Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by klausa
UA/NH *G works too.
I knew I should have added some * and ** and ***

(Seriously LH, you must have completed the course "How to make things difficult" with extra certitifications )
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:51 am

(I'm curious though, does EW/4U market their "BEST" fare as Y or C? It has blocked middle seat, lounge access and food... so basically the same as mainline LH. *If* the UA redemption books into BEST, then it's the same story with lounge access as if were LH C.)
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:47 pm

Thanks & another question about lounge access!

You have all provided invaluable information & freed me from loud squawks from Mr. BB when he found he would not have lounge access for the long layover! Much appreciated. And the information about Eurowings/Germanwings & their carryon policy - also invaluable.

Can you tell me what I AM looking for in these common situations where US-Europe is in business while the following flight intra-Europe is in economy? For a non-status person, is access ever allowed? Sounds like possibly if both airlines are Star Alliance?

Any additional help very much appreciated!

PS Klausa, the UA redemption for DUS-PRG on EW was in U, so I'm thinking that it's not "best."
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bergy Bits
Can you tell me what I AM looking for in these common situations where US-Europe is in business while the following flight intra-Europe is in economy? For a non-status person, is access ever allowed? Sounds like possibly if both airlines are Star Alliance?
The LH lounges are departure lounges so (with some exceptions) access is dependent on your departing flight. Some of the exceptions are: *G status, Welcome/Arrival Lounge in FRA and arrival in First Class. Unfortunately none of these apply in your situation.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:44 pm

Thank you NewbieRunner, I see that it's all important that the intra-Europe flight in my case be in business. This is the case with the icky late-arriving itinerary I have now. It may end up being my permanent one! Thank you (and everyone else) again for the clarification.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:35 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bergy Bits
Thank you NewbieRunner, I see that it's all important that the intra-Europe flight in my case be in business. This is the case with the icky late-arriving itinerary I have now. It may end up being my permanent one! Thank you (and everyone else) again for the clarification.
Sorry, I can't quite follow your various itineraries but which airport are you talking about? I don't think it's worth changing your intra-Europe flight to Business just to gain access to a Business Lounge if you can find a more convenient connecting flight in Economy.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by seichel
Unfortunately when we fly overseas we often connect with Lufthansa due to the Alliance program. All the perks you get with United goes out the window
As someone already said, I'm not really sure which perks you're talking about. Lufthansa doesn't give away Premium Economy seats to anyone, since it's a completely different cabin, not just seats with more legroom as in United. On short haul flights, there's a perk that EVERYONE gets that United never has - actual complimentary food and drinks onboard :P

Oh, and exit row seat reservation. That's the only real thing you don't get if you're flying Lufthansa without Lufthansa (Senator) status.

and depending who is at the door scanning tickets will determine if your carryon will onboard.
You know what's the best way to avoid this? Have IATA-approved cabin bags that conform to airlines' dimensions. The fact that most people manage to get larger bags on board does not make it a rule. Actually, it infuriates me since because of those types I may have no room to store my (regulation) bag overhead.

As a disclaimer, my husband works for a German company and is German on his father's side of the family so I say this respectively,the flight attendants are usually rude or curt.
That's just the German "hospitality". And I don't mean it in a derogatory way. They are cold and distant, but at least when they smile, you know they smile sincerely, not because their corporate training had them brainwashed to have their mouths stretched at all times. I, on the other hand, find United's exaggerated cheerfulness annoying.

Forget about having to deal with getting your points being credited to United, I wound up calling a Lufthansa agent that was based in N.Y. to get this resolved.
I really don't know how you managed to get there. I'm a United 1K *and* a Miles and More Senator, I regularly fly Lufthansa group airlines on long haul and short haul routes, and never ever did I have a problem crediting my miles to United if my United FF number was on the booking.

