Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by silver_halide
Interesting, that's only on the desktop page. The mobile version of the page (https://mobile.lufthansa.com/bag/rules_post.jsp?l=en) doesn't contain that bit.

Thanks for the clarification.
If your mobile device allows it click 'Website' at the bottom of the page to view the desktop version.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:44 pm

HEL-MUN-PMI business

What can I excpect? Two full varm meals with champagne gognac and a hangover in Palma?

Last edited by ylefin; Feb 11, 2016 at 6:49 pm Reason: Wrong airport code
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Sorry if this is a silly question:

I'm flying MAN-FRA-IAH, with MAN-FRA on LH and FRA-IAH on UA. If I am not checking any bags and the LH mobile app will allow me to check in, can I skip the check-in desk at MAN and go straight through security or will I have to stop their for the twenty questions and the passport check since my final destination is in the US (or will they do that in FRA)?

Also, am I right in thinking that since I booked with UA, I can't get a seat assignment on the LH MAN-FRA flight until T-23?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:59 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by ylefin
What can I excpect? Two full varm meals with champagne gognac and a hangover in Palma?
Depends on the time of day. HEL-MUC has warm meal in C around lunch and dinner time. PMI is the same, otherwise cold plate. LH C (and Y) has sparkling German wine, no champagne. They have plenty of strong stuff in the drinks trolley, I don't recall if it included cognac.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiftaw
Sorry if this is a silly question:

I'm flying MAN-FRA-IAH, with MAN-FRA on LH and FRA-IAH on UA. If I am not checking any bags and the LH mobile app will allow me to check in, can I skip the check-in desk at MAN and go straight through security or will I have to stop their for the twenty questions and the passport check since my final destination is in the US (or will they do that in FRA)?

Also, am I right in thinking that since I booked with UA, I can't get a seat assignment on the LH MAN-FRA flight until T-23?
No question is silly in this thread.

Yes, you can skip the check-in desk at MAN. As long as you have a BP to FRA on your mobile they'll let you through security.

Since I expect you will be on the early morning flight you will probably be dropped at a (bus) gate in FRA which feeds passengers into secure area and thus avoiding transfer security check. Also since both the UK and US are non-Schengen there won't be passport control either. However, there will be document (passport) check by the departure gate for IAH.

If you can look up your reservation on LH.com you should be able to select a seat for MAN-FRA before T-23 depending on the booking class.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
No question is silly in this thread.

Yes, you can skip the check-in desk at MAN. As long as you have a BP to FRA on your mobile they'll let you through security.

Since I expect you will be on the early morning flight you will probably be dropped at a (bus) gate in FRA which feeds passengers into secure area and thus avoiding transfer security check. Also since both the UK and US are non-Schengen there won't be passport control either. However, there will be document (passport) check by the departure gate for IAH.

If you can look up your reservation on LH.com you should be able to select a seat for MAN-FRA before T-23 depending on the booking class.
Thanks, yes, my flight is about 9am out of MAN, getting to FRA about 11:30am, with my outgoing flight leaving at about 1:45pm.

I can see the reservation at LH.com (UA gave me the LH Booking Code) however I get an error message when I try to Add/Change Seats.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Thanks, yes, my flight is about 9am out of MAN, getting to FRA about 11:30am, with my outgoing flight leaving at about 1:45pm.
Ah, you must be flying after the end of March when the summer timetable starts. @:-) You still have some chance of being dropped into secure area. If the flight from MAN arrives at a B gate or at a bus gate other than AEUW (don't worry what it stands for ) you will unfortunately have to go through transfer security in FRA.

I can see the reservation at LH.com (UA gave me the LH Booking Code) however I get an error message when I try to Add/Change Seats.
You could call LH for seat assignment if it's important to you.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 12:58 am

Ah, you must be flying after the end of March when the summer timetable starts. @:-) You still have some chance of being dropped into secure area. If the flight from MAN arrives at a B gate or at a bus gate other than AEUW (don't worry what it stands for ) you will unfortunately have to go through transfer security in FRA.

You could call LH for seat assignment if it's important to you.
Great, thanks.

How does LH do general boarding, back-to-front? window-to-isle? All I'm hoping for is to board early enough that there is still a little overhead space for my bag.

Last edited by swiftaw; Feb 12, 2016 at 1:08 am
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:11 am
Original Poster

How does LH do general boarding, back-to-front? window-to-isle?
In MAN? Business and SEN/HON/*G first (sometimes but not always those requiring assistance before them), then no control over the rest. Sometimes they try to board pax at the back before those in the front.

If you are concerned about storing your carry-on, don't worry. Flights in Europe are not like those in the US. As long as your hand luggage is within the size limit they will find space for it.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:20 am

If you are concerned about storing your carry-on, don't worry. Flights in Europe are not like those in the US. As long as your hand luggage is within the size limit they will find space for it.
And if it's over the size limit (or weight limit) LH Group staff will happily take your $$$ and gate check it
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
And if it's over the size limit (or weight limit) LH Group staff will happily take your $$$ and gate check it
How strict are they with the size/weigh limit? Do the size and weigh every bag at the gate?

My bag certainly meets the size limit. If the weight limit is strict that will limit how much chocolate & tea I can bring back
Old Feb 12, 2016, 2:01 am
Original Poster

How strict are they with the size/weigh limit? Do the size and weigh every bag at the gate?

My bag certainly meets the size limit. If the weight limit is strict that will limit how much chocolate & tea I can bring back
More strict with the size than weight.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...-feedback.html

I've never seen anyone checking the size/weight of bags at the gate in MAN.

There are posters all over MAN that you can take one duty-free bag on top of your carry-on allowance but the airport is probably not the best place for souvenir shopping. I have bought both chocolate and tea at MAN by the way.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:07 am

Just bring alongside one or two "old" DutyFree bags As they're not counting, you can basically stuff inside as much as you want.

In theory, they're super strict about both size and weight, but due to the "duty free bag trick", they're basically only able to cash in from those not knowing it, and those indeed bringing an oversize bag.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Depends on the time of day. HEL-MUC has warm meal in C around lunch and dinner time. PMI is the same, otherwise cold plate. LH C (and Y) has sparkling German wine, no champagne. They have plenty of strong stuff in the drinks trolley, I don't recall if it included cognac.
Thanks. Lunchtime start so probably two full meals, lunch AND dinner. Hopefully not the same menu so I can have kind of tasting menu. Have to take a non-drinking period before - and maybe after.

Last edited by ylefin; Feb 12, 2016 at 7:14 am Reason: No text
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by ylefin
Thanks. Lunchtime start so probably two full meals, lunch AND dinner. Hopefully not the same menu so I can have kind of tasting menu. Have to take a non-drinking period before - and maybe after.
I think your expectations about the food in European short-haul C are too high. The food is not bad but you can't call two of those meals a tasting menu.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.