Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:34 pm

What is the upgrade policy on LH for a flight booked with award miles?

I used a bunch of LifeMiles to put myself and my husband in Biz class on a MEX>FRA flight, LH metal. A week later after I booked our tix our daughter just learned she was accepted at grad school in Germany so I booked a seat in Y for her. Well, here it is a month later and I have since acquired a bunch more Chase Rewards points as well as additional LifeMiles.

I would like to move our daughter up to PE or J with us. Can I do so, and if so, how? I recall doing it with United sometime ago, additonal 20K points and $550 or something like that. Can it be done in advance, or is it easier to do (if possible) at the gate? Otherwise I have her stuck waaaaay in the back of the bus so she can, hopefully, at least have a vacant seat next to her.

Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by elizadoo
What is the upgrade policy on LH for a flight booked with award miles?
LH will not touch your ticket booked with LM until 24h from departure. I am not familiar with LM but if there is more award space just call them, cancel the Y ticket and book the new one.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso
LH will not touch your ticket booked with LM until 24h from departure. I am not familiar with LM but if there is more award space just call them, cancel the Y ticket and book the new one.
Thanks. You're right--thing to do is cancel, redeposit the miles, and rebook.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by elizadoo
Thanks. You're right--thing to do is cancel, redeposit the miles, and rebook.
Beware that the time between cancelling and the miles being available for you to use again may be non neglectible.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:01 pm
lsi

Hi guys, very limited experience with Lufthansa so if there is an easy answer to this that I just haven't found then I apologize, buut...

Myself and her indoors have got a booking this sommer for DUB-MUC-BUD with BUD-FRA-DUB on the return. Since we've got a 3 hour wait in FRA on the way back (yey) I was thinking about upgrading us for the last leg (FRA-DUB) so we'd have lounge while we wait. I've logged in to alter my booking but it says that "The upgrade booking class Business is not available on this flight." (for all of the legs). Now, I have a hard time imagining that the flights are sold out. Is the unavailability due to our booking class or some such? Will it become available closer to the dates of travel (late August)? Is there a very obvious answer to this that I'm just not aware of?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by lsi
Hi guys, very limited experience with Lufthansa so if there is an easy answer to this that I just haven't found then I apologize, buut...

Myself and her indoors have got a booking this sommer for DUB-MUC-BUD with BUD-FRA-DUB on the return. Since we've got a 3 hour wait in FRA on the way back (yey) I was thinking about upgrading us for the last leg (FRA-DUB) so we'd have lounge while we wait. I've logged in to alter my booking but it says that "The upgrade booking class Business is not available on this flight." (for all of the legs). Now, I have a hard time imagining that the flights are sold out. Is the unavailability due to our booking class or some such? Will it become available closer to the dates of travel (late August)? Is there a very obvious answer to this that I'm just not aware of?
Only thing you can do is keep checking, it might open up
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:21 pm
lsi

Originally Posted by chris63

Only thing you can do is keep checking, it might open up
Thanks! So this is a common state of affairs?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by lsi
Thanks! So this is a common state of affairs?
Yes, revenue management plan for the flight to reach capacity, if it’s not quite working out adjustments are made in pricing & upgrade availability
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:22 am
lsi

Originally Posted by chris63

Yes, revenue management plan for the flight to reach capacity, if it’s not quite working out adjustments are made in pricing & upgrade availability
Alright thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:34 am

Hi. Looking for a trip out of MAD to DUS. Most lfights LH offers are connecting in FRA to the train, destination QDU. I think I know about getting from the Terminal
to the Flughafen train station. But will I need to exchange an online LH ticket to a DB train ticket at the DB service center? Or do I just board a train to DUS, LH ticket
in hand. Is there a pre booked train number on the ticket or is any train o.k. to board. How about the return from DUS Hauptbahnhof?

And if someone can respond about a train luggage question please. I imagine LH will not take the luggage all the way to DUS ( QDU ) for pick up there. So do we
take our luggage on to the train into our 2nd class compartment ( or row? Last experience with German railroad is over 60 years ago in 3rd class. ). or is there a
way to store it in a dedicated luggage hold like here in Japan. How about safety ( stealing ) if unsupervised ?

