Rimowa Electronic Tag [and Lufthansa Group]

Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by JakeMorgan
I read yesterday that Rimowa will cease production of the Electronic Tag lines once their new bags launch mid-June.
Care to share a link? Currently debating between an 82L and 82L with e-tag and the price is practically the same. I'd be interested in the e-tag for the novelty of it but not if the discontinuation will impact the value/serviceability of the bag.

Last edited by turkz1; Jun 11, 2018 at 10:17 pm Reason: Format clean up
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Executive Club Gold, Marriott Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by turkz1
Care to share a link? Currently debating between an 82L and 82L with e-tag and the price is practically the same. I'd be interested in the e-tag for the novelty of it but not if the discontinuation will impact the value/serviceability of the bag.
I can't find it immediately but there have been many articles in the past week about Rimowa's new transparent bag developed with the brand "Off White." In several of these articles they mention that the whole Rimowa range is being updated into the following lines: Original, Classic (both aluminum), Essential, Essential Lite, Essential Sleeve (polycarbonate) and I believe a hybrid as well. The new lines should be online/available this month in Europe and in the US in July so you'll be able to see pretty soon if the E-Tags are going away...
Old Jun 21, 2018, 5:59 am

You called it. Website updated. It looks like they’ve done away with the add a bag too which is a little disppointing. Can’t help but feel that it’s all a little sterile.

Last edited by turkz1; Jun 21, 2018 at 6:50 am
Old Jun 21, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Executive Club Gold, Marriott Platinum for Life
I went through the updated site the other day. I have to admit I was a little disappointed by their updates. Perhaps they'll come out with a truly new line next year.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Flying on UA and then connecting on to SAS and Thai in a few weeks. Will I have issues checking my etag suitcase? Have to take batteries out?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:18 pm

Yes. You may as well leave the batteries out unless you need to update the tag as the display will stay on.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 2:54 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Yes. You may as well leave the batteries out unless you need to update the tag as the display will stay on.
No need to take the batteries out. These batteries are allowed in checked luggage.

HTB.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by htb
No need to take the batteries out. These batteries are allowed in checked luggage.

HTB.
Think you’ll find that YMMV. Not all airlines allow alkaline batteries in checked luggage. I’d encourage OP to check his particular airline’s conditions.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:00 pm
htb

Think you’ll find that YMMV. Not all airlines allow alkaline batteries in checked luggage. I’d encourage OP to check his particular airline’s conditions.
Do you have an example?

I would guess that most airlines will follow FAA regulations on batteries.

This states:

Except for spare (uninstalled) lithium metal and lithium-ion batteries, all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage. The batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit or installed in a device. Battery-powered devices particularly those with moving parts or those that could heat upmust be protected from accidental activation. Spare lithium metal and lithium ion/polymer batteries are prohibited in checked baggagethis includes external battery packs. Electronic cigarettes and vaporizers are also prohibited in checked baggage. “Checked baggage” includes bags checked at the gate or planeside.
I think this is pretty clear. So please provide an example of an airline that would not allow alkaline batteries installed in a device to be transported in checked baggage.

HTB.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by htb
Do you have an example?

I would guess that most airlines will follow FAA regulations on batteries.

This states:

I think this is pretty clear. So please provide an example of an airline that would not allow alkaline batteries installed in a device to be transported in checked baggage.

HTB.
Absolutely agree that most if not all regulatory bodies allow them but I do believe some airlines prohibit them as part of a blanket ban on batteries in checked baggage.

I can’t seem to find a specific airline at the moment but per the Canadian air travel authority “Not all airlines allow alkaline batteries (e.g. AAA, AA, C, D, 9-volt, etc.) carried in checked baggage. Please consult your airline for more information.”

Old Jul 14, 2018, 1:19 pm

Unfortunately effective July 2018 Rimowa is officially discontinuing electronic tags. Too few airlines adopted the system. I found the futuristic new system very cool. Sent my priority bag tags to my Rimowa straight from my IPhone via Lufthansa app. Worked on LX as well. When you check in, the agent scans your suitcase/electronic tag and it registers in the system. Then an electronic receipt appears on your phone (again via LH app under Baggage Receipts).

For the fortunate (or unfortunate?) few early adopters who already have it, it will keep working. At least for a while.

Seems we weren’t ready for the future quite yet. However one can see how travel will be changing.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:23 am

So, now that Rimowa is discontinuing the electronic tag, what do we do with ours?

I never actually used it, since none of the carriers I fly actually support it. Was hoping for gradual increase in support, but unfortunately it seems like the opposite is happening.

Some of you mention putting your contact info on the eTag instead. Is it a good idea to have your contact info prominently displayed on the side of your bag?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:30 pm
htb

Originally Posted by Captain K
For the fortunate (or unfortunate?) few early adopters who already have it, it will keep working. At least for a while.
Many retailers in Germany are selling off the last remaining Rimowa cases right now. The E-Tag version is usually a bit cheaper than the traditional version without E-Tag. I assume they aren't selling too well. Anyway: you don't need to be fortunate to have an E-Tag Rimowa. In a few weeks these will probably be the only ones still available.

Originally Posted by Captain K
Sent my priority bag tags to my Rimowa straight from my IPhone via Lufthansa app. Worked on LX as well. When you check in, the agent scans your suitcase/electronic tag and it registers in the system. Then an electronic receipt appears on your phone (again via LH app under Baggage Receipts).

Compare that to:
  • Sent my priority bag tags to my Rimowa straight from my IPhone via Lufthansa app. Worked on LX as well. --> Skip this step. I assume you still had to check in by phone. Works with most airlines.
  • When you check in, the agent scans your suitcase/electronic tag and it registers in the system. --> When you check in, the agent prints your tag and attaches it to the suitcase. It's registered automatically.
  • Then an electronic receipt appears on your phone (again via LH app under Baggage Receipts). -->Then an electronic receipt appears on your phone
I'm starting to see why I'm not the only one not ready for "the future" yet...

HTB.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
It’s highly unfortunate that they discontinued this feature, as those of us who purchase are left with a somewhat of a paperweight (although it does still work as a luggage). Does anyone know if Rimowa will be able to do anything for those of us who purchased fairly recently? Less than a year since purchase and hoping they will do right by us customers.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
I think the technology will live on, see www.bagtag.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.