Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by pinknika
How can all of us go on the same flight with some of us using points?? Thank you.
Hello pinknika and welcome to FT!

I'm afraid you are looking at it the wrong way. You should first find award availability for two, and then book the rest of the tickets on the same flight you have found. Unfortunately flexibility and/or perseverance are key when using awards.

Also you don't really say what route you're looking for, but since I'm assuming you are departing from the US you probably have to be extra flexible. Also make sure, if flying Y, to carefully compare the cost of taxes for an award ticket vs the total cost of a cash ticket, it might not be worth using your points.
pinknika likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinknika
Hi, I am trying to take my family to Hungary. There are 6 of us going, 2 of us are going to try to fly with reward points only. How do we go about doing this? I've researched for the past 3 hours and the flights that everyone is going to book aren't available with rewards points. We have chase points which I researched you can transfer to United and book a Lufthansa flight. When I go to the United website that particular flight for Lufthansa is not listed. How can all of us go on the same flight with some of us using points?? Thank you.
The flight with saver/off peak award availability may not be the same flight with lowest price cash fares.
Splitting your party to 3 + 3 or other combination may give better results
As would an award/cash flights to somewhere in Eu and then train or local flight to Hungry.
The more restrictions you self impose the harder it will be

https://www.awardhacker.com/#f=New%2...=0&c=y&s=1&p=0
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=NYC-FRA-BUD&MS=wls&DU=mi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budape...tional_Airport
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:16 pm

Baggage routing/access

This seems to be the most appropriate place to ask my question.

One award ticket - MLA/FRA/CDG/BKK/PNH - all J except CDG/BKK in F - not that it matters. This routing necessitated a layover at CDG for 16 hours. Will the LH rep at MLA allow me to check my bag through to CDG, then I'll retrieve it, and recheck it to BKK/PNH?

I ask because I just had a oneworld experience where I had a overnight layover in London, but the check in rep at the origin refused to let me have my bag overnight (and of course it was lost/delayed, but easy to deal with because it was all within Europe).

Thanks much!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
One award ticket - MLA/FRA/CDG/BKK/PNH - all J except CDG/BKK in F - not that it matters. This routing necessitated a layover at CDG for 16 hours. Will the LH rep at MLA allow me to check my bag through to CDG, then I'll retrieve it, and recheck it to BKK/PNH?
Where are you connecting on CDG-BKK? If through FRA you will have a problem, as you can't have the same airport twice iirc.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Where are you connecting on CDG-BKK? If through FRA you will have a problem, as you can't have the same airport twice iirc.
I'll be staying the night in CDG and then CDG-BKK next day.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
This seems to be the most appropriate place to ask my question.

!
Yes, IME never a problem short checking bags with LH group, you have a valid reason for doing so.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by chris63

Yes, IME never a problem short checking bags with LH group, you have a valid reason for doing so.
The LH desk agent (I assume contract staff) at MLA proactively asked if I wanted to have the bag only checked through to CDG. So, maybe it is a oneworld policy to check bags all the way through? (The feedback that I received due to my oneworld delayed bag was essentially a desk agent could 'overlook' checking a bag all the way through, but it is generally policy to check the bag all the way through unless a stopover was specifically noted on the itinerary.)

The potential bad news is that the desk agent could only see that I was traveling to BKK and not on to PNH (again - all one PNR). Uh oh...off to fix that now...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
The LH desk agent (I assume contract staff) at MLA proactively asked if I wanted to have the bag only checked through to CDG. So, maybe it is a oneworld policy to check bags all the way through? (The feedback that I received due to my oneworld delayed bag was essentially a desk agent could 'overlook' checking a bag all the way through, but it is generally policy to check the bag all the way through unless a stopover was specifically noted on the itinerary.)

The potential bad news is that the desk agent could only see that I was traveling to BKK and not on to PNH (again - all one PNR). Uh oh...off to fix that now...
One World certainly have different rules from *A , their lounge rules are much more generous

But *A are usually accommodating on reasonable baggage requests.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium
I'm sure this has been asked before but please humour me. The LH website won't show me the fare classes (not to mention the full fare rules) for a multicity reservation. I'm sure this is how the LH website is "supposed" to work so is the only (online) way to find out the booking class and fare rules to book and then cancel within 24 hours if it ends up being P class? The 24 hour refund does apply to non-refundable tickets too, right?

LH.com is vastly cheaper than the OTAs, some of which show fare classes and fare rules, indicating that their ticket is refundable compared to the non-refundable one on LH.com. Others don't show this information so I'm wary of booking with them, as I don't want to end up paying a lot more for a non-refundable fare that I could have got much cheaper on LH.com.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
The 24 hour refund does apply to non-refundable tickets too, right?
Yes.

In any case, I'd advise you to call in, piece the itinerary on the phone and ask for the fare conditions before paying. I don't know how much money is at stake but I'd rather avoid chasing them for the refund later on if I were you.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
Yes.

In any case, I'd advise you to call in, piece the itinerary on the phone and ask for the fare conditions before paying. I don't know how much money is at stake but I'd rather avoid chasing them for the refund later on if I were you.
Good advice, thanks! It's not a cheap ticket by any means so it may be well worth a phone call to find out what I would be buying before I hit "pay" if they're that bad at refunds.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by gpb_croppers63
Good advice, thanks! It's not a cheap ticket by any means so it may be well worth a phone call to find out what I would be buying before I hit "pay" if they're that bad at refunds.
I wouldn't say they are "that bad at refunds". They're are just not (fully) automated and take a bit of time to process.
chris63 and gpb_croppers63 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
I wouldn't say they are "that bad at refunds". They're are just not (fully) automated and take a bit of time to process.
Thanks for the further clarification. A phone call still sounds like a good idea though.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:55 am

I want to skip the last segment of a flight, HEL- FRA - DXB/DXB - FRA - HEL. I have searched the forum but the last reference to doing this is from 2010 so I wonder if this is still possible without LH repricing the whole itinerary and trying to charge me.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Greenpen
I want to skip the last segment of a flight, HEL- FRA - DXB/DXB - FRA - HEL. I have searched the forum but the last reference to doing this is from 2010 so I wonder if this is still possible without LH repricing the whole itinerary and trying to charge me.
Without checked luggage, just don't show for the last flight. With checked luggage, make sure you have a loooong layover in FRA and ask in DXB to short check to FRA. If they refuse, you can always try to ask in FRA to retrieve your luggage if you explain that you don't feel well and are not fit to fly further, but the result is not guaranteed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.