's it.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Accor Silver
@OP : Schaumschlâger
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by bogstadveien
..Is it stupid to brag about? I don't know and I don't care, but some people here obviously thinks it's fine to ridicule him.
Not him, the post - it really read like a hybrid between a Readers Digest sales pitch and a Nigerian scam .... and it kinda was a bit of both.
It reeks of envy and pettiness.
Do you realise that most here who did ridicule the style of the post, are actually either HON or have divorced LH a fair while ago? I wouldn't want the HON status if LH shoved the card up my Glutaeus ... I mean figuratively. Not until a great many things have changed.
So while your conjecture is certainly within the realm of possibility, I see no data to support it.
Originally Posted by Concerto
...(in response to bogstadveien's post).
And I almost feared that you'd accuse me of actually promoting the Entourage movie ...
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA, HA
It was just sooooooo tediously long. Even when I stopped reading OP's post and switched to scrolling, it still took forever. (yawn)

Good for him (I say with 47.3% irony).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Accor Silver
. Due to the fact that he had reached the pinnacle both in sports and in science (with a doctor's degree involving hard work).
@gum: an "austrian doctor's degree" in Medicin isn't a doctor's degree at all. It's kinda strange, but after the university they are a "Dr med.univ."in Austria automatically , without an extra work. Please see "Sponsion" or " Berufsdoktorat" .
In Bavaria it would be like a ," Diplom" , not a "Dr med"
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:40 am

2500 € for A and HON miles?
Where are those fares?

Last edited by PetzLUX; Apr 1, 2016 at 12:53 am
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by PetzLUX
2500 € for A and HON miles?
Where are those fares?
A very quick Google search found me this:

http://www.ftcircle.com/swiss-busine...rtner-special/

Last year sale, you had to fly as couple, but then you got "Delhi for 1.562 Euro" - yes, in F (A) - and yes, both people earned miles, if I'm not TOTALLY mistaken. So that's quite a bit below 2500€ (albeit Delhi isn't Singapore.. but still has a better milage earning than my calculations)

And my calculations where based on Business class fares (1500€ longhaul, D) - those definitely exist too For single flyers, as well..

Yes, that won't get you a ZRH-SIN RT ticket, you'll have to start somewhere cheaper. But with nesting, you can make that "extra" flight cost go to 0, pretty much.

My calculations weren't down to the last buck, but just a general overview how much, not real-real calculations if you want it this way, more like "dry swimming" to check roughly how much - if you want to get HON from scratch - you've to spend, more or less.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:40 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by guiseppe
@gum: an "austrian doctor's degree" in Medicin isn't a doctor's degree at all. It's kinda strange, but after the university they are a "Dr med.univ."in Austria automatically , without an extra work. Please see "Sponsion" or " Berufsdoktorat" .
In Bavaria it would be like a ," Diplom" , not a "Dr med"
Thanks for the contribution, guiseppe!

Appreciated. I have not really a detailed knowlegde of the educational / university landscape of the neighbourhood countries.

Only thing I know is that if you study at a Bavarian university and complete it successfully you (or I) always have a disadvantage when competing with universities which grant better grades for the same knowledge/test result.

Also thanks to YuropFlyer for the dedicated calculation of the "purchase price"/"entry requirements" for the HON Card.

Honestly spoken I would value the HON membership (for members based at hubs with HON facilities like FRA/MUC) with about 20-30 free meals (ground catering) which would have a price tag of approx. 40-50 Euros per meal and person in the city centre of Munich/Frankfurt. I am convinced there is not much more time per year to enjoy it really and stop the hectic of the daily life.

So the discount is approx. 1.500 Euro in meals per year for the "investment" calculated by YouropFlyer. The upgrade vouchers are an additional nice gesture.

Therefore the overall "rebate" or "value" of the HON card should be around 5.000-7.000 Euros per year which is an additional discount of less than 20 % on the overall turnover.

Therefore in my eyes the HON membership is a good means of marketing, a way to show appreciation to the best customers als well as add a bit of bling-bling to the airline. Which is especially fine for the leaders of companies which normally choose the airline by themselves or order the flights through their personal assistants.

I would go one step further and would reward the members of the family of the HON card holder once a year with guaranteed awards for First Class without any capacity restrictions. That said I would uphold the F-Class on the whole longhaul network with at least 4 seats per a/c.

In summarization: This thread is really fine. Would be happy if the OP would come back and give us some answers.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:00 am

Yes, he also could explain us why he mixed up Emirates Skywards IO status (which you are selected from Emirates and indeed is exclusive for just "a few") with M&M HON (which you get by flying in high booking classes - and which for a while apparently had close to 10.000 members if I'm not mistaken)

Or how else should I understand:

"“Miles and More” has taken a very smart path by establishing a super VIP status called “HON Circle”. A lot of rumors fly around this “club” as only a selected few people worldwide achieve it."
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
A very quick Google search found me this:

http://www.ftcircle.com/swiss-busine...rtner-special/

Last year sale, you had to fly as couple, but then you got "Delhi for 1.562 Euro" - yes, in F (A) - and yes, both people earned miles, if I'm not TOTALLY mistaken. So that's quite a bit below 2500€ (albeit Delhi isn't Singapore.. but still has a better milage earning than my calculations)

And my calculations where based on Business class fares (1500€ longhaul, D) - those definitely exist too For single flyers, as well..

Yes, that won't get you a ZRH-SIN RT ticket, you'll have to start somewhere cheaper. But with nesting, you can make that "extra" flight cost go to 0, pretty much.

My calculations weren't down to the last buck, but just a general overview how much, not real-real calculations if you want it this way, more like "dry swimming" to check roughly how much - if you want to get HON from scratch - you've to spend, more or less.
Your calculations are way off, but that's OT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.