Instead of being pissed off at the airline, accept that there are cultural differences, and perhaps analyse what you're doing wrong when it comes to crediting flights - that'll make your flying experience much more enjoyable
Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by hdogan
As someone already said, I'm not really sure which perks you're talking about. Lufthansa doesn't give away Premium Economy seats to anyone, since it's a completely different cabin, not just seats with more legroom as in United. On short haul flights, there's a perk that EVERYONE gets that United never has - actual complimentary food and drinks onboard :P

Oh, and exit row seat reservation. That's the only real thing you don't get if you're flying Lufthansa without Lufthansa (Senator) status.

However, they're still unoccupied, you can still select them during OLCI if you're *G.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2016-]

I'm flying on OS from ZRH to VIE tomorrow and I wanted to ask, how strict are the SWISS lounges in ZRH with regard to having a physical *G card for lounge access? My (partner airline) *G status isn't showing correctly on my boarding pass, it's just listed as "FQTV". And I don't have my physical *G card yet, just a card printout.

Also, which lounge should I choose? Departing from terminal A/B area.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: UA Plat; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hyatt Gold; Hertz Gold
Carry on camera bag and laptop

Hi,

I'm travelling Lufthansa tomorrow, YVR-FRA-OPO, and then again in a few weeks OPO-FRA-LHR, all Economy. I was planning on taking my camera bag (well actually a camera backpack) and my laptop bag as carry-on.

I just noticed they only allow one carry-on.Will I be ok? Does LH have an allowance for 1 carry-on plus 1 personal, or 1 carry-on plus a camera like some other airlines?

I'm not sure what to do if this won't be permitted, since I don't want to check either, and neither piece of equipment will fit in the other bag.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by silver_halide
I'm travelling Lufthansa tomorrow, YVR-FRA-OPO, and then again in a few weeks OPO-FRA-LHR, all Economy. I was planning on taking my camera bag (well actually a camera backpack) and my laptop bag as carry-on.
You'll be fine. If you read here you'll see that you are allowed a carry on up to 8kg and an additional item such as laptop bag or handbag. Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by FlyingJoy
I'm flying on OS from ZRH to VIE tomorrow and I wanted to ask, how strict are the SWISS lounges in ZRH with regard to having a physical *G card for lounge access? My (partner airline) *G status isn't showing correctly on my boarding pass, it's just listed as "FQTV". And I don't have my physical *G card yet, just a card printout.

Also, which lounge should I choose? Departing from terminal A/B area.
In ZRH they're definitely more on the strict side, but a printout should do the job (after a bit of discussion) - the best Lounge (or better said, the only decent *G one) is the LX Senator in Dock E - which would, in your case, mean a trip "out" of Schengen, via the Heidi train (and back) - probably not worth if you're just waiting an hour or less for your flight. Other than that, you'll find the Senator A lounge has "ok" coffee, and if you're into bread (with jam/sweets etc.) for breakfast, it's going to be fine. For lunch/dinner, the food really isn't much to talk about, hopefully will be improved now too that the LX hub _finally_ got its first decent lounges (apart from F)
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
You'll be fine. If you read here you'll see that you are allowed a carry on up to 8kg and an additional item such as laptop bag or handbag. Enjoy your trip!
I'm sure you're correct, and I must be missing it, but I don't see any mention of an additional item.

Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by silver_halide
I'm sure you're correct, and I must be missing it, but I don't see any mention of an additional item.
Just scroll down the page where you will see:

Other carry-on baggage rules

Also allowed in the cabin: another item of carry-on baggage (max. 30 x 40 x 10 cm, e.g. handbag, laptop bag), one baby carrier per child or a child’s car seat or a foldable pushchair/buggy (may have to be transported in the cargo hold) and wheelchairs/orthopaedic aids (e.g. walking aids).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Just scroll down the page where you will see:
Interesting, that's only on the desktop page. The mobile version of the page (https://mobile.lufthansa.com/bag/rules_post.jsp?l=en) doesn't contain that bit.

Thanks for the clarification.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.