Rimowa Electronic Tag [and Lufthansa Group]

Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:52 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I'll wait untill there is a general norm for these tags working for most airlines and itineraries. That Rimowa hasn't been able to launch an android app for this product baffles me. 10% of their marketing budget for this product reassigned to software should fix this quickly...
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:47 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Lack
I suppose the number of damaged electronic tags might be lower then the number of paper tags that got torn away from the luggage, but there's probably little data yet to support this.
Of course the number is lower -- hardly anyone is using electronic tags...

As for the percentage: I don't know. Recently they will also attach small barcodes to the side of the suitcase in case the main tag gets ripped off. That never happened to me in >17 years of flying, however, so I doubt this is a serious problem. I usually have trouble removing the tags on purpose. They are really tough unless you separate them from the inside out.

HTB.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:42 am

They do have data on the number of missing tags though - i suppose that's quite significant in the lost bag category, but still slim in the overall checked population.

The barcodes are nothing new, but they present a challenge for flexible luggage - either make them stick hard and be difficult to remove or they tear out easily when the luggage bends.

Anyway, I did have a tag missing at least once. Don't mind it though, have pretty good travel insurance in that case.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by htb
I believe it has been asked before: apart from the "cool" factor, what problem does this tag solve, or why would it be a convenience? You still have to drop of your bag, and getting a piece of paper printed at that time doesn't appear to be too much of an issue. I don't think I'll invest in an electronic tag any time soon that is only supported by one airline and one suitcase manufacturer and only accessible through an iOS phone.

Are there any plans in sight of other airlines and other suitcase manufacturers supporting this technology in the near future? If not, this looks like a dead end to me.
Most likely the advantages will only show up in a future where the baggage drop-off location is just a hole in a wall with a bar code scanner. That is probably the greatest advantage: to eliminate the big lines of people waiting for a tag while dropping off the luggage. Sure, you can also buy business class, and skip lines, but this would be a cheaper alternative.

This, of course, relies on these tags becoming a de facto standard, or at least have enough critical mass for airlines/airports invest in automated bag collection machines. On their website they mention they're in conversations with other airlines (United, EVA Air, Condor...) but I imagine it'll take a while until it's commonplace.

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
I'll wait untill there is a general norm for these tags working for most airlines and itineraries. That Rimowa hasn't been able to launch an android app for this product baffles me. 10% of their marketing budget for this product reassigned to software should fix this quickly...
Not to sound presumptuous, but the statistics show that if you're targeting a luxury product, iPhone owners are a better target audience. They will make an Android app, but it's not a priority.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: LH FTL, Avis CC, A-Club Plat, Marriott Gold
It seems that the Android App is now available on the Play Store

Eva Air now seems to be onboard the program, UA is still testing...

60 Euros/500g more for this gadget, has someone already used it, is it worth the upgrade or is it as critical as our * on our LH tags ?
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Do they have real time GPS tracking or not possible yet?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Do they have real time GPS tracking or not possible yet?
No GPS tracking whatsoever. That's in development but we're talking 2 years from now if it ever comes to fruition.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by mevr
No GPS tracking whatsoever. That's in development but we're talking 2 years from now if it ever comes to fruition.
Bah so the luggage ticket feature is virtually useless and just another electronic gadget that will increase the weight, take more space, and still fail to provide real time tracking.

I just want real GPS tracking in my Rimowa so I know where it's or should I bother even waiting at the carousel if I don't see it in the first round of bags.
Old Dec 18, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
That's exactly what it is, a display for the luggage tag or your address if you wish, nothing more. I got my Topas without it, I don't see the need of having to update yet another device during my travels.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 11:14 pm

How are airlines going to know it's an priority bag.

Example, *A Orange Priority baggage tag
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The priority status is coded into the bag tag anyway, the manufacturer assumes the airlines will scan the bag for the details during loading/sorting. Most airlines also show the priority indicator on the tag itself, LH prints 'PRIORITY' for C/SEN and 'HON' for F/HON in big bold letters in the tag.

IATA RP1740b and RP 740b provide on how the status of the bag is coded. Mostly its the 10 digit identifier that needs to be scanned/read.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:08 am

Good to know! Ill be interested to see if the Rimowa will actually display HON instead of Priority on an F trip.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
Not all airports accept electronic tag

• JFK Terminal 1 Lufthansa stated that the TSA did not allow electronic tags
  • AMS check-in staff claimed that there was a new EU regulation in place banning electronic tags
Any one else with similar experience?
Old Feb 10, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
New experience:
  • JFK: Check-in staff did not know what to do, called supervisor Chris, scanned bag tag, added blank tag with HON flag
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Ziegenhorn
..AMS check-in staff claimed that there was a new EU regulation in place banning electronic tags
So did they not accept the illegal bag ... or did they merely print a paper tag?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.