Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

"Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade for 90-160 EUR) on regional European flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade for 90-160 EUR) on regional European flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Post "Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade for 90-160 EUR) on regional European flights

Found this today. So the United TOD concept from 2012 is coming to LH too....

"Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade) is available since end of July

The principle of ‘Smile’ is offering every customer exactly what they need at the right moment in time. The first Smile service has now been personalised in the form of a Business Class upgrade on offer for a fee, which has been available with the new Europe fares since the end of July.

All passengers with an Economy Class ticket for European routes can purchase an upgrade to Business Class after they have made their booking and can even choose to upgrade once they have arrived at the airport. Lufthansa additionally offers this upgrade to specific passengers in a targeted manner. “Previously when introducing new products we were only able to address all of our customers unfiltered – or not at all. We want to avoid this information overload in future by giving our customers precisely the information that is relevant to them.”, explains Smile Programme Manager Marcus Casey. Instead of being publicised nationwide, the so-called Cash Upgrade is being offered to passengers in their booking confirmation e-mails. But only to those passengers to whom the offer is relevant, namely Economy guests and before notifying customers of the cash upgrade, in future the availability will, for example, be checked.

In order to find out which customers are interested in which offer, the Smile analytics experts have furthermore combed through mountains of historic booking data, searched for patterns, and projected upgrade affinities. The project team will now define rules for the sales pitch on the basis of these analyses and in conjunction with new findings from the first wave of communication (cash upgrade offer via the reservation confirmation email): “Which customer should receive the offer, and via which channel? This sounds simple, but among other things it requires groundwork, because not every communication channel is able to implement the required selections”, explains Dr. Alexander Prinz, who is leading the team of SMILE analysts. “The challenge, for example, lies in finding out whether for a certain group of customers it makes more sense to push the offer via pre-flight mail, or whether there is a greater probability of the customer taking advantage of the offer if it is placed on the homepage." The offer will be gradually extended to cover further communication channels in a targeted manner.

The next Smile projects are already waiting in the wings. In autumn, for example, a pilot project for personalised offers at the airport will be launched. You can also find more information on the programme on the Smile eBase pages.

What is the Cash Upgrade?

The "Cash Upgrade" enables Economy Class passengers to purchase an upgrade to Business Class for a fixed fee* in a quick process that only takes a few clicks on the lh.com website or in person at the ticket desk. An extension of the upgrade service to involve other sales channels is also planned to take place.

Text: Nathalie Weidmann, FRA JP/MP
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: SK*G
Anyone knows if the milage accrual will be according to the originally booked class or to the upgraded class? Difficult to say from the webpage, but at least increased milage accural is not mentioned as one of the benefits of upgrading..

Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The absence of any mileage icon among the 'extras' strongly suggests you will only get the miles for the original booked class.

I'm offered 75 GBP per segment to upgrade flights in late October but considering 75 GBP is about 102 EUR today it doesn't seem like a good value.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Saw the offer for the first time in my bookings on lh.com today:

View Screen Capture

View Screen Capture

Interestingly I only see this on the FRA flight I booked in T-Light, no such offer on BRU and OSL flights I booked earlier (in H and Q)
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:51 am

OSL-FRA-MAD I get an offer for 865 NOK (92 Euro) for each leg booked in S.

So no upgraded miles then? I might have taken the offer if no status, but for a meal and free middle seat I don't think so.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Seems pretty silly... why upgrade to C on shorthaul flights? The seat is the same awful NEV one....
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by entropy
Seems pretty silly... why upgrade to C on shorthaul flights? The seat is the same awful NEV one....
For people having no lounge access due to status, it might make a little more sense, and for slightly longer flights (2 hours) a free guaranteed seat next to you is also a plus.

Personally I think 79€ for such an upgrade isn't THAT bad of an offer..
Old Aug 26, 2015, 7:22 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
As the icons suggest you get a "full" meal, empty middle seat, Business Class check-in, Business Class lounge access, fast lane security and magazines! @:-)

It looks like you don't get additional baggage allowance.

Does anyone know if it's a flat rate regardless of the distance? All my segments are under 2 hours.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 8:04 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
IMO this is a fair price even when not getting the biz miles. I would definitely consider it on some flights. BA offers upgrades at the airport on FRA-LHR usually for 130 EUR oneway, so the LH pricing we see here seems to be reasonable.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
a free guaranteed seat next to you is also a plus.
On most Lufty Economy flights, the middle seat next to me is empty in 80% of all flights.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Not sure if it's connected or OS had been doing it for a while, but I got an offer to buy up for 109€ each on KSC-VIE-FRA a couple weeks ago. No miles were mentioned on OS either.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I saw this a week or so ago and forgot to post it. Actually, I thought you would have all seen it and dismissed it as irrelevant. Given how fiercely they seemed to protect the business cabin (unlike SWISS with their offers) it seems an unusual step to take. But I pretty well recall reading that the upgrades rebook into P-class. But I have nothing in the way of proof to back that up, unfortunately.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
I did notice the 'We are checking if cash upgrades are possible for your booking' when viewing one of my bookings. Nothing showed up anyway.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: SK*G
Seems like all the details are presentet here: http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Cash-...Business-Class

Among others:
The credit of status and award miles under the Miles & More frequent flyer programme is made on the basis of the originally booked Economy Class fare.

Still, according to the table, it seems like you will be transferred to a different booking class, for example from L/K to P. Wonder if that will affect the accrual with other SA-programs such as EuroBonus? Probably not I guess..
Old Aug 27, 2015, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexanderc
Seems like all the details are presentet here: http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Cash-...Business-Class
Thank you for the link!

The translation table is cool. I doubt they can surpress the mileage credit to other FFP. The OS and LX system completely rebooks the ticket coupon. I presume LH does the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.