Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rimowa Electronic Tag [and Lufthansa Group]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
AMS Check-in staff printed paper tag after five minute debate.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: LH HON, SQ QPPS, QR Gold, Sixt Diamond
And a new one from AMS:
  • AMS: "There was a notd three weeks ago from Lufthansa that we cannot accept handprinted baggage tags any more..."
Hello... this is not handprinted... this is electronic! Anyway, useless to debate.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: AC*S100K 1MM, LH FTL, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat
Just got a newsletter from Rimowa - supposedly all of Lufthansa Group is now signed on and in testing (Swiss, Eurowings, Austrian).

The existing agreement of RIMOWA and Lufthansa about the RIMOWA Electronic Tag will be extended to the Lufthansa Group. In August last year, both partners agreed to extend their relationships to the subsidiary airlines Eurowings, SWISS and Austrian Airlines. With the upcoming implementation and test phase of the three group members, a further step has been taken to expand the RIMOWA Electronic Tag network.
POZ was able to check it in for me. ^ They weren't even that surprised.
The only other time I've used it has been in HAM where obviously it wasn't a problem.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've been shopping for Rimowa, and have been advised that all new checked bags will be manufactured with the Electronic Tag. Here in the US, that adds $115 to the price. What this means in practice is that there's a run on the existing inventory of non E-Tag luggage, since for most of us the extra $$ is a total waste of money. I was in the SF store earlier this week, and heard several customers request that the store attempt to track down non E-Tag items for them. Seems Rimowa may have shot itself in the foot here, though whether the extra (unwanted) cost drives a meaningful number of customers away remains to be seen.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
You're correct. First, most airlines can't process the E-Tag. It adds extra weight to an already heavy bag, and they even want to put it in carry-ons, why? Why do you need an E-Tag on a carry-on besides making it heavier? Topas carry-ons easily weigh half the allowance when empty.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ TPPS, AF Plat, VS Gold, VA Plat, EK Gold, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've been shopping for Rimowa, and have been advised that all new checked bags will be manufactured with the Electronic Tag. Here in the US, that adds $115 to the price. What this means in practice is that there's a run on the existing inventory of non E-Tag luggage, since for most of us the extra $$ is a total waste of money. I was in the SF store earlier this week, and heard several customers request that the store attempt to track down non E-Tag items for them. Seems Rimowa may have shot itself in the foot here, though whether the extra (unwanted) cost drives a meaningful number of customers away remains to be seen.
I was also told this in the SF store yesterday, however they had a lot of stock without E-Tags.. I still chose the E-Tag model out of curiosity more than anything else.

It does make me a little nervous..!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by vantage03
they had a lot of stock without E-Tags..
Only certain styles and colors. I couldn't get a Topas 29 without one. For Salsa Deluxe, there were only two colors available.

Originally Posted by vantage03
It does make me a little nervous..!
Should be fine so long as you don't mind the extra cost.

UA is supposed to be "testing" the E-Tag, but I have a hard time seeing them successfully implementing it in a way that results in any meaningful passenger benefit. If the tag had GPS tracking, it might be worth it to me.
Old May 21, 2017, 5:10 pm

Hrm. My partner and I have Salsa Air carryons and love the, and were thinking about getting matching bags for a trip to Japan (just not Salsa Air). We were going to drive up to the SF store next weekend (we live in SJ) because they don't do a good job of explaining what the differences are (i.e. Salsa vs Salsa Deluxe, etc), at least not that I can find on their website.

Zappos still seems to have, at least in Salsa Deluxe, non-Etag bags available. I like the tech, and the idea of having my contact info that can't get cut off, but $120 for it...ouch.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan
We were going to drive up to the SF store next weekend (we live in SJ) because they don't do a good job of explaining what the differences are (i.e. Salsa vs Salsa Deluxe, etc), at least not that I can find on their website.
They do a nice job of explaining the differences at the store.

Note that if you have any travel to Europe planned, prices are about 35% lower there, and that's for the made in Germany items (as opposed to the made in Canada they sell here in the US).
Old May 22, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Note that if you have any travel to Europe planned, prices are about 35% lower there, and that's for the made in Germany items (as opposed to the made in Canada they sell here in the US).
Sadly, we won't be going to Europe before we go to Japan.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: LH HON
I can see on my electronic tag "priority". In some airports it is a good advantage to have the bag tagged HON. Isn't that possible with the Rimowa electronic tag yet?
And the baggage handlers won't see even the priority wording, as the luggage has not red or red/blue tag for priority or HON/F.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH HON
This morning at check-in: DUS as non-h.ub has no scanner to read the electronic tag at check-in. So they have to manually write the number from the tag to their system. As the friendly and very helpful check-in agent was not sure (by experience), if the system will send the tag no. as receipt to the LH-App, he wrote a little piece of paper to give me the luggage number. Indeed the app continues to show no luggage tag number. Only after loading it on the mobile LH website it was visible. So the check-in in this way lasts about 5 times longer. No prolem today without much traffic, but on a normal Monday a real desaster.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:41 am

There is a 20% off sale for RIMOWAs with e-tag right now at a German online shop (www.taschenkaufhaus.de). Seems like they need to be promoted by discount.

The regular price of i.e. the Salsa Deluxe 3-Suiter 81 is EUR 759,- (USD 892). After all discounts it is EUR 577,- (USD 678) including shipping within Germany and taxes.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: LH
Originally Posted by thbe
There is a 20% off sale for RIMOWAs with e-tag right now at a German online shop (www.taschenkaufhaus.de). Seems like they need to be promoted by discount.

The regular price of i.e. the Salsa Deluxe 3-Suiter 81 is EUR 759,- (USD 892). After all discounts it is EUR 577,- (USD 678) including shipping within Germany and taxes.
Thank you! I have ordered one.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by shady
Thank you! I have ordered one.
Me too. Nice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.