Thanks for your help and patience.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Hi. Looking for a trip out of MAD to DUS. Most lfights LH offers are connecting in FRA to the train, destination QDU. I think I know about getting from the Terminal
to the Flughafen train station. But will I need to exchange an online LH ticket to a DB train ticket at the DB service center? Or do I just board a train to DUS, LH ticket
in hand. Is there a pre booked train number on the ticket or is any train o.k. to board. How about the return from DUS Hauptbahnhof?

And if someone can respond about a train luggage question please. I imagine LH will not take the luggage all the way to DUS ( QDU ) for pick up there. So do we
take our luggage on to the train into our 2nd class compartment ( or row? Last experience with German railroad is over 60 years ago in 3rd class. ). or is there a
way to store it in a dedicated luggage hold like here in Japan. How about safety ( stealing ) if unsupervised ?

Thanks for your help and patience.
1. For the train you don’t do anything with switching tickets with DB. You will get a Lufthansa boarding pass for the train, just like a plain ticket. The attendant will then scan your “boarding pass”. No worries, nothing complicated to do.

2. For your suitcase, you will need to collect it and take it to the train yourself. There are luggage storage racks on each carriage and overhead storage for small bags / cases. You will collect your baggage from a different area, at the long distance train place. Again it’s nothing to worry about, just ask the staff when you land and they can happily help.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lewis42

1. For the train you don’t do anything with switching tickets with DB. You will get a Lufthansa boarding pass for the train, just like a plain ticket. The attendant will then scan your “boarding pass”. No worries, nothing complicated to do.

2. For your suitcase, you will need to collect it and take it to the train yourself. There are luggage storage racks on each carriage and overhead storage for small bags / cases. You will collect your baggage from a different area, at the long distance train place. Again it’s nothing to worry about, just ask the staff when you land and they can happily help.
Thanks a million for this detailed and very helpful reply. Just booked and confirmed it and look forward tot he trip. Again my thanks!
Lewis42 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Booked Premium Economy on OS, USA-VIE-Europe. Have confirmed seat on the longer leg in Y+ on a 767. Shorter leg is A320 (321?) with obviously no Y+, but booking class is "Y." They want $55 for exit row. Is there no way of getting that for free, or even reduced? Seems like a lot of money for a short flight which is part of a Y+ booking and is itself in full fare Y.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:04 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott
Hi all. I had an interesting Lufthansa GPU experience and want to share to see if any others have seen this. I booked a paid 016 P class ticket from JFK to FRA in Early october (late flight). I saw a post that said my GPU my work for a LH upgrade into O, so I called United and asked, after trying to use the online tool repeatedly.

The CS agent and supervisor repeatedly told me this was not possible and against the rules, but after a few minutes agreed to `modify' my ticket somehow so I could at least make the request through the online tool.I am not exactly sure what was done to my ticket, they described it but it didn't click with me.

After this was complete, I tried to use the online tool again, and I kept getting an error in the request saying `this is not a request that can be approved' in the online tool, or something like this.

Today, I just went online again to the United site for *a requests and tried again. TOTALLY different experience. The upgrade request was received and confirmed and now I am officially in O waitlist on the flight. Maybe it will clear, maybe not, but super cool that I might be able to use a GPU to check out a P class? Super cool, especially since on my flight home (FRA->IAD, all first seats are open, but I can't use a GPU for the upgrade as we know (thought the miles and $550 upgrade option is available in my record under upgrade request options). Any way, curious if others have seen this and what might cause my record to give an error on the day the united agent made a change to my record but working now. And will there be any negative consequences towards accruals by the change to my ticket people have seen?

And of course, it is possible that I was not filling out the form properly last week, in my situation user error is always an option! : ) Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
That is mostly a UA question, but the relevant conversion is usually from a UA-marketed segment to an LH-marketed (native) segment. The latter is required for the GPU request tool to work, but if buying from the UA website you will usually get the UA code. It may have taken a little while for systems to sync up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.