Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Electronic Tag [and Lufthansa Group]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by travel_mav

The E-tag module is powered by two AAA batteries and is user-replaceable, so I am unsure of how it would be susceptible to an integrated lithium ion battery “ban”.
Thanks. I was just curious, because IATA and AA specifically call out e-tags as part of a smart bag, and didn't know how easily it could be proven not to be part of the ban.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:30 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by travel_mav

The E-tag module is powered by two AAA batteries and is user-replaceable, so I am unsure of how it would be susceptible to an integrated lithium ion battery “ban”.
The tags might neither use lithium nor integrated batteries, but try explaining that to the check-in staff. I don't think I'd want to have that conversation every time...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, CX Diamond, LH Senator, BA Gold, Hyatt Courtesy
Besides E-Tags not being registered by LX or LH at CDG (paper tags must be printed and attached), I'm now concerned that the new ban might prohibit the E-Tag on CX. I'll be flying CX in a few hours and we'll see how it goes and I'll post back here. The CX lithium battery ban is due to go into effect on Jan 1st. At least the batteries are removable in the worst case scenario.

Old Feb 4, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Anyone ever "lost" their bags or had it delayed due to e-tag?

I'm considering whether or not to use it ex Russia, I have successfully flown it in from MUC/FRA into Russia but never out.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The worldshop is running a 100€ off campaign on all etag rimowa luggage...
Old Feb 5, 2018, 8:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I wonder if this is the beginning of the end?

I foolishly bought one. Indeed it was impossible to buy the newer models without e-tag, all of them came with the e-tag.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:14 am

The e-Tag always seemed to me a solution looking for a problem.

Coupled with the resulting loss of the middle clasp (in the larger sizes) which actually served a useful purpose, it was difficult to be convinced that this was a good idea overall.

Good to know that they are now offering the cases with or without. I would imagine many would choose without (even if it is not affected by the Li-Ion ban).
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stargold
Good to know that they are now offering the cases with or without. I would imagine many would choose without (even if it is not affected by the Li-Ion ban).
Are they? Last time I shopped (mid last year), all the new cases were e-Tag and the bags without were older inventory.

I agree this was a big miscalculation by Rimowa, even before the battery issue. I was told at the Rimowa SF store that no one wanted to buy the e-Tag and that staff was spending lots of time trying to track down inventory for customers who wanted the older version.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Are they? Last time I shopped (mid last year), all the new cases were e-Tag and the bags without were older inventory.
I was going by this:
Originally Posted by Miles Collector
The Rimowa websites now shows the new version with and without the e-tag. So it looks like the e-tag will not be a mandatory "feature" anymore.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:59 pm

I was going by this:
What about the suckers like me who bought the e-tag bag? Half the time it can't be used, unless you are flying LH group ex-DE and only ex-DE. Its accepted only at a handful of LH stations outside Germany ( in reality) and made even more complicated now with the IATA ruling.

Maybe a cover up? ( as in remove the etag model and replace it with an alu sheet. The sales person told me that its possible to covert old cases and add e-tag, Rimowa should come up with a reverse solution.
Grog likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was going by this:
Ah, thanks. Good news.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF gold, HHdiamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
seen this... just wondering how the discount is processed ? Is the discount -100€ on the sales price deducted at the check out or is it already taken into account so you pay full amount as indicated in the catalogue ?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:52 am
BRC

Programs: UA 1K, AF Platinum
I seem to be in the minority here, but I'm a big fan. Back in 2016 when I first got the suitcase it caused a lot of head-scratching at check-in, but now I've found that it gets treated exactly as a home-printed luggage tag would (the A4 pieces of paper that go into the plastic sleeves). It's been an appreciable time saver at LH Group hubs to not have to bother getting a paper tag printed and attached before heading to the automatic bag drop.

Originally Posted by CDG 1K
Besides E-Tags not being registered by LX or LH at CDG (paper tags must be printed and attached), I'm now concerned that the new ban might prohibit the E-Tag on CX. I'll be flying CX in a few hours and we'll see how it goes and I'll post back here. The CX lithium battery ban is due to go into effect on Jan 1st. At least the batteries are removable in the worst case scenario.

Granted I've only checked it in with LH at CDG, but they've never blinked. CDG overall is getting more and more automatic bag drop stations (I think SK at T1 is now completely automatic), personally this is a plus for me as it means shorter check-in times and virtually no agent interaction! And thankfully so far no one has remarked on the electronic aspect of the checked bag.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
EWR: ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Check-in staff printed paper tag, so that „baggage handling staff would know“​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
kahuna1993 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:49 pm

QUESTIONS FOR ANY E-TAG OWNERS

I'm in the US and will likely not have a need to use the e-tag any time soon. I did manage to get a cracking deal on a 32" Topas though that was too good to pass up so i plan to just use it for uploading my contact info.

Rimowa states that due the nature of E-ink, even if the battery runs out, the display still keeps the uploaded tag/screen details displayed until a new refresh is sent. With all of the talk of airlines requiring batteries being taken out, is it possible to set the e-tag with say my contact info via upload, and then remove the battery but still keep the display showing my details? Logic would suggest that if it still displays the tag/upload once the battery dies, if i actually took the battery out, it would still stay shown.

Can anyone with an e-tag Rimowa confirm? My Topas does not arrive for another week and im dying the find out!

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.