Where to sit on the Boeing 747-400 [merged B744 experience reports]

Old Feb 19, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7ľł © ™

I like 4D too, I would set up an alert in case it becomes available but other single travellers may have also done that
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:26 am

Programs: MM
I've flown in seat 1a and upper deck. Whilst I enjoy the views from the nose, I prefer the quiet and secluded atmosphere of the top deck.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by GBbizflyer
I've flown in seat 1a and upper deck. Whilst I enjoy the views from the nose, I prefer the quiet and secluded atmosphere of the top deck.
How was the view? Was it difficult to take a peek out the window to see the forward view and/or regular view?
Old Feb 20, 2020, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by woodysone
I am a solo traveller planning on flying LH 747-400 business class. I am having a hard time choosing between seat 1K for the forward facing view or upper deck.
Upper deck. Row 1 is ideal for a party of 4; a solo traveler less so. IMO the forward view is an interesting novelty once, but it's not nearly as "forward" as you might think - maybe 30 degrees off axis from a normal window.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
1A is nice for the view for sure.

Examples:

Old Feb 20, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Great view but super, super tight IMO.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by oliver2002
1A is nice for the view for sure.
It's been a while, but if I recall my experiences in the nose of a 747, those videos are pulling every trick in the book to enhance the forward view, and it's nearly impossible to position a human eye (vs a camera lens) to get that exact angle. My memory was of being distinctly disappointed by the experience the first time I tried it - it was still really cool, but nowhere near as much of a "flight deck view" as I was expecting.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: MM
Yes agree the view from nose seat is ok and you do have move your to really benefit. Much prefer upper deck.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
The view in row 1 is not much better, certainly not worth it. However it is a bulkhead row with very wide footwells & that is a benefit IMO. It is also very quiet as there is hardly any traffic in the very front of the plane.

UD also has bulkhead seats and has the side bins as another benefit (row 1 doesn’t have overhead bins). It is also relatively quiet.

With the exception of 4D and the middles in the second main deck section all are 2-2 and no window has direct aisle access. Again bulkheads have an advantage of having the bulkhead not the seat in front to hang on to while doing acrobatics to leave the seat when the neighbor is sleeping.

Unless it is the one and only opportunity to fly in the nose or on the UD of a B747 i would go for any available bulkhead on the UD because of storage space and less difficulty climbing over the neighbor.
findark likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 4:38 pm

I think I am going for upper deck. Would you recommend row 83 or 85 or 86 for window seat.

Last edited by woodysone; Feb 21, 2020 at 3:35 pm
Old Feb 21, 2020, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by MichielR
The view in row 1 is not much better, certainly not worth it. However it is a bulkhead row with very wide footwells & that is a benefit IMO. It is also very quiet as there is hardly any traffic in the very front of the plane.

UD also has bulkhead seats and has the side bins as another benefit (row 1 doesn’t have overhead bins). It is also relatively quiet.

With the exception of 4D and the middles in the second main deck section all are 2-2 and no window has direct aisle access. Again bulkheads have an advantage of having the bulkhead not the seat in front to hang on to while doing acrobatics to leave the seat when the neighbor is sleeping.

Unless it is the one and only opportunity to fly in the nose or on the UD of a B747 i would go for any available bulkhead on the UD because of storage space and less difficulty climbing over the neighbor.
Is it much quieter than UD?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woodysone
I think I am going for upper deck. Would you recommend row 83 or 85 or 86 for window seat.
83 barring any other concerns, but they're all fine and I would pick the side of the plane I wanted above anything else.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by findark
83 barring any other concerns, but they're all fine and I would pick the side of the plane I wanted above anything else.
I would second row 83 as the first choice. Further away from the galley and no seat behind you (not that it's a huge deal).
Old Sep 5, 2021, 5:02 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
LH 747-400 seats

I notice on the main deck in BC there is one seat which seems to be a single seat 4D. I know it is near the galley but seems to be a stand alone and away from other seats. Any observations regarding this seat would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by sfo; Sep 5, 2021 at 5:03 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 5, 2021, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I thought LH no longer flies the 747-400?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.